Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2015, 06:21 PM   #26
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Thanks everyone! I hope that something that I post can help another reef keeper out!

Quote:
Great looking tank and lots of great information! Thanks for the par readings, thinking about converting to ati sun power myself.
I came really close to buying a par meter but then was lucky to find that my local fish store had one. I have a very good relationship with the owner and he rented it to me.

I was not surprised at the numbers being high in the center and top, but I was surprised at how high and how constant the PAR was throughout the tank. When you have 8 bulbs throwing light from all different angles there is very little drop off of PAR between the top of the rock work and the sand, which gives me a lot of flexibility for positioning. The local fish store is an all-radion lit store, and we looked at numbers on his display tank for reference. The drop-off for intensity was very fast as we went from the top to the bottom, at the sand directly below the Radion Pros he was around 100. It is an unexpected benefit of T5s that I didn't know about

On my attached naughty tank I have a 70watt DE metal halide(Ushio 20K) and I found the same thing. At the top of the rocks, center of the tank, par is around 360. on the bottom, 6 inches below that the par is only 150. I highly recommend getting your hands on a meter, ask around - someone local to you may have one for rent.

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 05:14 AM   #27
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

A very nice system with lovely SPS colours. Thanks for sharing with us.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 06:28 AM   #28
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Tank is looking great! Nice Job.

tdb320reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 06:29 AM   #29
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
I'm kind of interested in what a Triton Test would show but Id be worried that the test would lead me to make changes. if it ain't broke, don't fix it

My routine with the tank is pretty simple now, I have an auto top off system attached to a 5 stage RO/DI system, and dowers for the Randy's 2-part. I add the magnesium additive of the two part manually from time to time and top off the containers every couple of days, and clean the skimmer once a week. I add the colors additives every two to three days, about 5 ml each of the blue/purple and red/purple additive.

The plumbing is crazy but the pipes on the outside of the house are heat exchangers. I had to insulate the whole thing:

The heater runs a lot, especially now during wintertime. During summer it adds some heat but a fan over the sump keeps the temperatures from rising above 80.

Very cool!!!... Above pictures remind me when I lived in California.... We reefers just made the whole house about reef... Hahaha

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 10:43 AM   #30
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
A very nice system with lovely SPS colours. Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks Sahin, you know a big part of the reason I started a tank thread was because you asked for one. I just procrastinated like crazy on getting it going!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
Unread 01/08/2015, 10:44 AM   #31
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb320reef View Post
Tank is looking great! Nice Job.
Thanks Very much! I'll be carefully following your rebuild, keep up the good work!

Unread 01/08/2015, 10:46 AM   #32
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Very cool!!!... Above pictures remind me when I lived in California.... We reefers just made the whole house about reef... Hahaha
Hee hee!

"Ok baby, there is going to be some drilling...please don't worry about it"

Unread 01/08/2015, 12:41 PM   #33
reefmutt
Registered Member

Before my wife and I had kids, we lived in an old small rowhouse. I put a 220 in the living room and took over an entire room in the basement below the tank for filtration. I drilled 3 holes through the hardwood floors for drainage and return. And the basement sump room was like a mad scientist lab with pipes and wires and tanks all over the place. Was awesome!!
The tank was part of the house..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 12:57 PM   #34
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Before my wife and I had kids, we lived in an old small rowhouse. I put a 220 in the living room and took over an entire room in the basement below the tank for filtration. I drilled 3 holes through the hardwood floors for drainage and return. And the basement sump room was like a mad scientist lab with pipes and wires and tanks all over the place. Was awesome!!
haha, that's my house!

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 12:57 PM   #35
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Some coral shots:
Blue Tenuis coloring up nicely, this had almost no blue in it when i got it:

And a new acro, maybe a horrida. Its light blue with electric green polyps and its a pain to get a good photo of it:

Unread 01/08/2015, 01:00 PM   #36
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I would love to have a basement for just that reason! I remember my ex wives face when she came home one day and i had been cutting pipe for my first tank on the dining room carpet in my apartment. There were tools and pipe and stuff strewn all over the floor and she was not a happy woman!

