Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Joshsmit56001
Registered Member

Top Brace for 150 Gallon, where to get one??

I have a crack on the top brace of my 150 gallon. It is 72x18x29. The crack is straight down from the top to the bottom of the brace on the side of the tank. I guess my two questions are di you think this is a problem and if so where can I get a brace? I e-mailed AGA and have not gotten a repsonse yet.

Thanks,
Josh

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef
Joshsmit56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Phyxius
Moving About

Check with a LFS that sells AGA/Aqueon tanks and see if they can get one for you from their wholesaler/distributor or from AGA/Aqueon direct. If I remember right AGA/Aqueon doesn't direct sell to the public anyways and they are a little slow to answer emails since the change over to Aqueon

The brace on the larger tanks is needed to keep the panes from separating and its better to play it safe.....

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
W. C. Fields

Current Tank Info: JUST SOLD AND TOOK DOWN ALL 11/10---210g AGA, 80g sump, Tunze Streams. Tunze ATO,RK Elite Controller, RKII,Dart, GEO Calcium& Nielsen Kalk Reactors,GEO media reactor, Kaleini Rock, 3-250 watt 14k EVC , VHO..... 34g Solana and 60g cube
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Joshsmit56001
Registered Member

If I lower the water level to about half full would it be safe to remove the brace and silicone the new one? I would think that the pressure would be substantially lower with most of the water moved.

Thanks,
Josh

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef
Joshsmit56001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Rhodophyta
Registered Member

You already HAVE a replacement brace, but it is not in a handy spot. The bottom frame does not need a cross brace, but because of manufacturing economies, it makes more sense to use the same mold for both top and bottom, eliminating the possibility of a worker transposing top and bottom frames when the top does indeed require one with the thinner glass used today. "Simply" remove both frames and trade positions. Make sure first that it has not already been done before if the tank is one you bought used.

Rhodophyta is offline   Reply With Quote