Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2007, 05:00 PM   #51
happyface888
Registered Member

I'd assume so, I think it might help some people who dont know the scientific name to use the common name to help them. Ok going to avoid all three of thoes dwarfs.

happyface888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2007, 06:12 PM   #52
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

You guys are making me want to keep the funny wording rather than edit it The common name I see for it is usually Heraldi Angelfish, but I guess Yellow Angel is another.

Unread 07/08/2007, 06:19 PM   #53
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

edit: double post

Unread 07/08/2007, 06:54 PM   #54
edwing206
Registered Member

Just read the list. Thanks. It basically eliminated everything you see in a LFS. lol.

Current Tank Info: 50G cube
edwing206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2007, 10:06 PM   #55
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwing206
Just read the list. Thanks. It basically eliminated everything you see in a LFS. lol.
It's not that bad...

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2007, 10:09 PM   #56
happyface888
Registered Member

Hmm a thought just came to me is there a compatiblity list somewhere? XD

Unread 07/08/2007, 10:27 PM   #57
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
Hmm a thought just came to me is there a compatiblity list somewhere? XD
There are a lot of charts floating around, if you do a google search you will find several. It seems many of them used the chart in "The Tetra Encyclopedia of the Marine Aquarium" by Mills as a guideline.

Unread 07/08/2007, 10:49 PM   #58
happyface888
Registered Member

I looked into liveaquarias but it seems some fish they mention are compatabile are not. Thats what throws me off when buying a fish.

Unread 07/08/2007, 10:57 PM   #59
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
I looked into liveaquarias but it seems some fish they mention are compatabile are not. Thats what throws me off when buying a fish.
It's such a tough thing to make alist/chart about compatibility because there are so many factors involved. It's a little more cut and dry with a list like mine but not a whole lot. There will always be exceptions to the rule. I've seem peaceful gobies terrorize tankmates and I'm sure there is someone out there that had an Orange Spotted Filefish that ate flake food.

Unread 07/08/2007, 11:28 PM   #60
zemuron114
Moved On

there is a few people in Hawaii that I know that have kept them long term. Copps here on RC has had one for a while i think.

my point on longnose hawks is that they shouldnt be on the list at all. Very hardy which is againt the reason for the thread i believe.

butterflies are always a touchy subject. It would take a while to get into the depths of butterflies

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2007, 11:38 PM   #61
happyface888
Registered Member

Hmm I heard someone tell me that the long nose hawk are hard to get them to eat? Is that right?

Unread 07/08/2007, 11:56 PM   #62
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmm I heard someone tell me that the long nose hawk are hard to get them to eat? Is that right?
Nah, they're usually pigs. If one isn't eating it's sick, unhappy, or an oddity.

Last edited by Peter Eichler; 07/09/2007 at 12:03 AM.
Unread 07/09/2007, 12:02 AM   #63
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
there is a few people in Hawaii that I know that have kept them long term. Copps here on RC has had one for a while i think.

my point on longnose hawks is that they shouldnt be on the list at all. Very hardy which is againt the reason for the thread i believe.

butterflies are always a touchy subject. It would take a while to get into the depths of butterflies
If this were a list only for fish that aren't hardy then I'd agree with you, but it's not. It's on there because many of them jump out of aquariums, moreso than any other fish we commonly keep IME. They're also notorious for eating ornamental shrimp as are other Hawkfish. In the notes it says they are hardy so I don't think many people are going to be confused as to why it's on there.

Unread 07/09/2007, 04:12 AM   #64
pirate2876
Registered Member

how about latzinatus clowns?theyre not know to be hardy

pirate2876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 05:16 AM   #65
hankthetank
Moved On

Bump......with a purpose.

hankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 05:22 AM   #66
wayne in norway
Registered Member

I'm surprised to see C. heraldi on the list, and to some extent C. bicolor as I have kept both and found them not especially demanding. MAybe the ones that go to the US take more of a beating, and I think the US also prefers larger fish that are harder to get feeding.

Paracentropyge multifasciata is trickier. There re several peole in the UK who have kept them for a long time, and of course Frank Baensch was selling captive spawned/raised examples

wayne in norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 12:17 PM   #67
bureau13
Registered Member

You may want to add some common names where there are none (the one that jumped out at me, because I experienced it first hand: Pseodojuloides sp wrasses. I bought a "pencil wrasse" at a local LFS, and it seemed OK for a while, but rarely ate and eventually disappeared forever. Of course, a little after-the-fact research revealed it to be an excellent candidate for your list, but most LFS don't list the proper species names, and many of those don't even know them.

jds

bureau13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 12:29 PM   #68
zemuron114
Moved On

good point. they are more prone to jump. I enjoy your list

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 01:30 PM   #69
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
WetWebMedia has a pretty thorough and practical guide to butterfly fish (Good, medium, and poor choices for the aquarium). I would just recommend people look there than to try to break it all down on this list.

As for the anthias, of the commonly available species, I don't think bimacs are particularly difficult. I'd replace that listing with Pseudanthias tuka (purple queen).

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.

Last edited by SDguy; 07/09/2007 at 01:38 PM.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 05:37 PM   #70
TWallace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
Thanks for the props guys.

HB thanks for the interesting info. I'd appreciate more experienes from people with Potter's and Blue Reef Chromis.
I've tried a few Potter's over the years and would definitely agree they're not as easy to care for as most other dwarf angels. I currently have one in my 55. I've had it about a month (2 weeks in QT first). So far it's looking good and eating ok, but I still think it could die at any second, due to my previous experiences with them. It was a picky eater at first, but luckily I leave my QT running at all times and it has a healthy population of copepods, amphipods and mysis shrimp, which the Potter's devoured.

I previously tried one about 7 months ago. It got a few white spots on it during quarantine, and the next day it was dead, before I had a chance to get the hyposalinity going. I've had similar failures in the past, often they won't eat prepared foods.

TWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 10:06 PM   #71
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate2876
how about latzinatus clowns?theyre not know to be hardy
My comment about wild clownfish would apply here. Do you really think it's much worse than any other wild clownfish after being flown half way around the world? They're so infrequently available that I just haven't seen enough info one way or another. So for that one I'd have to strictly rely on others feedback. Do you have any links with good discussions about the problems with them?

Thanks,
Peter

Unread 07/09/2007, 10:25 PM   #72
happyface888
Registered Member

Interesting

Last edited by happyface888; 07/09/2007 at 10:35 PM.
Unread 07/09/2007, 10:36 PM   #73
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wayne in norway
I'm surprised to see C. heraldi on the list, and to some extent C. bicolor as I have kept both and found them not especially demanding. MAybe the ones that go to the US take more of a beating, and I think the US also prefers larger fish that are harder to get feeding.

Paracentropyge multifasciata is trickier. There re several peole in the UK who have kept them for a long time, and of course Frank Baensch was selling captive spawned/raised examples
That are two fish that are regulalrly collected using drugs. That is the bulk of their problems. If you can obtain a fish that were net collected your success rates will be much greater. The problem is at the LFS they usually have no clue where the fish was collected from. With the Bicolor Angel a higher price than usual can indicate that the chances of it being net collected are much greater. Improper collection practices are common with many dwarf angels, these are just the two that seem to be most commonly collected using drugs.

Here's what Frank has to say about the Multibarred Angel.

"In the aquarium this species has a reputation for being timid and difficult to acclimate. In fact, our broodstock animals could not be coaxed to properly accept aquarium foods for six weeks. Sadly, most collected multibarred angels survive only a few weeks in captivity. We were excited to find that our captive-bred multibarred juveniles eagerly accepted aquarium foods and that shy behavior often found in collected adults was absent."

I look forward to the day that tank raised specimens are more widely available at a decent price. Sadly, unless I heard wrong, the captive breeding of Angels by RCT is at least on hold for a while.

Unread 07/09/2007, 10:41 PM   #74
happyface888
Registered Member

What are the common drugs used to catch fish? Cyanide? Peter I was wondering do baby triggers fall in the list of hard to care for fish since alot of them are cyanide caught? They may look healthy but one day they suddenly die. I read they die because of liver failure.

Unread 07/10/2007, 12:56 AM   #75
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
What are the common drugs used to catch fish? Cyanide? Peter I was wondering do baby triggers fall in the list of hard to care for fish since alot of them are cyanide caught? They may look healthy but one day they suddenly die. I read they die because of liver failure.
Cyanide and bleach are the two most common substances used, though there might be others I'm not aware of.

Triggerfish are tricky, I don't think it's so common that they're as bad as the two Angels on the list. However, it's common enough with many fish that all hobbyists should educate themselves about possible problems and symptoms of fish caught using cyanide.