Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2016, 01:30 PM   #326
Bananafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post
I have nothing but good things to say about Fish Life. Super helpful service and the frags I picked up from them have all done well in my tank. Also, if they don't have what you want stock, they will go out and get it for you and let you know when it's in. There pricing is competitive - they check online pricing before setting their price and attempt to match it.
They're really good about getting stuff for you and prices are pretty good. Been there a few times in the last week or so. Very helpful, indeed. Great to have a place that nice so close to home.

Current Tank Info: It's 3,000 gallons smaller than I wish it could be
Bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2016, 05:57 AM   #327
FishyKat
Registered Member

I went to visit Fish Life yesterday for the first time.

Small fish supply, i saw he had a few sick tangs.

A lot of corals at great prices, the guy was helpful in giving me info on them.
I purchased a goni, and yes, dip them!! I found a nudi on it when I got home.

I will be going back to get some more corals in a few weeks since I liked their selection and pricing.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Reef
FishyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 11:08 AM   #328
Therinx
Registered Member

Technically on Long Island, but in Queens -

I just visited New York Reef Aquatic in Flushing this weekend. I've been shopping around for a new LFS and so far out of 5 different places i visited, this place had the cleanest nicest tanks and the best selection of fish and corals. Really nice staff there too, i told them up front i wasn't buying anything today but had a few questions and they didn't blow me off. They were quite nice and helpful.

As soon as i have my tank straightened out i will be returning.

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 12:52 PM   #329
FishyKat
Registered Member

I went to Aqua Hut in Coram yesterday, it was a hike out for me so I went based on good reviews.

Terrible!! So many sick fish with cloudy and popeye and ich.
Corals looked to be in a very sad position.

I stepped on a dead fish (or I at least hoped it was dead)

I would never go back to this place. They had quite a number of people working there with their hands in the tanks, no reason for the horrible condition of the store.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Reef
FishyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 03:43 PM   #330
ClownnGoby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyKat View Post
I went to Aqua Hut in Coram yesterday, it was a hike out for me so I went based on good reviews.

Terrible!! So many sick fish with cloudy and popeye and ich.
Corals looked to be in a very sad position.

I stepped on a dead fish (or I at least hoped it was dead)

I would never go back to this place. They had quite a number of people working there with their hands in the tanks, no reason for the horrible condition of the store.

Yes this store is disgusting if I go there it's usually for dry goods since they have good prices .
I don't think they have a clue what they are doing , it's a shame because the store has potential and a lot of people go there but the whole store needs a make over with new tanks and system

ClownnGoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2016, 02:16 PM   #331
rpc07
Registered Member

Hey guys if your ever in the east north port area you need to check out high tide corals. It's a small shop and a bit difficult to find ( it's in a small indoor strip mall) but man are his tanks stocked with incredible stuff and his prices are awesome. Today was my first time there and I have found my new store for corals.

rpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2016, 05:55 AM   #332
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownnGoby View Post
Yes this store is disgusting if I go there it's usually for dry goods since they have good prices .
I don't think they have a clue what they are doing , it's a shame because the store has potential and a lot of people go there but the whole store needs a make over with new tanks and system

I think that doing the kind of business that store could do would just annoy Don (owner), I get the impression he's not really a people person.
I've only been in there 3 or 4 times.

I recently stopped at Tropical Island, it was impressive. Nice selection, clean tanks, clean store and friendly employees. I found his prices to be reasonable, not great, not crazy high, reasonable.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 02:27 PM   #333
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I stumbled upon a new store that just opened up a couple of blocks down from my parents house called Advanced Marine aquatics in Albertson. I went there a couple of nights ago right when they were about to close and it looked like a nice store with nice selection of fish and corals (in addition to about 15 mid to large gem tangs if anyone is interested).
I met the owner Andrew who seemed like a really nice guy. I placed an order for a few fish with him and will let you guys know how it works out.
I guess i'll be visiting my parents more frequently now lol.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 06:52 PM   #334
curryb15
Registered Member

Hello all getting back into reef if with a sca 50 pnp cube build. I live in middle island and was wondering what good reputable fish stores are around? From read it sounds like a lot of them are way west of me. Anyone know of anything good in my area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: SCA 50 Gal Cube build in Progress
curryb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 02:57 AM   #335
jpitch
Registered Member

Hi curry. I also live in middle Island. Nothing around us worth mentioning. Like others have said, Aquahut in the Home Depot shopping center is decent for dry goods but that's about it. Country Critters is expensive but fun to look at.

Unread 03/29/2017, 09:34 PM   #336
curryb15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpitch View Post
Hi curry. I also live in middle Island. Nothing around us worth mentioning. Like others have said, Aquahut in the Home Depot shopping center is decent for dry goods but that's about it. Country Critters is expensive but fun to look at.

Hey! I was at cc the other week and was really disappointed with there coral selection. And of course the fish where very expensive. I got the impression almost like they where doing away with coral, one of there main coral display tanks was broken down and dry and everything else they had looked sickley. I was going to take a ride to the place in deer park. I've read about it a little bit on here butt my buddy who use to be into Reefing loves that place

Current Tank Info: SCA 50 Gal Cube build in Progress
curryb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 10:20 AM   #337
CoralOfDuty
Registered Member

Does anyone go to BTJs jungle? If im over in that area im either going to Carib blue or Pets Warehouse. Btjs is right in between and I never stop in. Is it any good nowadays?

CoralOfDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:53 PM   #338
jason18
Registered Member

The Place on Deer Park Ave is nice. I myself am just getting back into the hobby. I was just there last weekend and tanks looked good. I picked up 2 frags and 2 fish

jason18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 02:10 PM   #339
Shrinkette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavngr98 View Post
Looks like there's another new place in South Huntington called Reef Scape (741-B WEST JERICHO TPK) Entrance is actually on Cold Spring hills rd. Its funny I pass by it every day when I drop my kids off at school and just noticed the sign today. Looking at their FB page looks like they just opened a week or 2 ago. Anyone been there yet?
Not that new, actually. The owner, "Johnny Fish " is great to talk with. Not interested in just making a sale. He is a wonderful resource, makes custom tanks, sumps, refugiums, and absolutely knows his stuff. Most of the business is tank setup and maintenance. And yes, the fish are sale. : )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon nano with soft corals -- 57 gallon native species tank with northern pipefish and friends
Shrinkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 02:17 PM   #340
kiddbid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkette View Post
Not that new, actually. The owner, "Johnny Fish " is great to talk with. Not interested in just making a sale. He is a wonderful resource, makes custom tanks, sumps, refugiums, and absolutely knows his stuff. Most of the business is tank setup and maintenance. And yes, the fish are sale. : )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
+1 on this
Definitely see John if you are looking for a healthy fish.

kiddbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 09:48 AM   #341
NS Mike D
Registered Member

FishLife in Huntington closed a few months ago. Worth the 20 minute drive south to Tropical Aquarium in Deer Park. Picked up a nice torch and an emerald crab this week from them. Both doing well, adjusting nicely. They took my contact info and will let me know when they have some tuxedo urchins in stock. They said it shouldn't be long, they pick them up regularly.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 09:57 AM   #342
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

What ever happened to that kid Justin from Arizona? Is his store still up there in (I think) Huntington?
I know it wasn't his store, be he was/hopefully is connected to it.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
Unread 09/22/2018, 09:20 AM   #343
qy7400
Registered Member

Justin is still going, new store is High Tide Coral 231 Commack Rd, shops in the basement behind Edible Arrangements.

Current Tank Info: 380G now with water and fish
qy7400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 04:13 PM   #344
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

I will have to make time when leaving work one day to get in there.

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 10/23/2018, 12:11 PM   #345
rpc07
Registered Member

High tide in Commack is no longer open. They closed up shop pretty recently.

rpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 08:21 AM   #346
brett7768
Registered Member

Since this page hasn’t been updated in quite a while and I’m about to dive back into the hobby I was hoping to get everyone’s thoughts on the current state of LFS in the area. I live in Oceanside on the south shore of Nassau county. A few years back when I had a tank I would frequent Pets warehouse, tropical isle, and aquarium village. Anyone have any input on these stores or any others in the area I should check out?

brett7768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 09:13 AM   #347
heuerfan
Registered Member

Advance Marine Aquatics is a good place and also Tropical Island Aquarium.

heuerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2020, 02:53 PM   #348
brett7768
Registered Member

Awesome! I haven’t been to Advanced but I’ll definitely check it out.

Unread 02/26/2020, 09:46 AM   #349
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

I drove past Pets Warehouse in Copaigue recently, they're gone.

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 02/26/2020, 02:02 PM   #350
brett7768
Registered Member

I heard they moved east into Lindenhurst