Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2014, 05:44 PM   #51
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

but, is your dive buddy 187 years old? *sigh*

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2014, 09:43 AM   #52
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
but, is your dive buddy 187 years old? *sigh*
Did you know that there is a rule on dive boats? 150+ y/o dive for free!

Wonderful thing about diving is once you are in the water you are weightless. As long as you are reasonably fit and don't rust you'll have a great time.

Find a pig/dog sitter and then get wet!!

woodnaquanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2014, 09:57 AM   #53
Paul B
Premium Member

You are weightless except if you dive here in New York with 37 lbs of weight on your waist, then your legs and head are weightless while your belly tries to sink and the weights tend to bend you in half the wrong way.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2014, 10:31 PM   #54
Reefdiver77
Premium Member

What is scuba like??

I decided at the age of 10, shortly after JFK dedicated the dam on Greers Ferry Lake in AR (one of the last ceremonies prior to his asasination), that I wanted to be a diver "when I grew up". I witnessed divers diving shortly after the lake was open. They were bringing up all sorts of neat things. Fast forward 13 years. As a newlywed, I twisted my husbands arm to get certified. We were NASDS certified in 1977 by Doug McNeese (Junior as we called him),who went to high school with us. His family owned the Dive Shop in Memphis. He is currently owner of SSI. We have been diving together 37 years and married 39 years in June. Diving is my passion. I live for my vacations every summer. All of them have to involve diving. I feel very free and weightless and very much at peace. I am so peaceful at my safety stop at 15 ft. looking down to the bottom and up at the sky. When I do mental imagery, in an attempt to relax, this is what I imagine. I actually cry into my mask at the safety stop on my last dive our last vacation of the year, because I know it will be 9 months until we dive again. So yes, it has been worth every minute and every penny!! We have gone from horse collar bc, no auto inflators, no computers, no octopus rigs to what we have now. We are now 60 and are eagerly awaiting our trip to the Florida Panhandle June 28 for 2 weeks followed by another week at the end of August. Jump in, you will not regret it!!

Reefdiver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 02:10 AM   #55
thenewguy997
Moved On

Is it bad for your lungs?

thenewguy997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 03:20 AM   #56
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy997 View Post
not particularly, even if you dive blended or trimix gasses (helium, nitrogen, oxygen) in more advanced "technical" diving IF you stick to your training.

repetitive deep dives however are not good for your joints, and can lead to early onset of arthritis. How deep?? 250 to 500+ feet dives.

dont worry, 99% of dives are within the recreational limits and you shouldn't see any physiological lasting effects.

jump in and enjoy.

Unread 05/06/2014, 04:21 AM   #57
Saltliquid
Registered Member.

Quote:
If you change depths with out normal breathing, then yes!
Some people with a lung wall weakness and it is common, if you change depths quickly and sort of breath slowly and if you maybe change depths quickly by chasing something to catch or to get a pic of it, this forces some air through the membrane of your lungs and up next to the oesophagus it goes and can choke you.
I take this risk all the time as I skip breath a great deal, lucky I know what I am doing even if it is supposedly the wrong thing to do while breathing under water.
One of our local commercial collectors we knew well use to deco on pure oxygen, he was down for ever each day and had hip and shoulder joint replacements by 45, so much necrosis its not funny.

Saltliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 12:04 PM   #58
thenewguy997
Moved On

Crazy lol. I just asked bc i plan to scuba in my lifetime and was watching a reef show and they said something about how if you dont do something right your lung could burst or something liks that

thenewguy997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 12:11 PM   #59
TFP Marine Biologist
RC Sponsor

If you do not breath properly you can put yourself at risk of expansion injuries. The gas you breath at depth is compressed, and you are under pressure also. As you rise in the water column the pressure is reduced, and the gas in your lungs expands, so holding your breath, or rapidly rising without exhaling is dangerous.

www.thatpetplace.com
TFP Marine Biologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 06:46 PM   #60
billsreef
10 & Over Club

The key to safe diving is get trained, and stick to your diving. Been diving over 30 years, the most dangerous part of any dive is the drive to get where I'm diving

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2014, 12:00 AM   #61
Saltliquid
Registered Member.

Quote:
Crazy lol. I just asked bc i plan to scuba in my lifetime and was watching a reef show and they said something about how if you dont do something right your lung could burst or something liks that
That can lead to an embolism or what I typed previously, my brother died from an embolism from a scuba accident in 73. Scuba is extremely safe, but he was very inexperienced and to me even with the loss of his life and nearly my own a few times, for a good complete life, this sport should be experienced!

Saltliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2014, 12:04 PM   #62
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Been diving over 30 years, the most dangerous part of any dive is the drive to get where I'm diving
Hey Bill, this I agree with. I have been diving since 1971 and I never got hurt diving other than a few lobster bites. I was scared once or twice though, Once off Execution Lighthouse when a cormorant (bird) must of mistook me for a sardine and crashed into me wrapping his 4' wings around my head while flapping in the zero visability water.

