Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2018, 11:36 PM   #5801
Mike S
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Ted these Maldives Regals have helped a bunch in getting a Regal that does well in our tanks and it doesn't require a pro to get to eat. The four LFS in the San Antonio area that i use will not bring in a Regal to the store to sell even after I tell them how well the Maldives do in my tanks. My two from last year are getting along great and are not that shy especially when it comes to feeding time. The third which came in as a baby I had to trade for corals do to it growing so fast in my office tank. I guess I shouldn't feed the tank 6 times a day sometimes. I know this sounds crazy but I think our fish do better if we spend more time with them versus walk up to the tank feed and walk away. Being in my office 11 hours a day has its advantages.
Yep the medium Maldives that i picked up from LA has been doing fantastic. Was eating the first day and start on proles on day 2. It did do some headshaking the first few days but that has stopped after a freshwater dip and two rounds of prazi.

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 11:07 AM   #5802
alton
Registered Member

Medium juveniles on sale again!

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 11:19 AM   #5803
pfan151
Registered Member

Mine is eating anything I throw at him now. Still have him in the little 30g reef and not the big tank though. Scared to screw up a good thing right now.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 11:50 AM   #5804
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Mine is really only eating pellets and romaine, every now and then will take a piece of mysis or brine.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 10:56 PM   #5805
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

Quote:
Medium juveniles on sale again!
Are these the LA regals? If so, have they been doing ok?

Great deal if they have reasonable chance of success

GoldeneyeRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 07:44 AM   #5806
OrionN
Moved on

What do you guys think regarding small Regal Juvi, listed size of 1.5-2 inches. Is this too small?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 08:19 AM   #5807
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
What do you guys think regarding small Regal Juvi, listed size of 1.5-2 inches. Is this too small?
That’s what I ordered a few weeks ago and it is doing incredibly well. I have already seen noticeable growth on mine.

Unread 03/10/2018, 09:03 AM   #5808
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks. This is the size I will look for when I am in the market for them. I am almost there

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/10/2018, 12:58 PM   #5809
pfan151
Registered Member

This is mine today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/10/2018, 03:56 PM   #5810
carrots
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Last year I got a 1.25 inch Regal from a LFS. It didn't even have adult striping yet. It was eating mysis shrimp and slivers of clam meat within hours. My other Regal was bought as a 4" and it took a week to start eating. If I were to buy another I wouldn't pass up the tiny ones.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 10:10 AM   #5811
alton
Registered Member

Well since there are no new post I am guessing RC members are filled up with Regal Angels?

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:19 AM   #5812
saf1
Registered Member

Nope - not I. Still on my list to buy. Just waiting for my upgrade to finish and the tank a little bit more established before I add any fish. Only fish that will be introduced are those that are currently in my 40 breeder and subject to move Coral beauty, mated pair of clowns, pair of pajama cardinals, and a lawnmower blenny. My guess is they won't know what to do with all of the space in the new 210 they are soon to move into

So I've just been reading on all the action with regards to you all's Regals so I can properly acclimate and care.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 02:15 PM   #5813
OrionN
Moved on

I need a few weeks then I am in the market for 2 or 3 Regal. Just a few weeks more. Put salt water in my tank yesterday. Right now my HT and QT system are holding fish for the new system.

Unread 03/15/2018, 12:58 PM   #5814
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Hey all. Placed another order on LA for a Juvi medium maldives regal. (Sat delivery) the Juvi small LA order I placed weeks ago never shipped out and I had to cancel.

I've tried regals before (not from LA) with very poor success acclimating. This time I plan to put the fish into the display, perhaps in a partitioned section if fish are intimidating him.

Any advice on the acclimation technique? Drip acclimate and then freshwater bath? Prazi dips? Curious what everyone recommends for the order of operations (e.g., drip tank water into ship water, then prazi and or freshwater baths in a certain order? bath timing?) .

I've read various methods. I want to do the best procedure for a fish going right into a display reef, not a seperate QT system. And do it with minimal stress while attempting to remove any flukes or pests that may tag along on the fish.

Thanks everyone. Will keep you posted.

