Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2019, 06:38 PM   #1
top shelf
Registered Member

My new clownfish.

Picked these 2 up today at the lfs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 07:06 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Cute fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Nice colour and markings, very nice!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Aari007
Registered Member

Smile

Your clownfish look very nice and have a very amazing coloration.

Aari007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 10:02 PM   #5
top shelf
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I've been searching for awhile and looks like my patients finally payed off.

I know I'm taking a gamble having 2 similar sized fish and I know it's selfish but I couldn't pass up on them both and it was worth a shot. Owner said if need be I can return one. They squabble a bit but looks like the darker one is starting to submit a little already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Nice colour and markings, very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aari007 View Post
Your clownfish look very nice and have a very amazing coloration.
Thank you! They were sold to me as wild caught percula. They are beautiful fish and what I've been looking for so at $25 a piece idc if they are WC or CB. When I began my search I just wanted deformity free fish.

Unread 07/18/2019, 04:25 PM   #6
phender
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post

Thank you! They were sold to me as wild caught percula. They are beautiful fish and what I've been looking for so at $25 a piece idc if they are WC or CB. When I began my search I just wanted deformity free fish.
Well, you got deformity free fish, but you didn't get 2 percula. The one on the top is an ocellaris.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 07:03 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
... you didn't get 2 percula. The one on the top is an ocellaris.
My impression based on their dorsal fin height is that both might be ocellaris. But it is tough to make a definitive call based on that picture.
The body color is not a good indicator as I have seen percula with washed out brown instead of bright orange and ocellaris with orange as bright as percula.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 07:05 PM   #8
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, you got deformity free fish, but you didn't get 2 percula. The one on the top is an ocellaris.
I did want 2 percs but I knew that one wasn't when I bought it. They were sold to me as both being percula though. These 2 were the best looking I've seen in awhile so I didn't mind compromising. Even after waiting so long I'm still happy with my decision.

Unread 07/18/2019, 07:12 PM   #9
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
My impression based on their dorsal fin height is that both might be ocellaris. But it is tough to make a definitive call based on that picture.
The body color is not a good indicator as I have seen percula with washed out brown instead of bright orange and ocellaris with orange as bright as percula.
Being able to see them both in person I'm fairly convinced the darker is ocellaris but I'm basing that off eye color at this point. I haven't been able to count the spines and even then it's no guarantee.

That was the best photo I could get and even that took awhile.

Ultimately I just wanted 2 deformity free clowns and these 2 were it. Percula or not I'm still very happy with my choice.

Unread 07/18/2019, 08:54 PM   #10
tonysi
Registered Member

Deformity free clownfish are hard to find these days, I say that you did well. Gl with your clowns.

tonysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 09:33 PM   #11
phender
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
I did want 2 percs but I knew that one wasn't when I bought it. They were sold to me as both being percula though. These 2 were the best looking I've seen in awhile so I didn't mind compromising. Even after waiting so long I'm still happy with my decision.
I'm glad you were aware that they probably weren't both percs. They are both very nice clowns and they could still pair up and produce offspring for you. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 11:04 PM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Honestly, wild ocellaris are much harder to find these days than percula. I would grab them if I could find a nice pair.

After taking another look I'm pretty sure both are ocellaris since they both have black eyes.
Percula always have orange eyes (the "bodies" of the eyes.)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 07/18/2019 at 11:10 PM.
Unread 07/19/2019, 02:49 AM   #13
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysi View Post
Deformity free clownfish are hard to find these days, I say that you did well. Gl with your clowns.
I agree, I've been on the lookout for 9 months trying to find a decent pair.

Quote:
I'm glad you were aware that they probably weren't both percs. They are both very nice clowns and they could still pair up and produce offspring for you. Good luck!
I'm ok with them being occy's mainly I just wanted a really nice pair of clowns and when I seen these 2 I was instantly drawn to them. I knew right away they were the 2 for me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Honestly, wild ocellaris are much harder to find these days than percula. I would grab them if I could find a nice pair.

After taking another look I'm pretty sure both are ocellaris since they both have black eyes.
Percula always have orange eyes (the "bodies" of the eyes.)

I didn't know wild caught ocellaris we're even more uncommon then wild percs. It does make sense given most that look for wc want percs because of the brighter colors. My lfs gets a few different clowns in but most seem to be the "designer" ones. It isn't that often I see plain ones there.

They both have very dark eyes. The lighter orange's aren't as dark but the black pigment is still there. I would say I have to agree with everyone, percs they are not but still a beautiful pair.

Unread 07/19/2019, 10:14 AM   #14
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Ocellaris and percula are the most in demand anemonefish, but nearly all the demand for normal ocellaris can be filled with captive bred while most captive bred "True Percula" you can find are the "normal" looking percentage of Picasso percula offspring, so basically a byproduct of breeding designer clownfish.
The key difference between ocellaris and percula is that baby ocellaris will have their full colors at an age of about a month while it can be up to a year or even more for percula to develop their full coloration. That makes a huge difference for breeders. Breeding straight percula is by far not as profitable as breeding straight ocellaris.

Unread 07/19/2019, 07:29 PM   #15
top shelf
Registered Member

Guess I never looked at it that way but makes sense when you explain it like that. Come to think of it I do see a lot more ocellaris and ocellaris varients at the lfs and online then I do percula. Still more "designer" type then any.

While I wanted WC percs for more or less the same reason as everyone else it's pretty cool having wc ocellaris since they aren't as common. Great fish though and interesting to watch.

Unread 07/20/2019, 10:27 AM   #16
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It would be interesting to know where these came from.
I had a very nice pair of wild ocellaris in the past who were in body shape nearly identical to percula and also had a significant amount of black around their white bars. I never found out where they came from originally. The closest to them I found were the so called "fancy ocellaris" from the Philippines. If I ever find ocellaris like those I would definitely get them.

Unread 07/20/2019, 08:05 PM   #17
top shelf
Registered Member

I'm not sure where they came from actually. I was going to ask but it slipped my mind. All I got was they came from a distributor in New Jersey. I'm going to see what more I can find out Monday when I go back. That does sound like a really nice pair of clowns. The darker one I have actually reminds me of one of those caramel/mocha varients.

Unread 07/22/2019, 05:29 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

They are beautiful. I think they are both Ocellaris. Like you I have been wanting deformed free clownfish for ever. This is not easy to find in Corpus Christi. I tried to go order WC A. percula and god some good luck. Recently I got my wish and got a pair of WC Onyx Percula. The male is WC for sure, the female is perfect in shape so I think she is wild caught. She was brought back to the LFS by somebody. She is not in great shape yet, but I think I can get her there.

Female

Male

Both together

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Percula2019071402OnyxFemaleResized.jpg (51.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071102OnyxWCResized.jpg (42.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071202OnyxResized.jpg (52.6 KB, 50 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 10:09 AM   #19
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
They are beautiful. I think they are both Ocellaris. Like you I have been wanting deformed free clownfish for ever. This is not easy to find in Corpus Christi. I tried to go order WC A. percula and god some good luck. Recently I got my wish and got a pair of WC Onyx Percula. The male is WC for sure, the female is perfect in shape so I think she is wild caught. She was brought back to the LFS by somebody. She is not in great shape yet, but I think I can get her there.

Female

Male

Both together
Hopefully she turns out fine! Beautiful fish!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

JacobPF14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 11:09 AM   #20
top shelf
Registered Member

Thank you Minh! I think they are both ocellaris as well but that's ok with me. I live in rural Pennsylvania so it's no easy task here either. I do remember reading your post when you first got these 2. They are absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on the find. I read a lot of yours posts, very informative btw and I know you are always looking for nice wild caught percs. I agree though in time with a good diet she will get there.