Unread 01/08/2015, 03:02 PM   #37
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

I love looking at the set-ups from warm weather reefer's. If I ran a pipe outside, or kept my filtration in the garage it would be so cold in my tank right now I would have to keep only polar bears in it.

tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 07:04 PM   #38
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

New bulbs time! I have been experimenting with using an actinic bulb to increase the amount of 420nm light and feel like its been very successful. So I doubled down on it. The actinic bulb I was using was an ATI actinic, and it was pretty old, so I bought some replacements, going with Giesemann super actinic. Since Marine Depot charges extra to ship less than 4 bulbs, I went ahead and got one of the Aquablue Azures, an Actinic blue, and two super actinics. The Actinic blues have an even mix of actinic and blue, I thought I'd try that out. I expected the azure and one of the actinics would end up as spares.

I tried each of them out and I am very impressed with them. The Azure's spectral graph looks very much like the lagoon blue I was already running, but side by side the azure is a clean, crisp blue-white while the Lagoon blue was a bit yellow and significantly dimmer.

I started mixing and matching and ended up with the following bulbs, front to back:
KZ New Gen
Aquablue Azure
Super Actinic
KZ Fiji Purple
Super Actinic
Actinic Blue
KZ New Gen
ATI Blue Plus

The colors are off the chart good, the tank doesn't look overly blue, and its nice and bright.
I'm pretty fickle with combinations so I may tweak some more but right now I'm very happy. The Fiji Purple bulb is almost 11 months old so I have a replacement for that coming tomorrow and after that all the bulbs will be new or very close to it.

Post correcting the blue on the pics is pretty hard with the amount of violet light that is being generated, so keep in mind the blue is way less but the glow is pretty much right on, and its brighter in person:

Unread 01/08/2015, 07:40 PM   #39
glaukos
Registered Member

Tank looks awesome mchusaey and corals have amazing colors
You really made me rethink my bulb brand and combo
In the pic where you show the tenuis(which is beautiful btw),what's the coral down on the left side?Loripes or something else?

Unread 01/08/2015, 10:54 PM   #40
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Thanks glaukos! I think that the coral you are talking about is a granulosa, but I can't be sure. It could possibly be a loripes as well.

Unread 01/09/2015, 12:22 AM   #41
Jmason95
Registered Member

Great write up, glad you decided to start a thread about your tank!

I saw a pic of your tank oh a month or so ago and thought to myself that your tank looked a lot like my new tank (just the actual tank ), come to find out they're pretty close - mine's 35x28x20 clear back panel, center overflow, rimless starphire with clear silicone...looks about the same

I'm running a 6 bulb ATI fixture with 2 reefbrites - I'm currently running an ATI True Actinic in the mix and have been thinking about swapping out a bulb and throwing in a Giesemann Super Actinic in its place, so I would then be running 2 actinic bulbs... Hopefully this doesn't affect the par too much.

Any chance you can get a shot of your leopard wrasse? Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 01:48 AM   #42
biggles
Registered Member

I love everything about your system mate, especially the beautiful saturated colors on your acros
I grew up with short haired dachshunds as our family pets - i love your dog too !

Keep doing things the way you are regardless of any water test results........

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 02:26 AM   #43
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason95 View Post
Great write up, glad you decided to start a thread about your tank!

I saw a pic of your tank oh a month or so ago and thought to myself that your tank looked a lot like my new tank (just the actual tank ), come to find out they're pretty close - mine's 35x28x20 clear back panel, center overflow, rimless starphire with clear silicone...looks about the same

I'm running a 6 bulb ATI fixture with 2 reefbrites - I'm currently running an ATI True Actinic in the mix and have been thinking about swapping out a bulb and throwing in a Giesemann Super Actinic in its place, so I would then be running 2 actinic bulbs... Hopefully this doesn't affect the par too much.

Any chance you can get a shot of your leopard wrasse? Thanks!
Thanks! Its a really nice dimension, but I have run out of room
I am starting the planning for a larger tank, maybe 6 feet long by 3 feet wide by 22" tall...
Sorry I don't have a shot of the Leopard Wrasse, he is a shy one. Several of the other fish are photo bombers though, I try to take a picture up close and they mob the glass If i can get one Ill post it.

Unread 01/09/2015, 02:37 AM   #44
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I love everything about your system mate, especially the beautiful saturated colors on your acros
I grew up with short haired dachshunds as our family pets - i love your dog too !

Keep doing things the way you are regardless of any water test results........
I'm glad you like it, I'm doing my best to change out the green acros, I had a hard time at the beginning passing them up and they are taking up valuable real-estate now.

The color on the acros is all real, the shop I buy them from uses 400 watt radiums and they are really pale when I get them but they get really rich color when they spend some time under the T5s. Sometimes they change color so dramatically that they look like a different coral. i had one that was pale white with blue polyps that turned orange, then green. Bloody green acros!

The other obsession in my life is our dogs. We actually have 4 wiener dogs, two pure bred, two mixes. Three of them are rescues. I love to show them off so since you gave me an opening, here is Dinky and Woody...heh heh:

and here is Buddy:

And here is how I end up when looking at the tank...im a human pillow. The white pup is Lily:

Last edited by mhucasey; 01/09/2015 at 02:59 AM.
Unread 01/09/2015, 02:58 AM   #45
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Some more coral shots, this time from the side...Colors from the top are easy:

Garf Bonsai...rescued from near death at one point:

German blue polyp(I think):

"Pink" planet....keeping this red has been a pain:

solitaryensis:

The pictures are post processed and desaturated just for you biggles

Unread 01/09/2015, 03:36 AM   #46
biggles
Registered Member

Awesome doggy pics, those guys are too cool for words. I'd be happy being a dog pillow again lol.

Trust me mate, i've post processed enough pics to know your pics don't come close to doing your colors justice but i appreciate you not posting non 'mood lighting' pics.

Anything that looks like a stunning zeo yellow acro at your LFS is to be avoided like the plague - ALL of them are stressed out greeners
It has to be a bloody nice shade of green to keep its place in my display so be brutal, greens are a dime a dozen now days - back in 2000 that's all i could buy, bloody green acros

Those gorgonians are taking the spot your blue speciosa should be growing in.........

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 07:17 AM   #47
markalot

Love the tank and the dogs!

Dinky.

Unread 01/09/2015, 08:29 AM   #48
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

I am surprised to say this, but man I already love this thread. I say this because I have OCD issues, and unless the equipment room is dang near static room clean, it bugs me. But something about your set up makes me smile, and I think it's the sheer ingenuity of it. I don't think I've ever seen a settling tank before, definitely not like that!

Your tank demonstrates just how well your methodology works, it's truly beautiful, congrats on a job well done. I am subscribed for sure.

Current Tank Info: 100G Half Cylinder
Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 08:31 AM   #49
shih87
Registered Member

"Fishes, dogs, holes around the house, never mowing your lawn.... Your wife must love you"... that was what my friend said to me when I lived in California...Hahaha

BTW, good SPS color. Cool!!!

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 11:47 AM   #50
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Anything that looks like a stunning zeo yellow acro at your LFS is to be avoided like the plague - ALL of them are stressed out greeners
Those gorgonians are taking the spot your blue speciosa should be growing in.........
Biggles, any tips on finding a true yellow? You are right about green being a dime a dozen. The other one for me is Purple Stylophora. I wanted one of these based on looks when I got the tank so I got two frags of it and I've probably thrown away a gallon of it straight to the trash while trimming it. I finally chopped a large colony of it that was up front off at the base and gave it to my fish store. I kalk pasted the base and its grown right back. Its a damn weed! I have another colony in the back corner the size of a basketball.

The Gorgonian is another weed. I very much like the idea of a speciosa there, but I haven't seen much of those type acros in the local stores lately...

Quote:
"Fishes, dogs, holes around the house, never mowing your lawn.... Your wife must love you"... that was what my friend said to me when I lived in California...Hahaha
BTW, good SPS color. Cool!!!
California Living is pretty darn good, as long as you can pay...Hopefully getting solar on my house this year to make our tanks use of electricity irrelevant. Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
I am surprised to say this, but man I already love this thread. I say this because I have OCD issues, and unless the equipment room is dang near static room clean, it bugs me. But something about your set up makes me smile, and I think it's the sheer ingenuity of it. I don't think I've ever seen a settling tank before, definitely not like that!

Your tank demonstrates just how well your methodology works, it's truly beautiful, congrats on a job well done. I am subscribed for sure.
Well for a while it was pretty organized out there, and looked good
Under the tank was really well laid out for example too:

I have been truly blessed to have the means to try different methodologies and approaches on the system, and now, after all I tried, its working the best with just a simple Skimmer and Biopellet setup. Sure, the water flows all over the system like a water park, but really thats all it is. I will have a very clean and organized sump under the tank when I upgrade - all the parts will have to fit under there. Thanks for following along with my madness!

Quote:
Love the tank and the dogs!
Dinky.
Thanks!
The best part about wiener dogs is you can use "wiener" constantly in daily speech. Add to that that we have a wiener named Woody and the comedy writes itself