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 02:36 PM   #5815
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
I want to do the best procedure for a fish going right into a display reef, not a seperate QT system. And do it with minimal stress while attempting to remove any flukes or pests that may tag along on the fish.
I don't think that you're going to like the advice!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 02:57 PM   #5816
alton
Registered Member

My first question is what other fish do you have in your display that you do not mind losing? And or are they all docile so not to mess with the Regal's eating? As far as dips and baths here is mine whether it is right or wrong but for me it works.
Acclimation (30 min), FW Bath (10 to 20 min), Prazi for 1 hour, and then into QT unless it is a small juvenile and there is nothing in the display tank except my BSJF. And here comes another right or wrong, I believe small juvenile ship 10 x better than an adult plus it does better in holding so it is less likely to contract a disease. As an example your fish will come in almost a gallon of water, where as an adult ten times the size will not come in 10 x the volume of water. Good luck on your getting your regal. The Maldives are not bullet proof, but pretty close. Here is my BF in a 100 gallon QT tub

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bf 2-26-18.jpg (76.0 KB, 43 views)
Unread 03/16/2018, 05:09 AM   #5817
OrionN
Moved on

BSJF? Please spell it t out. I even Googled it. Some mutual fund is the result

Unread 03/16/2018, 06:58 AM   #5818
eastlake
Registered Member

Blue spotted jaw fish?

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:11 PM   #5819
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Good point, acclimated is the wrong word. However, would like one that is eating something and functioning in captivity. I've found it's very tough to recover unhealthy fish that don't eat right after hitting the tanks in the US.

I've had a lot of challenges with simply obtaining a healthy regal at a small size. I've become more interested lately from following this chain and seeing folks obtaining healthy yellow/orange belly juvis from common sources like LA, DD, LFS, etc.

I live in Atlanta and I never see healthy juvi regals at LFS. I come across 4"+ ones though. I'm sure most are snagged by hobbyists who don't know what they're getting into in terms of acclimating these fish and placing them in a tank where they wont get dominated. Very shy fish at first.

Glad to see another reefer from the same city! Which LFS do you usually go to?

Last edited by roberthu526; 03/25/2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 08:41 PM   #5820
roberthu526
Registered Member

Here is my latest addition.

https://youtu.be/bdETDqhkt7Y

Unread 03/26/2018, 05:23 AM   #5821
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
Here is my latest addition.

https://youtu.be/bdETDqhkt7Y
Wow 4 regals, that is living on the edge.
And Yes BSJF is Blue Spot Jawfish.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/i...spot-club.147/

Unread 03/26/2018, 06:22 AM   #5822
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow 4 regals, that is living on the edge.
And Yes BSJF is Blue Spot Jawfish.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/i...spot-club.147/

Believe me I know it really well. I only ordered two but somehow Liveaquaria messed up and sent me four Regal in two boxes... Most people would probably feel lucky but I was like “oh damn...” my tank is going to be way overloaded!
Originally I was going to setup a 300G somewhere between thanksgiving and Christmas but now I am pulling it forward to June and July if all the fish do well.

Unread 03/26/2018, 01:38 PM   #5823
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
Glad to see another reefer from the same city! Which LFS do you usually go to?

Nice! I bounce around to LFSs - including The Fish Store, Pure Reef, Atlanta Aquarium, Reef Shac. What are your go-tos?

Unread 03/26/2018, 01:46 PM   #5824
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice! I bounce around to LFSs - including The Fish Store, Pure Reef, Atlanta Aquarium, Reef Shac. What are your go-tos?

I don’t really have a go to place. I go to the ones you mentioned the most except Reef Shac. I just got a copper band butterfly from Atlanta Aquarium yesterday. Finally found one eating well.
I am in Suwannee. Where are you at? Based on the stores you go to I am guessing you are not too far from me.

Unread 03/26/2018, 01:50 PM   #5825
rmcgookey
Registered Member

The Maldives Juvi (Medium) just arrived Saturday from Live Aquaria (Cali). Multiple mixups delayed the shipment but he arrived.

Very tiny. Maybe 2-2.5 inches. Link to a youtube video from today (day 3) nipping at a clam.

https://youtu.be/fxuwEkq4Jso

He's sectioned off in my display by egg crate. Only a firefish and goby can get through. Went through a long temp controlled drip acclimation followed by 7 minute freshwater dip upon delivery Saturday. He's very shy as expected, he does venture out into the open a little at a time.

He's nipped at rock, algae, and a thawed frozen clam. He has not gone for flake food, frozen mysis, rods, multiple types of pellets, masstick. Garlic enhanced doesnt seem to help. Have not tried live clam or any other live foods. I've had luck getting them onto flakes early but this guy is not interested!

Anyone who recently acquired one of these small Maldives recently have luck feeding? Would love some advice on food and technique. It's only day 3 but reading about some eating on day 1.

Thanks!