Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2009, 08:23 PM   #1
SoCalSURFrider
Registered Member

RBTA wont move out of my Xenia Colony

I have a huge Pulsing Xenia Colony on the bottom portion of my tank and my RBTA was moving around all over recently and now its posting right up in my Colony. It looks the xenia doesnt really care too much but How can i move it out? I dont want to do it with my hands so i dont cut it on accident. What would you recomend??

Current Tank Info: 200g Mixed Reef 84'-24'-24' Custom Stand/Canopy- 6' light fixture with 3 400w 14k Metal Halides and 2 160w 10k VHOs With 4 cooling fans- R2 moonlights- 4 clip on fans in canopy for cooling- 2 CPR overflows with aqua lifters- 60g custom sump/ fuge
SoCalSURFrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 08:34 PM   #2
jpkboca
Registered Member

Thats always the risk with anenomes. Don't move the anenome, if he's happy there then your going to have to accept your loss of xenia. There are ways to 'try to get' and anenmome to move, but you dont want an anenome to keep moving, and he might just land on another coral if so.

jpkboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 08:39 PM   #3
TLParker
Registered Member

If you can change your flow a little in the tank. When I do this in mine my BTA moves a little. Just do not point the flow directly at them.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

Current Tank Info: 38G Mixed Reef soon to be a 40G Breeder with a 20 breeder sump
TLParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2009, 08:46 PM   #4
SoCalSURFrider
Registered Member

Ya he went over some of my star polyps and the havent opened up in about a week now. I have a lot of coral in my tank so I need him to stay put lol.

Current Tank Info: 200g Mixed Reef 84'-24'-24' Custom Stand/Canopy- 6' light fixture with 3 400w 14k Metal Halides and 2 160w 10k VHOs With 4 cooling fans- R2 moonlights- 4 clip on fans in canopy for cooling- 2 CPR overflows with aqua lifters- 60g custom sump/ fuge
SoCalSURFrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2009, 08:28 AM   #5
spamreefnew
Registered Member

you can move it with your hands,it just involves some risk. other ways to move em to like ice cubes,powerhead,spotlight,,,do a search and good luck

spamreefnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2009, 12:26 PM   #6
seapug
Registered Member

I'd leave it be. If the Xenia is irritating it, it'll move. If the Xenia colony doesn't like the Anemone and it's otherwise healthy, it'll "walk" away from the nem. That stuff is nearly indestructible once its established.

seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2009, 02:20 AM   #7
swannyson7
Registered Member

Don't try to move him. If you try to pull it off the LR and tear the foot, it's a gonner. Giving it a bit more flow may persuade it to move, but I'd rather lose a bit of xenia, that a RBTA. You may want to frag some of the xenia while it's still kicking just in case it does kill it all off though. Good luck!

swannyson7 is offline   Reply With Quote