Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2017, 07:23 AM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

Do I need an APEX?

Hi there,

I am still gathering all the info and equipment I'll need to setup my first tank ever. Stuff is starting to show up at home!! Very excited.

Until now, I didn't have an APEX in my plans. To be honest I am not even clear of what its function is. By reading and looking it up online I see it is a device that allows to control power to several things in the tank. Is this a must have from the beginning or is a "make your life easier" kind of investment? If the latter...how much easier?

My setup so far is:

- Reefer 350 with 2X Hydra26
- Reef Octopus Classic 152-s Skimmer
- Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump
- 2X Jebao PP8 powerheads

Thank you as usual!

allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 07:33 AM   #2
hubtech
Registered Member

Need? No.... But from what I understand once configured they make reef life easier.

hubtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 08:12 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You absolutely do not need a reef controller to run a tank.. (APEX is only one brand.. there are others too)
Its functionality is very clear..

Unread 08/25/2017, 08:22 AM   #4
vhuang168
Registered Member

No you do not NEED a controller. Especially if this is your 1st tank. You will need to make decisions setting it up that you have no experience to base on. It will complicate what has already a very steep learning curve.

Keep it simple for now and slowly add pieces as your tank evolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 09:56 AM   #5
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

you don't need one but I certainly like mine. it depends what your plan is. I justified the cost of mine (I have a JR. so the cheaper one) by looking at what it does and seeing the cost of the apex Vs. separate units. For example:

I needed an Auto top off because i know i'm to lazy to top off everyday so I looked at the JBJ which was close to $100 but couldn't send me a text when the reserve was empty so plus for Apex.

then I thought about a heater controller which was about $50 and the apex can do that.

you could definitely not have one and it is a "Nice to have" but get the tank setup and see what you need.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 10:23 AM   #6
LuizW13
Registered Member

Well, if you decide to buy an Apex, you may want to do it within the next couple of days. BRS has a sale on them right now- i'm also in the same boat as you.

LuizW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Optionman
Registered Member

i added an apex to my 150 gal (+25 gal sump) after 3 months. it's nice to be able to monitor salinity/orp/ph/temp, and control all power outlets, via the iphone app.

the best feature for me is the ability to control and monitor my Ca reactor and CO2 regulator via a ph probe in the reactor.

since you dont have one i've posted some pictures below of what the app can display:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2527.jpg (36.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2757.jpg (39.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4157.jpg (39.4 KB, 132 views)
Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 11:15 AM   #8
allendehl
Registered Member

Oh wow...thanks a lot for the explanations and pictures. I believe I'll pass for now because of all the other expenses of a full setup but this is definitely something to have in the shopping list.

Thank you!

Unread 08/25/2017, 12:21 PM   #9
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Probably a good call. Besides, pH isn't an issue, salinity hardly ever changes unless you add water and temperature should be an easy read with a cheap thermometer. How can that justify spending hundreds of dollars?

Unread 08/25/2017, 12:47 PM   #10
vhuang168
Registered Member

Now you have even more incentive to get an Apex. They just announced the Trident!

Not only does it monitor Alk, it does Ca and Mg too!

Unread 08/25/2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Optionman
Registered Member

ron, i agree i wouldnt recommend an apex just to monitor basic parameters, but its ability to notify you of problems such as power failures, pump failures, as well as regulate ATO, wave makers, reactors, etc is worth it once your setup gets extensive.

my apex has notified me of problems with my CA reactor that i wouldnt have known if not for the app. i have enough invested in my set-up to view the apex as both operationally beneficial and insurance (piece of mind).

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 01:10 PM   #12
Etoimos
Registered Member

I setup my first reef aquarium 4 months ago (last one I had was freshwater back in the mid 90s), it is a 60g cube. One of the most haves on my list was a controller of some type. I did not find that it added complexity to my first tank, just the opposite actually. In the beginning I was concerned about all the water parameters and having the Apex let me check those at a glance and move on to other more important and complicated things.

They are by no means a necessity, but I feel they make reefing a manageable hobby for people with a busy family life. I do feel that the basic parameters that it monitors are not as crucial as the tank matures, but the outlet control (heaters, lights, reactors, etc.) is the real power and convenience to it.

Etoimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 02:01 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

I have one and wouldn't go without it. Necessary, of course not, but very helpful

That said, I think the decision to not get one right away is the right decision. You will get to know your tank and its little quirks and when yu do go to a controller you will have more confidence in what, AND WHY, you are doing certain things.

Not sure that makes any sense.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 02:31 PM   #14
allendehl
Registered Member

Thank you very much for all the input folks!! It is clear that it is not needed and, Gary, I agree with you. It is better to go old school for a while so things make sense later instead of just reacting to the controller and w/o knowing the "why" of the things.

Unread 08/25/2017, 02:33 PM   #15
allendehl
Registered Member

Tried to "Edit" but could not find the way.

Just to clarify , when I said "not needed" didn't mean to say "useless" at all, just that is not a requirement to start.

Unread 08/25/2017, 02:45 PM   #16
xCry0x
Registered Member

The Trident looks awesome -- too bad it probably will cost an arm and a leg.

I have managed for years without a name brand controller.

That said, I built a DIY temperature controller and have my lights all on digital timers.

The one thing I would love automated is my alk/ca monitoring & corresponding dosing to keep them balanced. Even with a doser I have always found alk/ca to be a headache -- but that is probably because I bought a used bubble magnus.

Unread 08/25/2017, 06:30 PM   #17
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x View Post
The Trident looks awesome -- too bad it probably will cost an arm and a leg.

Projected price is $500-$600. $40 reagent. 4 tests a day for alk n Ca and 2 a day for Mg.

Unread 08/26/2017, 12:19 AM   #18
Jon0807
Registered Member

There's such a huge learning curve to saltwater tanks that I would learn the basics before I got controllers to control and monitor everything before I even know what they were supposed to control and monitor. People have been reefing for decades without it and have been very successful. Yes they make life easier, but like I said, learn the basics of chemistry first, then move on from there

Unread 08/26/2017, 12:51 AM   #19
PsychoticBeauty
Registered Member.

What's an APEX? If you've got the time to feed your fish once a day couldn't you just cancel this so called APEX out? Do the work in other words...

PsychoticBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 10:48 AM   #20
rrmoore
Registered Member

I don't regret buying mine. It saved my tank from itself mire then a few times.

rrmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 11:05 AM   #21
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Best investment I've ever made for my tank. Why? It paid for itself in one shot when I had a catastrophic leak while at work. I was notified, auto programming shut off all pumps(other than my vortechs) until I got home. I replaced a few power supplies that were splashed, but my stand, carpet, subfloor, trim work, drywall, cabinets, etc were all saved because of my apex. I lost maybe 2 gallons versus worst case 100+gals.

Monitoring is great to glance at, but the safety features that you program in can be life savers.

Do you NEED an Apex, No, BUT to each their own...

Unread 08/27/2017, 02:00 PM   #22
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticBeauty View Post
What's an APEX? If you've got the time to feed your fish once a day couldn't you just cancel this so called APEX out? Do the work in other words...

Can you be by the tank 24/7 356 to make sure your tank doesn't spring a leak?

Can you be by the tank 24/7 356 to see if your return pump sucked up a snail or something jamming it? Thus causing there to be very little to no return this causing your tank temp to drop and oxygen circulation to be lowered so your fish as gasping?

Unread 08/27/2017, 02:48 PM   #23
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Can you be by the tank 24/7 356 to make sure your tank doesn't spring a leak?

Can you be by the tank 24/7 356 to see if your return pump sucked up a snail or something jamming it? Thus causing there to be very little to no return this causing your tank temp to drop and oxygen circulation to be lowered so your fish as gasping?

If I could do 356 why would I take 9 days off?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 03:10 PM   #24
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
If I could do 356 why would I take 9 days off?

Unread 08/27/2017, 04:15 PM   #25
scooters reef
Registered Member

Of COURSE you need an Apex!! What else would any of us have done that have been in this hobby for 40 years without one?

Oh. Ummm. Dang, I didn't have one

I will say I love it though!!! It also gives me the ability to combine my IT knowledge from work, electronics from 13 years as a Navy avionics tech, and an aquarium. Still working on my new build, but my wife and friends call it the "Geek Tank". So, yes, for ME it was a must have Yet, we all survived many, many years without it!!