Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2016, 03:27 AM   #1
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Pseudochromis harem groups - a totally different side of dottybacks

When I kept my Pseudochromis fridmani as a pair there was always some hacking and chasing going on and each was hanging out in its own corner. After I added another two to the mix the behavior changed radically. Often they hang out mostly peacefully together (sometimes a bit disciplining seems to be required ) and even if some go away from the group, they always come back within minutes.
I just let the videos tell the story.

Feeding time:

The next species I plan to try this with will be Pseudochromis aldabraensis (neon dottyback)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Winwood
Registered Member

I recently just tried this with 5 fridmani, and it seemed to work well until they became of breeding age. Once females started getting egg laden the dynamic changed substantially. The group became a lot more quarrelsome. So much so, they essentially picked each other off one by one. I only have 1 left sadly from all the squabbling.

Winwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 04:05 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My largest female and the male are definitely breeding. And the next female in line is also definitely of breeding age.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/07/2016, 02:14 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Still all doing fine and hanging out together. Some spawning behavior is also going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwood View Post
I recently just tried this with 5 fridmani, and it seemed to work well until they became of breeding age. Once females started getting egg laden the dynamic changed substantially. The group became a lot more quarrelsome. So much so, they essentially picked each other off one by one. I only have 1 left sadly from all the squabbling.
I suppose you started with a group of juveniles, all the same size? In that situation you will have fights until one has become the male. I found it best to start with two of clearly different size to get a pair. I would also just start with a pair when setting up a group. After the pair has established who is who (ideally this is done not in the tank you want to establish the group in) and is spawning you can get a few more smaller - ideally also with a clear hierarchy among themselves.

Unread 03/07/2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Moort82
Registered Member

Not kept a group but did have a pair of indigo (Sankey X fridmani) and they did well for years breeding constantly. One day I found the male stick thin and docile. It wasn't long before the female went for it and I had to intervene. I couldn't save it but it showed how brutal even one of the more peaceful species can be.
I think what happened was the male just lost condition after all the egg care it does, as they are extremely good parents, and then when it lost condition the female was no longer put in her place and began to transition into a male. She is now a he and has bee for the last couple of years.
I love the dynamic that keeping more than one gives and dottys are just cool in general.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2016, 02:58 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I don't know how old they get, but in my experience males get stressed out a lot in a pair. But I found that my male is now much more relaxed in the group setting - he only needs to keep the largest female in her place, she deals with the next in line and so on. It also keeps the females busy with themselves which in turn takes stress off the male.

Unread 03/08/2016, 05:15 AM   #7
Big E
Registered Member

How long have you had this current group together?

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 05:20 AM   #8
Moort82
Registered Member

Females can live over 10 years based on my springers (well I say female but it could be male, not sure if they need stimulation to turn, it is obviously never had to go through the rigours of breeding). The now male indigo is 6-7 and it's been on its own a few years. I think it is the near constant egg care (as well as the massive energy input) that takes it out of the male and shortens it's life (though I did raise several hundred of his offspring) in the same way it seems to with kauderns.
interestEd to see if after a few years you male gets worn out and then the largest female takes over, moving them all up the hierarchy.

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 10:02 AM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
How long have you had this current group together?
The base pair is together for a year now. The other two have been together for maybe 3 months (and it seems the larger female didn't yet turn male).
In the new tank they are now all together for a few weeks. All females look fat by now as if they get ready to lay eggs.

The one thing I noticed immediately when putting them all together was the reduction of aggression and that they all hang out together a lot.
I would have expected the aggression to go down in a much larger tank but rather expected them to disperse over the tank and each stake out its own territory.
Instead they like hanging out together. Sometimes one or two venture away for an exploration trip, but they always return rather quickly.

Unread 03/08/2016, 11:21 AM   #10
Big E
Registered Member

It would be great to get some updates on this as the months go by.

I didn't think these were harem species, if not it would seem more of them just tolerating each other. I know the tank bred psuedos seem to be less aggressive......is that what you have?

I remember seeing plenty of different tank bred species in one tank get along fine. With wild ones it was a death match.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 03:58 PM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

These are tank bred, but I wouldn't expect much different behavior with wild as long as you can get enough females.

In the wild dottybacks live in harem groups. Fridmani have been observed in groups of up to 8 individuals.

I plan on keeping this updated. So far there are no signs that they may go their own ways. Especially during feedings they like to gang up.

Unread 03/10/2016, 02:25 AM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The fridmani spawned today, but the clump of eggs must have been blown away by the flow during the blast flow period. They got caught on a coral frag:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160309_205242173-1.jpg (68.3 KB, 391 views)

Unread 03/12/2016, 02:11 AM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I feel the 4 are getting closer with time. Especially during feedings they appear as a pretty closed group. This may be in part due to the little a**hole (Starcki damsel) who tries to chase them away during feedings.
But also at other times they seek each other to hand out together.
There are some disciplinary nose pokes but no fighting or aggression.
And at a minimum 3 of the 4 are fully mature and spawning.
All the ones I had before as pairs were way more aggressive to each other.

Unread 03/14/2016, 10:45 PM   #14
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Found one female dead, but no evidence if it was murder or an accident. I didn't see any fighting among the dottybacks. All attacks I've seen came from the damsel.
The two remaining females continue to hang out together.

The male isn't showing either at the moment, but he likely sits on a nest.

I'm gonna get a replacement and maybe some extras as soon as I have the QT space available.

Unread 03/27/2016, 05:06 AM   #15
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I'm down to two. The smallest and the largest are gone.

But I'm near certain that they were not killed by the remaining two or any other fish in the tank for that matter.

My top suspects are the APEX WAV pumps. I've noticed today that the fridmani like to squeeze through the grid to get inside them while they are off. I knew that they did the same previously with the Jebao pumps, but I thought that they wouldn't fit through the tighter grid of the WAV pumps - obviously that was a wrong assumption.
Unfortunately the APEX doesn't allow to let the pumps run on a low idle speed to keep them out

Unread 04/22/2016, 09:40 PM   #16
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I'm down to one now - the female I had for over a year is missing since yesterday. The day before she was still out and fine.

My prime suspects are the pumps - a few days earlier she was way too interested in them.
I need to find a way to keep these stupid fish from swimming into the pumps when they are off.

Unread 07/08/2016, 09:30 PM   #17
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The last one disappeared sometime this week.
At this point I'm convinced that the pumps are the culprits. These fish are nosy and like to explore small openings. When the pumps turn off for a while they like to explore them and may get shredded when the pump restarts.

Not sure if I will add these guys to this tank again.

Unread 06/25/2019, 02:31 AM   #18
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Gonna give these guys another shot:

Unread 06/26/2019, 12:36 PM   #19
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I am considering doing a harem of four Fridmani Basslets in my 180. I built a fake wall with numerous holes to accommodate a harem of Royal Grammas. It worked very well for them, so I hope it'll work for fridmanis too. I like that you can get them captive-bred.

I look forward to reading your progress! Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2019, 03:09 PM   #20
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I am considering doing a harem of four Fridmani Basslets in my 180. I built a fake wall with numerous holes to accommodate a harem of Royal Grammas. It worked very well for them, so I hope it'll work for fridmanis too. I like that you can get them captive-bred.

I have mine with a small fake wall for now and it works, so with a larger one it should work even better.

If you get captive bred make sure to get them from Sea & Reef as they are perfect. The ORA ones I had before had some deformations.
And make sure to get all but one as small ones that are still clearly female (rounded tailfin). The male ("sword" tailfin) should be a little bigger than the females.

Unread 06/26/2019, 03:37 PM   #21
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Very cool concept! Your tanks inspire me to almost duplicate them, between this tank and your BSJ tank! These fish have so much personality, and they're very graceful in a group too, almost mesmerizing. I will be following along for sure.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2019, 04:35 PM   #22
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post

BTW, like Grammas or Assessors these guys swim often with their bellies turned towards the nearest wall even if it is the ceiling of an overhang.

Unread 06/29/2019, 03:17 AM   #23
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Moved them to the 100 gallon tank:

The (potential) male and 3 of the females remained together while the 4th and smallest female got separated from the group and went into hiding somewhere near the gigantea... I hope she survives that.

Unread 07/05/2019, 02:32 PM   #24
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Cool videos. They are so graceful especially in their harem.

Is that a comet grouper in with them? Are you worried about him making snacks out of your dottybacks? Or, do they get along OK?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 06:20 PM   #25
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Cool videos. They are so graceful especially in their harem.

Is that a comet grouper in with them? Are you worried about him making snacks out of your dottybacks? Or, do they get along OK?
There are actually two marine betta in that tank. Calloplesiops only eat shrimp but not fish. I tried and wouldn't even touch frozen fish as long as it is still recognizable as fish. Their whole hunting strategy is tailored towards shrimp and not well suited to catch fish.
The ones that may eat tiny fish are members of the Plesiops genus. They are ambush predators who dart out of their hole to snatch whatever comes by. I got a pair of those in my predators tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk