Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:37 PM   #1
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Power head setup for 300g DD peninsula

Roger,
I posted a thread in general discussion about a new PH setup for my 300. You can see it here

Do you have suggestions for a good setup?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 09:23 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Having a peninsula 215 myself, I will say up front this is difficult to pull off and you will likely find yourself in a compromise where either you compromise on inhabitants on the far end because flow will be insufficient or you will have to compromise on having powerheads and the aesthetics of cables at the far end. I ended up placing 2 6055's in nano stream rocks on the far end and living with the cables as it just wasn't working well any other way.

Your lowest maintenance option will be the 6150's, since they have a lot of cooling/ self cleaning and they work on magnetic levitation, the build up of calcium is next to nothing and the intake gets cleaned once a day by a reverse rotation that lasts about 30 seconds. These are also virtually dead silent, sub 42db, even in the quietest rooms the ambient noise will generally be more than the pump noise. For compact size and all things considered the 6105s are a good bet, 52db, still pretty quiet, they need a tear down and cleaning every 3-6 months depending on KH and Ca levels. In both cases I suspect you will need some supplementation on the far end to not limit yourself. They will reach the length of the tank and return but the flow is down to softie/mushroom levels after 5ft. Also, both come with magnets for 1/2" so for thicker glass factor on stronger upgraded magnets.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Having a peninsula 215 myself, I will say up front this is difficult to pull off and you will likely find yourself in a compromise where either you compromise on inhabitants on the far end because flow will be insufficient or you will have to compromise on having powerheads and the aesthetics of cables at the far end. I ended up placing 2 6055's in nano stream rocks on the far end and living with the cables as it just wasn't working well any other way.

Your lowest maintenance option will be the 6150's, since they have a lot of cooling/ self cleaning and they work on magnetic levitation, the build up of calcium is next to nothing and the intake gets cleaned once a day by a reverse rotation that lasts about 30 seconds. These are also virtually dead silent, sub 42db, even in the quietest rooms the ambient noise will generally be more than the pump noise. For compact size and all things considered the 6105s are a good bet, 52db, still pretty quiet, they need a tear down and cleaning every 3-6 months depending on KH and Ca levels. In both cases I suspect you will need some supplementation on the far end to not limit yourself. They will reach the length of the tank and return but the flow is down to softie/mushroom levels after 5ft. Also, both come with magnets for 1/2" so for thicker glass factor on stronger upgraded magnets.

Thanks Roger. I don't really mind cables that much. Below is a picture of my tank when I first set it up. Nothing in it but rock work. The second picture is what I was thinking of doing based on your suggestions. The picture is a side view and I would duplicate it on both sides. 6150 on each side of the overflow end. a 6055 in the top middle angled down to elimate low flow spots between the burms and then a 6055 in each corner on the far under pointing upwards. Do you think this would work well? Can they all link together for controlling?

Unread 02/12/2018, 12:29 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

How wide is that pane under the overflow? If that is about 6" wide I would use 6150's and mount them to that pane aiming straight across and it should work very well, if it is only about 4" or less I would use 6105s.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 02/12/2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
How wide is that pane under the overflow? If that is about 6" wide I would use 6150's and mount them to that pane aiming straight across and it should work very well, if it is only about 4" or less I would use 6105s.
The horizontal pane is about 5". The vertical pane is about 7". Its coast to coast on the end.

Can the 6150 magnets go in the overflow and be wet?

Unread 02/12/2018, 01:56 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, but you need about 5.5" to have them jet straight across, it might work with a slight angle.

Unread 02/12/2018, 01:58 PM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I think you have a good plan otherwise, do keep in mind the 6055s come standard with a 3 meter cable, so that is a limitation, the bigger pumps have 5m and it is possible to custom order a 5m cable 6055, that is what I ended up doing for mine as it gave me more room to run the cable in a way I could hide most of it. I seem to recall it is a $10 upcharge and takes about 3 weeks.

Unread 02/12/2018, 02:10 PM   #8
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
I think you have a good plan otherwise, do keep in mind the 6055s come standard with a 3 meter cable, so that is a limitation, the bigger pumps have 5m and it is possible to custom order a 5m cable 6055, that is what I ended up doing for mine as it gave me more room to run the cable in a way I could hide most of it. I seem to recall it is a $10 upcharge and takes about 3 weeks.
Thanks for the tip. I would definitely need the 5m cable.

Can I sync all of these together?

Unread 02/12/2018, 02:12 PM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, you would want a master controller of some sort to set up a more advanced pattern, an Apex or a 7000 for example.

Unread 02/12/2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Yes, you would want a master controller of some sort to set up a more advanced pattern, an Apex or a 7000 for example.
I have an Apex. So to make sure I have this correct and I get everything I need in one order:
Two 6150s
Four 6055s w/ 5m cable. - How/where do I order with the long cable?

And I would not need to order any extra cables etc? Everything could just plug in to my Apex system and I control from there?

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get all this setup!

Last edited by Zalick; 02/12/2018 at 02:24 PM.
Unread 02/12/2018, 02:23 PM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I think 2 6150 and 2 6055 will likely be enough. You would only need whatever accessories your apex needs to run the pumps and they will work without the connection so that is not urgent, it just lets you coordinate the flow pattern. The 6055s would need to be special ordered, 6150s have been in limited supply pretty much since they came out so if you find them I would get them where you can.

Unread 02/12/2018, 02:45 PM   #12
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
I think 2 6150 and 2 6055 will likely be enough. You would only need whatever accessories your apex needs to run the pumps and they will work without the connection so that is not urgent, it just lets you coordinate the flow pattern. The 6055s would need to be special ordered, 6150s have been in limited supply pretty much since they came out so if you find them I would get them where you can.
Thanks Roger! Everything is ordered! Can't wait to set this up.

Unread 02/12/2018, 02:57 PM   #13
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Where did you order the 5m cable 6055's? They are not a stock item anywhere and most dealers don't know this is an option.

Unread 02/12/2018, 03:06 PM   #14
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Where did you order the 5m cable 6055's? They are not a stock item anywhere and most dealers don't know this is an option.
MarineDepot is calling to verify they can get it. They said they would call me back shortly to confirm.

Unread 02/12/2018, 03:09 PM   #15
rvitko
RC Sponsor

OK, perfect.

Unread 02/20/2018, 09:06 PM   #16
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

I got the two 6150s. Still waiting on the special order for the others. I only put a single 6150 in my tank tonight. I have it just a few inches away from the corner on one end of the tank. Its oriented up and down with the deflector. The flow is fantastic. And its ULTRA quiet. I'm getting better water movement and a better gyre type flow than with my two Gyre 280s.

Can't wait to setup the second one and play around with it this weekend!

Unread 02/21/2018, 10:29 AM   #17
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you! We expect more 6150's soon. For the first year we had a lot of production hurdles with the drive unit, it has two opposed magnets inside which I am sure anyone who has played with magnets, especially very strong ones, can understand that assembling something that way is not easy. We solved this problem but already very behind with a lot of backorders we are still catching up. I do expect to get more in the next week or so and existing backorders should be filled soon.

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:57 PM   #18
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Thank you! We expect more 6150's soon. For the first year we had a lot of production hurdles with the drive unit, it has two opposed magnets inside which I am sure anyone who has played with magnets, especially very strong ones, can understand that assembling something that way is not easy. We solved this problem but already very behind with a lot of backorders we are still catching up. I do expect to get more in the next week or so and existing backorders should be filled soon.

Roger - Are the "dry side" magnets fully sealed and submersible?

Unread 02/23/2018, 09:09 AM   #19
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes.

Unread 01/10/2019, 11:25 AM   #20
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Yes.
Roger,
Thanks again for all your help with my questions and everyone else's on this forum and the others!

The stream 3 is truly the greatest pump I've ever used, and I've tried them all!

I have a new acrylic tank - 72"x36"x27" peninsula. It has two rock burms that allow decent flow through the center of each burm. I have two Stream 3s placed on the overflow end of the tank. I have one Stream 3 horizontal with the grid attached to the long wall and the other vertical with the deflector attached to overflow wall. I've noticed that when I run both at the same time, the stream w/ deflector reduces the effectiveness of the other.

When I run the single horizontal stream at 100% in wave mode I get the best flow for 75% of the tank. The far end gets a gentle flow that seems good enough for LPS. The corner with the with the vertical stream (turned off) gets very little flow.

Do you have any suggestions for the ideal configuration and settings for running 2 stream 3s in a 6' peninsula tank? I want to avoid pumps in any other location. I'd also like to avoid both being horizontal, but would do that if necessary.

Here is a picture of the current configuration. I do not have the pumps linked together. Would that help too?

Thanks!

Unread 01/10/2019, 12:49 PM   #21
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

My personal preference is both pumps horizontal, I have a very similar size tank and tried the vertical and it just did not have the reach I wanted. With the flow rectifiers the flow is perfect and if you don't have those I will send you a couple they are a newer part that comes with the pumps now but only the ones made in the last few months. I alternate mine so that one idles at 40% and the other pulses at 40-100%, you need a more sophisticated controller than the included ones to do that. If you do wave mode, just be sure to pulse from 5% or so to 100% and not off to 100% as the pump takes a while to start so this won't work very well.

Unread 01/10/2019, 01:29 PM   #22
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Thank you!

My personal preference is both pumps horizontal, I have a very similar size tank and tried the vertical and it just did not have the reach I wanted. With the flow rectifiers the flow is perfect and if you don't have those I will send you a couple they are a newer part that comes with the pumps now but only the ones made in the last few months. I alternate mine so that one idles at 40% and the other pulses at 40-100%, you need a more sophisticated controller than the included ones to do that. If you do wave mode, just be sure to pulse from 5% or so to 100% and not off to 100% as the pump takes a while to start so this won't work very well.
Thanks Roger. I do not have the rectifiers. I do run an Apex system. Can that achieve the control you are talking about? Or should I get a Tunze controller?

Unread 01/10/2019, 02:02 PM   #23
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Your Apex would work, can you PM me your name again so I can mail out the rectifiers?