Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2018, 12:12 PM   #51
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. The fishes generally seem healthy, so I'll just stick with TTM. 29.5 hours and counting! (I set a timer for 72 hours, since I know I'd screw up the timing if I did it manually).

The fishes seem healthy, but the listlessness of the leopard still makes me somewhat concerned. I'm hoping that with the clear lid and the lights on in the daytime, hopefully they're more attentive today. I also added some prime just because the ammonia alert looked slightly off of yellow, so just to be safe.

Then I'm excited to test the ammonia in the big tank. Hopefully it's coming down quickly. Also, I'm somewhat concerned about bringing bubble algae in through the angel's poop. I'd hate to QT my already healthy fishes just to keep their poop out of the big tank. I'd say it sounds crazy, but I don't think it's actually that crazy of an idea... Especially considering how much of a scourge bubble algae is.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 12:28 PM   #52
Rakie
In Memoriam

Oh! just a heads up -- Prime sometimes reacts very badly with some medications, one of them specifically being PraziPro.

Having had to learn about medicines I was kinda surprised at the stuff I didn't know -- like what I just typed!

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 12:32 PM   #53
soulpatch
Registered Member

given the speed of which we process what we eat I think if you had the angel in the qt tank for a day or 2 it would process any of the bubble algae it ate and could go in the tank.

And yes do not use Prime with any meds to be safe. It will either cause a toxic issue for many or will negate the meds.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 07:59 PM   #54
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'm not really liking TTM, though I know TTM and QT is important. The fishes seemed uncomfortable the whole time, and wouldn't eat at all. I called it quits after the second transfer when they still weren't eating.

Once transferred to the main tank (I moved my nano fishes first), everyone seemed pretty disoriented the first day. The second day, the leopards were out and about, and the tang had started picking at the rocks and having a good time following around the angel 24/7. The angel and tang are inseparable.

Some pics:

I know everyone is skeptical of the Nyos skimmer, but let me just say DANG. This is with like 3 days of use. I'm going to work to get it to skim wetter, but am still thoroughly impressed.

I'm feeding somewhat heavily, with cyclopeeze and mysis mixed, and just bought some pods to seed the tank with from Algaebarn (also got their free artemia for your first purchase). Fishes are all eating and looking very happy and healthy. I'm frustrated that I lost a beautiful (and expensive) wrasse, but I guess such is life. At least the leopards seem to be doing well.

The fish list thus far are:
2x percula clowns (From old nano, still doing very well together)
Flame Angel (nano)
Orange Stripe Bristletooth Tang (happy and follows flame angel around all day, also picking at and eating the brown crap on the rocks all day since it's a bristletooth tang)
Meleagris Leopard Wrasse (female)
Negrosensis Leopard Wrasse

I bought the two leopard wrasses because the LFS said they were the same species, just male and female. Shame on me. They're both eating and seem very happy though. They're already coming out during the day and eating frozen at meal time.

I still want to get some sort of refugium or algae reactor going, but at least I'm feeling good about the skimmer. I took the ATO container that came with my tank to another LFS this weekend that was near where we were going (the zoo!) and asked them about drilling the tank. He said maybe it's possible with a brand new hole saw blade, but he wasn't going to take the risk as the glass was too thin. So I'm not sure if I should just pick up a 10g and practice on it, or see if someone else would consider drilling it locally (I actually wonder if BAO would drill it, or if he works with glass or just acrylic?). There has to be someone locally comfortable drilling this. Otherwise I can look into getting one of the algae reactor ARID knockoffs >$250, but I do think it would be worthwhile, particularly in the beginning of the tank.

Also, once the ammonia on the tank dropped, I saw one small spike of 10-15ppm nitrate, and nothing since. I'm sure it's not that the skimmer is that good, so I'm thinking 2 marinepure block are making a big difference. Who knows, but after the fishes have been in the big tank, being fed moderately, for 3 days now with no ammonia or nitrate movement, I'm very happy.

Unread 04/12/2018, 11:59 AM   #55
homer1475
Registered Member

I have only ever had a couple fish eat through TTM, so I don't sweat it now. Not that I should be the one speaking about fish. >.<

Love the rockwork! Definitely jealous of the NYOS skimmer. I'll wait till you have a bioload and see how it does, but it is on my short list of new skimmers.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 12:01 PM   #56
soulpatch
Registered Member

My fish rarely eat though TTM but considering fish can go like 3 weeks without eating it is normally not a concern to go 12 days in TTM.

