Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2019, 07:59 AM   #26
MarinaP
Registered Member

Last video is a.chrysogaster pair.

Unread 01/15/2019, 08:57 AM   #27
MarinaP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaP View Post
Last video is a.chrysogaster pair.

Watched it again on a bigger screen. No, they are not chrysogaster. Gasters always have three bars, juvis and adults.

Unread 01/15/2019, 10:10 AM   #28
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

last video is definitely a clarkii.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 12:13 PM   #29
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
I received a response just this morning, but I had been busy and I didn't check my personal fb account. The fish that we have here is A.chrysogaster. I must congratulate you that this is one of the holy grails of the clownfish
Thank you! Are you saying all three are A. chrysogaster or just the yellow specimen? I did not want to say chrysogater for sure because people would say I'm crazy. Diver's Den was selling a young chrysogaster not too long ago and it looked exactly like my yellow juvenile. My friend from the wholesaler told me they were clarkii from a Maldives shipment, (this is the same person who got me A. tricinctus). But, to my knowledge clarkii does no occur in the Maldives. I will ask my friend when he gets another Maldives shipment and see is any more come in. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Planetmacro; 01/15/2019 at 12:51 PM.
Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 12:45 PM   #30
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Hello Friends. I would like to say that I welcome, value and respect everyones opinion when it comes to help with Amphiprion identification. There are many more species of Amphiprion than those described. I love going to the importers and "cherry pick" what's called in the trade "contaminant" specimens. Here's a typical example: if you look closely at a tank filled with hundreds of feeder guppies from Trinidad, you will almost alway find a few Poecilia picta mixed in. This happens with clownfish also. I've found A. sebae and A. allardi mixed in with A. clarkii on several occations.

I'm not in the business of reselling. I love clownfish and breeding clownfish and as I've said in other posts, my goal is to propagate perfect CB fish. Of the many hundreds of A.percula that I've raised none have been perfect. NOT ONE! This is extremely frustrating to me as I've bred and raised over a hundred species of fresh water fish and culling is seldom needed. Well, this is a topic for a separate post. Thanks again.

Last edited by Planetmacro; 01/15/2019 at 12:52 PM.
Unread 01/15/2019, 10:18 PM   #31
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
Thank you! Are you saying all three are A. chrysogaster or just the yellow specimen? I did not want to say chrysogater for sure because people would say I'm crazy. Diver's Den was selling a young chrysogaster not too long ago and it looked exactly like my yellow juvenile. My friend from the wholesaler told me they were clarkii from a Maldives shipment, (this is the same person who got me A. tricinctus). But, to my knowledge clarkii does no occur in the Maldives. I will ask my friend when he gets another Maldives shipment and see is any more come in. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.
I showed him the first video of the clown couple that you published here. I go with A.chrysogaster in the juvenile of the last video without doubts. I hope your future fish reproductions are magnificent

Fiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2019, 09:05 AM   #32
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

https://youtu.be/5pxhQwz5bsk

while a bit younger, these are juvenile A. chrysogaster. there are several distinct differences between this species and the yellow fish in the last video.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2019, 10:04 AM   #33
MarinaP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Popeil View Post
https://youtu.be/5pxhQwz5bsk

while a bit younger, these are juvenile A. chrysogaster. there are several distinct differences between this species and the yellow fish in the last video.
To illustrate the point further with pics of older juvis

Unread 01/16/2019, 06:45 PM   #34
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
I showed him the first video of the clown couple that you published here. I go with A.chrysogaster in the juvenile of the last video without doubts. I hope your future fish reproductions are magnificent
Thank you! I will do my best.

Unread 01/27/2019, 09:39 AM   #35
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Here my clarkii pairing up. The big one is about 3yrs old n just finally got the small one last week n they stopped fight n swimming together now. I like these guys cause they swim around a lot, not just stay in one area. As they mature the colors get darker n brighter.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote