Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2014, 12:58 PM   #1
kdog420000
Registered Member

Thinking about taking a break

Hello,

Been in the hobby for almost 5 years now. wow how time flies. I'm thinking about taking a break for a while... or possibly leaving. Just curious if anyone that has done this and what there thoughts were on equipment. Right now I'm thinking of selling all my live stock and storing my equipment but storage is kind of limiting as for my reason to take a break... TWO two year olds Anyone have regrets of selling it all and getting back and starting all over? Just don't have the time for everything to do the hobby right at this time

kdog420000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 01:49 PM   #2
kd_lc
Registered Member

Honestly I regret it completely. I had nice large tanks duly sucked gear filtration already cycled etc etc.. then I started to see how expensive my newborn was and I had my daughter on the way. Plus working and taking care of my kids n wife amounted to something overwhelming. So I sold everything I kept nothing. I would see other ppls tanks and regret selling. Just imagining how grown everything would have been. So about six months ago I got back in. I saw pricing and whatnot for everything.. man that almost made me not want to get back into the hobby. Even used the things I needed to buy and relearn things I had forgotten about the hobby just seemed to extensive to justify. But I went for it. Now my tanks are established, still learning but my kids enjoy it and I have a little getaway to lose myself in. Imo don't do it. You're hesitant for a reason. Maybe you're bored right now, so try something new. Change up the aqua scape. New fish... larger tank dare I say it? Hth

Current Tank Info: 125 and 75 in Parents house and 12 and 55 Gallon at my place.
kd_lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 01:55 PM   #3
fishuntbike
Registered Member

I haven't done it before but what I know is that technology is evolving very quick so keeping old equipment makes it obsolete and sometimes using older equipment doesn't satisfy us. Sell it while the value is there...but that's me

Unread 09/18/2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Addiction
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishuntbike View Post
I haven't done it before but what I know is that technology is evolving very quick so keeping old equipment makes it obsolete and sometimes using older equipment doesn't satisfy us. Sell it while the value is there...but that's me
Don't get caught up with the new technology too much. For example, lots of people moved to LED lighting and many are sorry. New does not always mean better. This industry is huge and many people are out there just to make money. Keeping live rock and doing water changes is about as simple as it gets, but many people buy a lot of "extras" when it really is not needed. I say keep your stuff.

Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 02:35 PM   #5
acorral
Registered Member

Kind of into a similar situation, 2 y/o boy and 1 y/o girl...

My answer has been switch to a more "conservative" and laid back reefing style... And some automation...

ATO
2 part dosers with DIY additives
Algae and DSB for nutrient control & export.
Skimmerless
No water changes in a very long time
Moderate bio load

And let things be without your hands inside the tank !

This is my fourth tank in 20 years, the past 3 times I took those down I regreted it big time so I promised myself to not do it anymore... This tank will see me die...

acorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 02:51 PM   #6
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

I took 2 years off. and then i got bit by the bug again.

i do like the exciting feeling of assembling everything again, picking the fish, setting up the rocks, and all the other things. so its kinda fun but much more work.

im not excited about new tank woahs that are bound to happen. but its all part of the experience. and now that i have done this before i should be much better off.

do im kind of indifferent about it

Lions, Groupers and Eels o my!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
DoubleM 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 04:07 PM   #7
fishuntbike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Don't get caught up with the new technology too much. For example, lots of people moved to LED lighting and many are sorry. New does not always mean better. This industry is huge and many people are out there just to make money. Keeping live rock and doing water changes is about as simple as it gets, but many people buy a lot of "extras" when it really is not needed. I say keep your stuff.

Very ..very true...I agree

Unread 09/18/2014, 08:50 PM   #8
kdog420000
Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback so far. So torn on what to do!

Unread 09/18/2014, 10:08 PM   #9
vpaul79
Registered Member

I'd break it down and come back. Nothing is permanent. Great thing about coming back in using past experience to guide a new build. New builds are always exciting.

vpaul79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 11:37 PM   #10
electrodude
Registered Member

I was out of it for a couple of years now came back and I kept my equipment. I'm glad I did because I bought most of my stuff new and I wouldnt get my money back. Now that I'm back I'm glad I didn't sell anything because it's just an added expense. Now that I'm more seasoned I can do my builds the way I Should have done it in the first place.

electrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 05:44 AM   #11
kdog420000
Registered Member

Well I think I'm going to take 90, sell the fish and some of the coral. I have a bio cube along with my 90 so I can move a lot of the coral there. Keeping all my equipment. My pumps, lights and filtration is all pretty new stuff and basic. I guess one thing that has been pushing me this way is the extra money I had each month to run the 90 is not really there any more. I have a 100 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium in the basement, big skimmer, large pump all running and now with my fiancé and kids home all day the utilities have gotten kind of high. Good thing is all I have to do is drain is all and move the 90 tank into my basement all my pluming can stay for when I get bit and need to do a new build.

Unread 09/19/2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

I got out 5 years ago.. Was still living with my parents and everything got in the way all the time... Well now I own my own house, and the bug bit me again! I am redoing everything from scratch, basement fish room, display on 1st floor, and more! It's super exciting doing eveyrthing again, especially with doing it right instead of some stuff I did wrong before... Yes it is very expensive to get back in, yes I'm relearning everything over the past 3 months and still don't have water in my tank...

It's fun. And definitely something I can use to get away from reality for a while. Now that I have my own place, I am going to have this for a while! Cheers, it's too much fun to get out completely. If you get out, don't forget about the hobby. All I can say... It's one of a kind!

Unread 09/29/2014, 08:32 PM   #13
woowoodengy
Upgrading my 20gal

I had the bug bad and when I moved and couldn't take my 265 gallon i sold the tank and lights and kept everything else including rock, skimmer, apext etc. Now that I'm ready to get back in its going to be real quick and allot cheaper since i only need a tank and light. Keep the higher end stuff and dump whatever you don't plan on using again.

Current Tank Info: never big enough
woowoodengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 10:14 PM   #14
maazreef
Registered Member

I would do what electrodude suggests. I sold everything because of my limited storage and had to start out fresh with a list and a budget. I don't recommend the headaches. If you have the storage I suggest to store it. Because you will be back sooner than you think.

Current Tank Info: Cubes
maazreef is offline   Reply With Quote