Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2014, 07:19 PM   #201
arthurdent510
Registered Member

Very cool read! Makes me want to ditch my arduino and switch over to a netduino :-) I have a netduino laying around, but it bricked somehow and I can't get it to boot... oh well. It looks like you ended up using a float for your ato instead of the etape? Was there a reason why the etape didn't work? Thanks for posting all of this, it's given some good ideas of how I want to improve my system :-)

arthurdent510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2014, 08:02 AM   #202
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryngill View Post
You could just write to a cloud service like carriots or xively from any device. I recently started logging data to carriots from arduino, then displayed it with ducksboard.
Haven't looked at Carriots. Have a fully working Xively option in the code, though it's not much good unless I pay them a lot of money and go produce these commercially (wouldn't ever do that). Looks like Carriots might be more useful (1 year of data vs 3 months etc).

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2014, 08:04 AM   #203
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurdent510 View Post
Very cool read! Makes me want to ditch my arduino and switch over to a netduino :-) I have a netduino laying around, but it bricked somehow and I can't get it to boot... oh well. It looks like you ended up using a float for your ato instead of the etape? Was there a reason why the etape didn't work? Thanks for posting all of this, it's given some good ideas of how I want to improve my system :-)
The eTape was somewhat grumpy on setup and needed to be carefully mounted on a perfectly flat surface.

All in all it was inconsistent- floats have proved plenty reliable, though I might play with a pressure based system at some point. Glad I have given you some ideas. Everything I've done here can easily be done on an Arduino, it just was easier for me to get into the netduino. Good luck!

Unread 05/19/2014, 08:09 AM   #204
ryngill
Registered Member

Cool. I haven't done a lot with carriots, but the free service has been useful thus far. I like the choices on micro platforms, neat to see one form the .net side. I'm also working on a beaglebone black controller project, but have not implemented any data logging on it yet, just some led controls for now, a lot less info out there for BBB... Slow going

ryngill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2014, 08:10 AM   #205
ryngill
Registered Member

I have an avast pressure switch on my display, bullet proof. May tinker with it on one of the controller platforms...

Unread 05/19/2014, 09:11 AM   #206
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool. I haven't done a lot with carriots, but the free service has been useful thus far. I like the choices on micro platforms, neat to see one form the .net side. I'm also working on a beaglebone black controller project, but have not implemented any data logging on it yet, just some led controls for now, a lot less info out there for BBB... Slow going
BBB seems to have less of a following because of the diverse number of options you get on programming- there are a lot of people just developing on them as an embeded linux platform.

Quote:
I have an avast pressure switch on my display, bullet proof. May tinker with it on one of the controller platforms...
Lots of info available to make them work on Ar/Netduino- seem to be very reliable. Not sure at what point they'd get salt buildup in the pressure tube (if at all).

Unread 05/19/2014, 09:16 AM   #207
ryngill
Registered Member

So far so good, no buildup. I've only had it in service since Jan-14. I'll check it after a year or so and see, as of right now it has required zero maintenance.

Unread 05/19/2014, 09:33 AM   #208
arthurdent510
Registered Member

Out of curiosity, how were you trying to mount it? Is it setup to just use double sided tape? Did you mount it to the side of the sump, or something else?

I'm a .net developer by day as well, so the netduino is easier for me to get around. Now if they'd just get it working on vs2013, I'd be a happy camper... I've also thought about hooking it up to a BBB through a serial connection and offloading all the network and web related stuff to that. Just got a back in stock notification for the BBB rev. c this morning from adafruit, so I may have to jump on that. It'd be a fun toy to have around even if I don't end up using it for the fish tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
The eTape was somewhat grumpy on setup and needed to be carefully mounted on a perfectly flat surface.

All in all it was inconsistent- floats have proved plenty reliable, though I might play with a pressure based system at some point. Glad I have given you some ideas. Everything I've done here can easily be done on an Arduino, it just was easier for me to get into the netduino. Good luck!

Unread 05/19/2014, 10:13 AM   #209
arthurdent510
Registered Member

And actually, a big wohoo! I went poking around again and saw that they released the 4.3 firmware, after flashing that my netduino is no longer a brick :-) So time to start playing with it again!

Unread 06/18/2014, 08:37 AM   #210
sharemaster
Registered Member

Liking the direction you are headed with this been a coder must help a lot. I have more a networking and electronics background so it's a steep curve!

I have a netduino already in one of my many boxes! Is there any chance of sharing the latest and greatest code for me to look over? I am looking at the last one you uploaded now with a coffee and a scratching head!
I started out with a Profilux and hated it. I shut my tank down 6 months ago and now I'm looking at controlling it before I fill it as I work away a lot!

I've been trying to build a similar controller in allsorts of languages; Python, node.js, javascript and arduino C for so long I might have to go back to what I know visual studio and C# as all I have currently are a lot of sensors and half finished attempts! Not starting from scratch would be awesome!
Do you have a Github or similar for this?
edit: meant to say your site is down so can't see the web interface you are building

Last edited by sharemaster; 06/18/2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: missed a bit
sharemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2014, 04:01 PM   #211
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharemaster View Post
Liking the direction you are headed with this been a coder must help a lot. I have more a networking and electronics background so it's a steep curve!

I have a netduino already in one of my many boxes! Is there any chance of sharing the latest and greatest code for me to look over? I am looking at the last one you uploaded now with a coffee and a scratching head!
I started out with a Profilux and hated it. I shut my tank down 6 months ago and now I'm looking at controlling it before I fill it as I work away a lot!

I've been trying to build a similar controller in allsorts of languages; Python, node.js, javascript and arduino C for so long I might have to go back to what I know visual studio and C# as all I have currently are a lot of sensors and half finished attempts! Not starting from scratch would be awesome!
Do you have a Github or similar for this?
edit: meant to say your site is down so can't see the web interface you are building
Sorry, got distracted by other things (Summer == Me at the Lake House) but I will get the latest code together and post it up mid to late July. No Github as of now, but probably will once I have a chance to clean it up a bit and finalize some other aspects.

It has been running my tank wonderfully. I credit the controller with my tank not being any worse off than it is

Unread 08/05/2014, 07:46 AM   #212
iced98lx
Registered Member

So with the larger tank getting closer to completion I began contemplating how I would transition the controller from the 29 gallon bio cube to the 180 gallon tank. During the transition I've identified a large number of items I never got implemented on the small tank (pH, shift register for all 8 outlets, control of WP/DC pumps) that would mean coding and testing (and possibly causing issues). Since the small tank is running very stable for the last 8 months and growing coral I plan to move to the 180 I don't want to disturb it. I also don't want to get in the same situation again, should I want to add on to the controller in the future.

So, that means I just need a second controller!

Just arrived today:
  • Netduino Plus 2
  • 8 channel relay
  • temp sensors
  • 16 channel 12bit PWM dimmer Shield
  • Screw Shield Wings

This will let me assemble my new second controller in the UPS carcass as I wanted to move the current one to, and let me prototype and test new code on the 180 as it's finishing cycle, battling the algae stages etc. Once it's running stable and has inhabitants, I'll empty the 29 gallon, and use it as a true 'development' setup: Test code on the 29 with few to no inhabitants, then if it's stable deploy it to the 180.

I haven't decided on a pH stamp and probe yet but that will come as well.

Unread 08/12/2014, 08:41 AM   #213
iced98lx
Registered Member

I also just picked up 4 DC dosing pumps to help create a automatic water change setup for the tank as well.

Unread 10/03/2014, 06:22 PM   #214
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

This is a wonderful thread. I am also starting a 180 gallon tank that I just got delivered. It is an upgrade from a 120 that totally crashed while on vacation, because of a wrong salinity switch being thrown (by me). I have been reefing for 20 plus years and never had a crash so I grieved for a while and now I am designing my head off.

After reading the entire Yes!!!!!!!!! SPS Success with Leds! Come in and Share your Story! thread, I have read all of yours as well.

You have gone on quite a design frenzy and I love it. I have learned a lot about what hardware to look at from reading this. I am now trying to decide what ideas to copy/steal with your permission.

I am not yet a C# programmer but do Arduino C. I’m not sure how hard it will be to change over. I used to do MS Visual Basic. You get a lot of functionality out of that little mini-controller.

Way to go!

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 10:59 AM   #215
iced98lx
Registered Member

Thanks! If you're an Arduino guy there are TONS of controllers bases on those, including some nice premade boards and stuff. I knew C# so stuck with it but the options are many! The LEDs are great so far still and I look forward to revision 2 of the system

Unread 11/29/2014, 09:34 AM   #216
iced98lx
Registered Member

I was searching for good ways to mount these lights, I have given in and ordered 12 inch makers heatsinks for each pendant. They should arrive this week. I was hesitant, but it should make hanging easier, and should look nicer. After a year and a half of running this chip with no channels burning out or other issues means I'm ready to invest a little more in the heatsinks to get the system looking good.

Tank is up and running, so time to kick it into gear to get the build going on round two.

Unread 12/03/2014, 01:57 PM   #217
iced98lx
Registered Member

My Makers heatsinks showed up today, hopefully I'll have time this weekend to get at least one or two assembled and up over the big tank, which is now running.

Unread 12/31/2014, 10:57 AM   #218
iced98lx
Registered Member

Time for Build V2:

I've started a codeplex for the code, but it doesn't have much up there as I haven't yet added all the code back to v2 and I don't want to commit the old code just yet.

Unread 12/03/2015, 12:55 AM   #219
shiftline
Registered Member

Did you ever get the reef angel RF module working with arduino to control the vortechs? I would love to kick off feed mode from arduino

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2015, 11:25 AM   #220
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Did you ever get the reef angel RF module working with arduino to control the vortechs? I would love to kick off feed mode from arduino
I did not, I went with different power heads.

Unread 12/03/2015, 03:51 PM   #221
shiftline
Registered Member

Rats! thanks for the update

shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2015, 05:55 PM   #222
iced98lx
Registered Member

I wouldn't have been much help anyway as my project is in NETduinon not Arduino.

That said ReefAngel is written on the Arduino platform and you should be able to pull the needed code as it was open source last time I saw.