Unread 04/15/2018, 12:09 PM   #57
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I guess I'll have to be more insistent about full length TTM going forward. The fishes just looked really miserable, and factoring in that they've possibly been in trans-shipping, I hate to keep them uncomfortable longer or have them starve since they likely haven't been eating. I know I the context if things, it's better than then and all the other fishes dieng of a disease, so I'll just try to stick with the 12 day's going forward.

I'm sorry to see you've had so much trouble with the bristletooth tangs homer. Bizarrely bad luck.

The nyos is nice. I hate to contribute to hype, especially since until I got the skimmer going I was kicking myself for not buying a used reefoctopus skimmer for $150, but ultimately this skimmer is doing a great job with very little bioload.

The rocks had some nasty brown sludge algae growing for a few days last week, so I added 5 astrea snails and 5 nassarius snails, and they cleared all of the brown sludge within a day or two. The angel and orange stripe helped too, and are alwasy picking.

I added some pods from algaebarn, and hopefully that is keeping the leopards snacking, though they're both fat and happy and eatjjg mysis regularly now.

Wife and I did the measurements and calculations for an artfully acrylic cover for the tank. Absolutely necessary since I've already seen a fish jump into the eggcrate. It'll be helpful if I get some more wrasses as well in the future.

Going to do the first big scale water change tonight, even though nitrates and ammonia have been zero since the cycle ended. Very happy for 3-4 weeks in. The tank is still a bit cloudy with green algae which is annoying, but that's what new tank life is like. I'm adding a half of a teaspoon of kalk to the sump directly to keep calling/alk up and promote purple corraline algae. I know it's frowned upon but it barely registers any change in ph, and I never see any powder come through the return so less worry about harming any inhabitants. There's a nice walk reactor for sale locally, but it only makes sense for the first 6 months, so I'm not convinced I should buy it. All recommendations have also been against adding any kalk directly to the reefer ATO reservoir becasue it clogs too easily.

Happy with the progress so far, still have a lot to do and set up, but the early stages take time, and only bad things happen quickly (TM)

Unread 04/15/2018, 09:05 PM   #58
Rakie
In Memoriam

Some people observe their fish for a bit first, and let them just chill and get used to eating before treatment -- UNLESS, they absolutely have something visible on them.

For me, a FW dip (or formalin if you can get it in your state still), then put them in a QT and focus on getting them to eat. Once they're eating, then I move onto treating unless they have no signs of anything, and nothing came off in their dip..

During this observation period your chief goal is get them to eat, and observe behavior.. Any signs or symptoms tells you where to go and how to treat next. Lots of itching, stringy white poop, development of cotton or whatever -- You know what to do next.

But Step 1 for me is "Calories into fish", always get them eating first. And I repeat that phrase like a cultist to everybody I help with QT. Calories into fish, calories into fish.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 03:44 PM   #59
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Rakie, that definitely makes a lot of sense. Solid rule. Almost makes me want to keep the nano to use as a QT to get the fishes comfortable and eating before they get TTM and/or treatment. I still have to figure out what to do with the nano, though I should probably sell it. Need the cash for the rest of the build. I forgot how fast the money goes. I wonder how I did all of this when I didn't have a job while building my first tank.

I've got a line on a Geo calcium reactor setup, so hopefully I'll have that figured out by this weekend. I also need to figure out an ATO container, and also whether I'll do a refugium or algae reactor too. If I do the ATO container, it really makes sense to try to get the current Reefer ATO container drilled so that I can turn it into a fuge, but I've never drilled a tank before. I can probably pick up a cheap 10g tank to drill just to try with finnicky/thin glass, since apparently that's pretty similar to the reefer ATO container too.

Long Island Reefing Association frag swap is this weekend and I'm going. I hope I don't load up on too much....

Unread 04/18/2018, 04:48 AM   #60
homer1475
Registered Member

And I have enver bothered with QT first. makes no sense to me. Lets oput a possibly sick fish into a QT tank to observe and et eating, Ok understandable, but what happens if said fish is sick? You get them eating them TTM them only to dump them right back into the same QT they were just in. Makes no sense to me.

I have always done TTM, then QT for observation and to fatten them up. At least this way my QT isn't infected.

Why Are you worried about a calk reactor for now? Your ways away from needing one of those. BRS bulk chemicals will get you a nice 2 part system that will be good for a while, and be loads cheaper then even a used reactor.

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:01 AM   #61
hbrochs
Registered Member

Congrats on the new tank!

I'm looking forward to watching this one grow in!

I'd hang onto the biocube if you have a spot for it, could be a frag tank or a holding tank, backup tank. Whatever you get for it won't be a fraction of the effort you put into tuning it to your liking.

I'd be glad to donate a few frags if you want to make the trip up to Westchester.

Howard

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:24 AM   #62
soulpatch
Registered Member

[QUOTE=homer1475;25417850]And I have enver bothered with QT first. makes no sense to me. Lets oput a possibly sick fish into a QT tank to observe and et eating, Ok understandable, but what happens if said fish is sick? You get them eating them TTM them only to dump them right back into the same QT they were just in. Makes no sense to me.

I have always done TTM, then QT for observation and to fatten them up. At least this way my QT isn't infected. [quote]

I assume they would use one of their TTM holding tanks for the initial QT and not a cycled QT tank. Many (like myself) do not cycle any tanks for QT. We just swap out water constantly. Sure costs a bit more on salt BUT I fill QT tanks from DT and put fresh into DT so I do have benefits.

Quote:
Why Are you worried about a calk reactor for now? Your ways away from needing one of those. BRS bulk chemicals will get you a nice 2 part system that will be good for a while, and be loads cheaper then even a used reactor.
BRS bulk chems dont add various other items like trace elements that you get from a calcium reactor. You also need to monitor levels with dosing in your containers vs. a calrx that will go at least 8 months before you need to even look at it. My calrx media is still going stong as I have lower usage so I should get 18-24 months out of it though my CO2 is every 8 months to be swapped.

Unread 04/18/2018, 09:24 PM   #63
LQT
Registered Member

Hey Eric, just checking in so I could get updated on your build... nice chatting with you last night. Lookin’ sweet Dude!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 01:52 AM   #64
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post

BRS bulk chems dont add various other items like trace elements that you get from a calcium reactor. You also need to monitor levels with dosing in your containers vs. a calrx that will go at least 8 months before you need to even look at it. My calrx media is still going stong as I have lower usage so I should get 18-24 months out of it though my CO2 is every 8 months to be swapped.
I totally agree with you on the CALRx, but at this stage of the game with very little coral, 2 part would be cheaper to start with. Specially since he just ponied up for the tank and all the goodie

As far as trace elements, WC's will replace any trace element thats depleted.

You have to remember were talking a fairly new tank with very low coral/bioload.

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:45 AM   #65
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrochs View Post
I'm looking forward to watching this one grow in!

I'd hang onto the biocube if you have a spot for it, could be a frag tank or a holding tank, backup tank. Whatever you get for it won't be a fraction of the effort you put into tuning it to your liking.

I'd be glad to donate a few frags if you want to make the trip up to Westchester.

Howard
Thanks for popping in Howard! Honestly, I'm going to try to sell the cube. I don't want a second tank hanging around permanently. I'll keep a filter pad square in my sump, and just use some of the spare rubbermaid tubs I have around when doing QT/TTM, though I won't be needing that for a while anyway (I hope!)

I hope your tank is doing well. I/we do have to get up to Westchester and visit one of these days. I bet your tank has grown in beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Hey Eric, just checking in so I could get updated on your build... nice chatting with you last night. Lookin’ sweet Dude!
Hey Leon, thanks for fielding my barrage of CaRx questions. I ended up picking up the GEO 612, a 20lb reactor, and a Carbondoser that doesn't work. I'll take some pics and reach out to the mfg and see if they'll do a rebuild for their $50, but without knowing too much about regulators, it looks like the solenoid is disconnected entirely, so I'm not sure if that's a good break or a bad break. If they can't repair it for $50, I'll just do a custom build.

My wife wants our sodastream back up and running, so I'm debating whether to just disconnect the CaRx regulator from the tank to do SodaStream refills when those tanks run out (every 3 months or so), or do a direct line hookup before the reg, since SodaStream either has a built-in reg, or doesn't need a reg for its setup. But if I do go direct hook-up route, it gets automatic wife approval to buy/build a new regulator.

Also, I found the fishes I've been looking for, QTed and treated from a reputable vendor, so I'm done with fishes until my Sailfin tang down the road. Now I have to figure out how to feed them enough to keep them alive (currently feeding 2x per evening after work - 6:30-7PM and 9PM or so).

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:47 AM   #66
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Also, I can't go to a frag swap and not pick up frags... I know I said I wasn't going to litter the tank... But I wanted to fill in the LPS area, as well as found some really nice stuff from Username Invalid (Jay) for a reasonable price, so I have a few SPS to get started with too. Now I have to find some orange/pink/yellow to offset this blue/green

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:53 AM   #67
LQT
Registered Member

If you go the custom CO2 regulator route, lemme know. Like I said, I’ll be more than happy walk you through the process. I’ve bookmarked a lot of the eBay links for primo parts from my Matheson CO2 regulator build. I still owe ya one for helping me with welding a few summers ago!

*edit - D’oh! Soldering... not welding.

Last edited by LQT; 04/23/2018 at 08:32 AM.
Unread 04/23/2018, 08:20 AM   #68
homer1475
Registered Member

Elegance or torch? Hard to tell from the pic. I'm going with elegance.

Unread 04/23/2018, 08:24 AM   #69
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
If you go the custom CO2 regulator route, lemme know. Like I said, I’ll be more than happy walk you through the process. I’ve bookmarked a lot of the eBay links for primo parts from my Matheson CO2 regulator build. I still owe ya one for helping me with welding a few summers ago!
Thanks Leon, I appreciate it. With your CaRx/regulator help we're even, so don't even worry about it, but we'll definitely keep in touch. Also, make sure to specify that I helped with soldering, not welding. Otherwise someone is going to come to my front door with a pile of steel square tube and ask me to build them a stand, and I don't think my soldering gun is up for the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Elegance or torch? Hard to tell from the pic. I'm going with elegance.
Aussie elegance. While I'm still quite weary, it looked very healthy. I'm going to try to keep it well fed and low to the sand bed in the LPS/lagoon area. It seems very sensitive to too much flow, so I have to find it the least flow place I can. I'm still trying to figure out the best place/way to create flow in the tank too. I have a nice gyre going currently with the 2 MP40s maxing out at 40%, which I think is fine for an empty tank, but I know I'll have to make changes before too long.

Unread 04/23/2018, 10:12 AM   #70
homer1475
Registered Member

Bah if it's an aussie it should be fine. From my readings it's only the indo varieties that suffer from ecs. It can happen to an aussie if it's ever been in a tank that had one with ecs. I think you'll be fine though.

Definitely low flow and on the sandbed if it's base is conical shaped.

Unread 04/26/2018, 08:30 PM   #71
ReefWreak
Registered Member

It's amazing that it's been a little over a month since this tank first started. It was really fascinating to see the tank go through the ever-present algae stage (green water!), and then brown algae on the rocks, and now, it's already starting to get the early green/purple/pink hue of coralline too. Very exciting stuff.

As far as livestock goes, everything is so far so good for the most part. The only exception is that one of the anthias got pop-eye pretty bad in one eye. It has only gotten worse over the week. I'm hoping it goes down/goes away, like it did for my female clown, but we'll see. The anthia spends most of the day under a rock hiding, but when food comes out she still eats voraciously, and I've started adding Kent garlic xtreme to the food as well, so hopefully that helps ( :: shrug :: ).

With the regulator for the calcium reactor, I've decided to fix the carbondoser, as well as start building up a custom rig, and whichever one I prefer I'll stick with. I finally figured out what was wrong with the carbondoser. The regulator seems to work just fine and hold pressure and dial-in to lower PSI no problem. The problem lies in the solenoid valve. It looks like it is a Clippard EV series valve. The original valve either was custom for Carbondoser, or was old stock and they've changed their part numbers since this was made. Either way, I'm fairly certain it is the EV-2-12 2 way valve. The reason it doesn't work is because the solenoid must have gotten water in it at some point, or at least humidity, and was pretty heavily rusted on the inside.

It looked beautiful and brand new on the outside, but the valve itself was all rusted. The actuator actually cleaned up nicely, and the interior cleaned up nicely, but the valve that opens and closes was stuck, presumably rusted, shut. I didn't want to see if I could use liquid wrench or anything to get it moving again, so I just ordered a new valve, and will drop it in and it should work just fine since the rest of the setup seems to work just fine.

So I'll play with the two regs and see what I like. LQT and I have been talking a lot, and I've seen mention a few times of the idea of hybrid Carbondoser with a high-end regulator, but I think I'd rather sell one or the other once I see what I prefer.

Next is to clean up/clean out the GEO 612 reactor itself. Some of the plumbing pieces are missing hose fittings, so I may have to put in some John Guest valves, or find other replacement parts for it. Annoying, but not the end of the world. It looks like if I wanted a new main assembly from GEO, I'd have to also replace the lid, so that could get expensive. I'll just work on replacing the incomplete hose connections for now. I'm very empowered in that respect after replacing the leaky 1/4" output hose from my RO system right after moving.

I still have to clean up the nano and get it posted up for sale. I think I'll sell the tank, stand, upgraded LEDs, Reefkeeper lite, and 2 part dosing system as one package and see what I can get for those. They served me well, and it's legitimately a turn-key SPS system, so once I get it cleaned up, it'll feel more worth the value, and hopefully it will appeal to someone around here since everyone is cramped for space but want to grow beautiful SPS.

Unread 05/01/2018, 08:29 PM   #72
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Nice colors flashing around while the tank develops and matures.

Corals look pretty happy too. I'm feeding 2-3 times per day, 1 cube each of PE mysis and PE calanus that I had since the old tank. I'm cleaning the filter socks once a week, and the skimmer isn't pulling as much as I'd like, so I'm having my friend come by this week to check it out since he's had his Nyos for a number of years now and is familiar with tweaking it.

I put the biocube up for sale in the local forum... We'll see if I get any movement on that. It's really a super setup for someone stuck in a smaller apartment but wanting the full SPS/clam experience. Kept nicely colored sticks no problem. I hope I can replicate it with this new tank too.

This poor anthia got popeye from when I added her to the tank. She's kept eating which is good, and it looks like the swelling/popping is finally coming down, so I thinks she's on the other side of the hill, and hopefully she makes a full recovery.

Finally, I'm hoping to get the calcium reactor set up soon. I ended up buying a new solenoid for the Carbondoser I picked up, and I bet that will fix it (I hope so!). Also picked up some new parts to do a nice dual-stage reg too, and I'll just figure out which I like more once they're both operational. I still need to figure out a feed pump too. Is it the end of the world if I use a aqualifter? Those Cole-Parmer and other brand pumps are so damn expensive... But I guess it ain't cheap to play the CaRx game...

Unread 05/01/2018, 08:37 PM   #73
soulpatch
Registered Member

I'd put the carbondoser on dual stage for the best of both worlds.

As for feed pump look at spectrapure ultra precise ato pump. It is what I use and it is able to be set for various feed amounts... it's awesome with 5 year warranty for like 250.

Aqualifter or such will get you going but using needle valve on effluent is not really precise and clogs over time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 05/02/2018, 04:37 AM   #74
LQT
Registered Member

Rumor has it that BRS will be carrying a variable speed Kamoer peristaltic pump for CaRx use sometime soon. Also Spectrapure is supposedly working on a variable speed CaRx pump as well (heard that while chatting with Serdar from GEO at RAP and MACNA last year). When I had my CaRx set up, I was fortunate enough to pick up a Watson Marlow 505s variable speed peristaltic pump for just $250 from eBay. I was able to dial it in in 3 ml/min increments using size 25 tubing and it was dead silent.

Unread 05/02/2018, 05:38 AM   #75
homer1475
Registered Member

Just for another option, pac sun(kore fifth company) is into CalRx now too. No idea how relaible thier stuff is, but they have a peristaltic pump designed for calrx setups for about $350.

I only know because I was on their site last night looking for software for the kore fifth.

Tags
dumpster fish