There he is on the right looking all innocent. Harold, I think that was his name.

Unread 05/08/2014, 05:13 PM   #63
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
Did you know that there is a rule on dive boats? 150+ y/o dive for free!

Wonderful thing about diving is once you are in the water you are weightless. As long as you are reasonably fit and don't rust you'll have a great time.

Find a pig/dog sitter and then get wet!!
well, now you have given me something to seriously think about! how do you feel about giant dogs and muddy pigs? i would pay you tree fiddy a day if you come and take care of farm stuff for me.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2014, 05:46 PM   #64
Paul B
Premium Member

I never knew that rule about dive boats.
But I normally dive off my own boat so I can use that rule for myself and dive for free.
Of course I never charged myself and used to pay myself in lobsters, flounders and sea urchins.

Unread 05/08/2014, 06:47 PM   #65
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Got to watch out for those Cormorants Never had one hit me, but they do look cool when they dive down right in front of you.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2014, 07:33 PM   #66
Paul B
Premium Member

Bill you are used to that eastern Long Island diving, that is like the Caribbean, here in the western sound all I could see was the foot of that thing, the rest of it was flapping around my head. I thought it was the Loch Ness monster and for all I know, it was.

Unread 05/21/2014, 10:58 AM   #67
judin2117
Registered Member

diving is what pushed me into having a tank, i just had to have a small piece of it with me everyday since i dont live close to the ocean. Comfort def depends on the person. I have done alot of caverns and dont really like the overhead so i tend to suck a tank fast, but put me in a lake or a reef and i relax and get caught up in the amazing world that lies beneath the surface. If you like your tank you will love reef diving.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon FOWLR, some hitchiker corals
judin2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 07:51 AM   #68
GirlDiver1
Registered Member

Don't listen to Bill, he is an idiot, lol.

GirlDiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 02:09 PM   #69
sdweller
Registered Member

Scuba diving is truly like being in an aquarium ! I agree
with all of you and it is special !

Happy diving !
Sea Dwellers

sdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 10:34 PM   #70
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Glad someone resurrected this old thread. I posted on this thread while I was doing my certification in 2014. Over 150 logged dives and almost 4 years later, I'm totally addicted to diving...as is my wife. We haven't taken a single vacation in the last 3 years that wasn't a dive vacation!

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 02:08 AM   #71
jjencek
Registered Member

I used to be an assistant SCUBA instructor in San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco State and then private). I have seen many people taking the class for all different reasons. I would say only 20% of the certified students were still diving after 2 years. This was California cold water diving.

Having a Reef Tank will probably put you into the 20% that would stick with it. You must be comfortable in the water to enjoy it. The initial cost is not cheap, but reef tank is neither. After that you can keep the cost down if you are willing to do "local" beach diving.

That said - I loved it and I am happy I took my SCUBA certification in 1984.

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 03:55 PM   #72
GoNoles
Registered Member

Couldn't agree more!!!

I've been diving since my teens and I'm lucky enough to live in an area where i can pretty much dive when I want. Not to mention the fact that I'm only a couple of hours away from Key Largo for those weekend trips. got my girlfriend (currently fiancé) to get certified and we've been going strong! We are getting married in Islamorada in June and will be going on the honeymoon (1 week at Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire) the week after Thanksgiving.
I shoot underwater photos so try to "get wet" as much as possible. Diving is what got me into Marine Aquariums, so somewhat opposite of the OP. If anyone is interested, my only suggestion is to invest the proper time in the instruction and if at all possible, try to get Nitrox Cert as well.

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:10 AM   #73
sdweller
Registered Member

Next time you are in Key Largo look us up ! I hope you have a great wedding in
Islamorada and a even greater time on your Honeymoon in Bonaire , Buddy Dive
is a good choice !
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

sdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:50 PM   #74
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweller View Post
Next time you are in Key Largo look us up ! I hope you have a great wedding in
Islamorada and a even greater time on your Honeymoon in Bonaire , Buddy Dive
is a good choice !
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com
Where do you dock from? We typically stay at Marina del Mar, and as such, usually dive with Ocean Divers. We have been out with Pennekamp and Amoray and are always willing to try a new boat! Especially if it is a more diver-friendly!

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 01:35 AM   #75
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I became comfortable diving very quickly. I think by my 10th dive I was relaxed and comfortable, no longer burning through air or fighting buoyancy. It's one of my favorite things to do and try to take at least one trip a year.

Having good instructors and guides is key. I would take the class part of certification at home where you can devote a lot of time to studying and really learning the basics in a pool. Once you jump into the ocean the uncontrolled environment complicates things a bit.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote