Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2018, 03:25 PM   #1
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Arsenic levels

Was wanting to know if 0.044 ppm of Arsenic level was dangerously high.
I'm running GFO, And also changed salt brand as well.
Any recommendations

Last edited by ReefTankHunter; 12/04/2018 at 03:55 PM.
ReefTankHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 04:40 PM   #2
Jonesrd1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefTankHunter View Post
Was wanting to know if 0.044 ppm of Arsenic level was dangerously high.
I'm running GFO, And also changed salt brand as well.
Any recommendations
How was your Arsenic level determined, ICP or test kit? If by test kit what is your phosphate level? Ron

Current Tank Info: 55g mixed reef
Jonesrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 07:05 PM   #3
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

ICP, test for arsenic, and po4 is .01.
But have plenty of HA.

Unread 12/04/2018, 10:49 PM   #4
Jonesrd1
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that you have the HA. I asked about ICP because if you were using the colorimetric method for arsenic/arsenate, phosphate gives you a false positive. Personally I would not worry too much about 44 ppb of arsenic but I would try to eliminate the source if possible. The average clean seawater concentration is 1.7 ppb. Ron

Last edited by Jonesrd1; 12/04/2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness
Unread 12/05/2018, 06:30 AM   #5
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Thanks Ron.

Unread 02/17/2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Arsenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesrd1 View Post
Sorry to hear that you have the HA. I asked about ICP because if you were using the colorimetric method for arsenic/arsenate, phosphate gives you a false positive. Personally I would not worry too much about 44 ppb of arsenic but I would try to eliminate the source if possible. The average clean seawater concentration is 1.7 ppb. Ron

A recent ICP test showed .035 ppm arsenic for my tank, and I had 0.04 ppm phosphorus. This wasn't triton but was some place in Colorado (Coral Vue) with which i'm not to impressed / pleased. I used triton about a year earlier and no arsenic showed. So false positive are not uncommon?

What are other sources for arsenic in the tank - magnesium supplements?

Chitownpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 04:15 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

False values seem fairly common with such testing. The trace elements are hard to test accurately at a price point we can afford as hobbyists. I wouldn't worry very much about the arsenic reading. I might check my RO/DI setup to make sure it was functioning properly. Arsenic can show up in some water supply systems.

Most supplements could end up with a bit of arsenic in them, but I can't think of one that is more likely to cause a problem. A problem batch could show up in most products, but I hope that's unlikely.

Unread 02/17/2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Jonesrd1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownpw View Post
A recent ICP test showed .035 ppm arsenic for my tank, and I had 0.04 ppm phosphorus. This wasn't triton but was some place in Colorado (Coral Vue) with which i'm not to impressed / pleased. I used triton about a year earlier and no arsenic showed. So false positive are not uncommon?

What are other sources for arsenic in the tank - magnesium supplements?
Arsenic is notoriously hard to measure in seawater so I don’t want to criticize any lab’s method determination limit. Unfortunately unless you are measuring specifically for arsenic and take a number of sample prep steps the PQL for arsenic is ~0.05 ppm in my experience. Therefore, any concentration below this indicates only at most a positive for the presence of arsenic not a believable concentration. So I would take your .035 with a grain of salt. Trace elements, kalk and magnesium sulfate would be my top three guesses after the salt mix. Sorry I can’t be more help. Without running everything specifically for low level arsenic you could never be sure. If you are having a specific problem I doubt it is arsenic. If you are having no problems don’t worry about arsenic at all. Ron

Unread 02/17/2019, 05:59 PM   #9
Chitownpw
Registered Member

I am actually going to run some samples through a local university to see if there is any real concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/17/2019, 08:41 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

A local college might be able to do the tests properly. I don't know much about what's involved, so I can't add anything useful.

Unread 02/18/2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
A local college might be able to do the tests properly. I don't know much about what's involved, so I can't add anything useful.
If you are in the Chicago area, Loyal has an environmental science department that runs ICP tests (with acid reduction) at various price points depending on the scope of what want tested. There is a website.

Unread 02/18/2019, 08:54 PM   #12
Jonesrd1
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are in the Chicago area, Loyal has an environmental science department that runs ICP tests (with acid reduction) at various price points depending on the scope of what want tested. There is a website.
It will be interesting to see their results for seawater. Also I am sure you know ICP is a sample introduction method, not a type of analysis/detection. OES, MS, AAS, AES.... would be some of the analytical/detection methods that determine what elements and MDL/PQLs apply. Hope this helps you to determine what you need.

Unread 02/21/2019, 08:17 AM   #13
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesrd1 View Post
It will be interesting to see their results for seawater. Also I am sure you know ICP is a sample introduction method, not a type of analysis/detection. OES, MS, AAS, AES.... would be some of the analytical/detection methods that determine what elements and MDL/PQLs apply. Hope this helps you to determine what you need.
They use MS with acid digestion.

Unread 03/04/2019, 06:27 PM   #14
Chitownpw
Registered Member

ICP Test Results

Quote:
They use MS with acid digestion.
I got my ICP test results back. I did 4 tests from the following sources: kitchen sink, top-off (RO/DI) water, reef tank and reef tank with added mag supplement. [it was only around $100 for the 4 tests, not bad]

I read that mag supplements can be a source of arsenic. I use Fritz supplement which is a newer player in the market but a company that LFS switched to and recommends. Given this, I took one of the samples (each sample was about 10 oz) from my reef tank and added about 3 ml of Fritz's mag supp).

Results of interest -

RO/DI Sample - less than .002 mg/l of As
Reef Tank - .066 mg/l of As
Reef Tank w/Mag Supp - .075 mg/l of As

I'm not saying this conclusively shows that the supplement is the source of the arsenic but...

Unread 03/04/2019, 11:11 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

The other possibility is the salt mix.

Unread 03/05/2019, 02:20 PM   #16
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Quote:
The other possibility is the salt mix.

Which is also Fritz Pro - however, just to reiterate, the sample with the added magnesium supplement had higher levels of arsenic.

Unread 03/05/2019, 04:07 PM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

Yes, but those numbers are quite close in terms of expected accuracy, in my opinion.

Unread 03/05/2019, 04:12 PM   #18
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, but those numbers are quite close in terms of expected accuracy, in my opinion.

They were effectively the same sample but one just had additional magnesium supplement. The other thing that was surprising was that the copper reading was higher with the sample that included the supplement. I plan on switching salts and will run an ICP test for each of the salt mixes using fresh RO/DI for each mix. Maybe that will also narrow things.