Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2019, 08:11 AM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

Onyx A. percula question

I have been looking for a pair of perfectly shaped Onyx Percula for a long time. I think I found them. I got a WC pair from Aquatic Collection a little over 2 months ago. One of the two turn much darker under my care. He is my male pictured below. The initial picture and the current picture. He is so much darker.
Then I stumbled upon this female somebody "donated" to the only LFS, other than Petco, here in Corpus. She is beautiful, except is yellow instead of orange. This is not a concern. With proper diet, I can turn her into a normal orange Percula. I think she is wild caught because her shape is as perfect as perfect can be.
The unusual thing about this female, is that she has pencil think line of black around her fins. I have never seen Onyx Percula with such thin black border. I have seen Australian Percula with almost no black and with pencil thin black outline, but never any Percula with more black coloration. I don't get to see many Percula here in Corpus. This thin outline really give this fish a different look than other Percula clownfish in my limited experience.

For reefers, clownfish enthusiasts who are familiar and have a lot of experience with Percula, is this an unusual finding, or is it just becasue of my lack of experience with clown fish?

Initial Picture of my male Onyx

Current picture of the male Onyx two months later.

My new female Onyx with pencil thin black outline of the fins

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Percula2019050401WCResized.jpg (47.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071202OnyxResized.jpg (52.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071102OnyxWCResized.jpg (42.9 KB, 113 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 02:28 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Looks quite normal to me (on the tiny phone screen). Also, I somewhat doubt that the more yellowish orange is the result of a nutritional deficiency as I have seen freshly imported percula like that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 03:13 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks. This one is not a fresh import but one that somebody brought back to the LFS. Certain food, with astazanthin, can really bring the orange out in a clown fish. That is what I mean.
This fish is really pale yellow. I think this is due to the fish not been feed a proper diet from her previous owner.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 07/13/2019, 04:45 PM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

It’s a little unusual but it doesn’t make the clown overly abnormal. Nice pick up.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Congratulations. You have a very nice pair.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 01:32 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
Congratulations. You have a very nice pair.
Thanks. I was happy when I saw this Female for sale.