Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2016, 04:42 AM   #1
dianapickles
Registered Member

Help with 200 gallon stocking?

Hi

So I'm wondering if anyone could help with stocking ideas. My 200g is awaiting fish and I'm planning to transfer my other tanks into the one 200g. I'll be transferring the fish slowly to avoid any problems.
Total water volume is about 260gallons.

My current stock from all tanks:
2 yellow tangs
5 chromis
3 anthias
1 coral beauty
2 clownfish
2 firefish
2 yellow belly damsels
1 fox face

The red are the fish that I'm planning to return.
I'm hoping to slowly add larger or colourful fish to the tank if anyone has any suggestions.

dianapickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Sapelo
Registered Member

That's a pretty wide open question given the size of your tank and the stocking you've currently done. You have lots of options.
Personally, wrasse have become some of my favorite tank additions. They come in lots and lots of colors and are very active and engaging. While not a "large" fish, I do enjoy having several of them rather than one centerpiece.
Having said that, you could always add another tang or angel depending on whether or not this is to be a reef tank?

Sapelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2016, 06:16 AM   #3
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Agree with the wrasses. I start setting up a 220 in the next month and it will be anthia and wrasse heavy.

You have 3 anthias. Why not expand the harem or add another harem of a different type?

Unread 01/20/2016, 09:49 AM   #4
scooter31707
Registered Member

It's recommended that if you do a group of Yellow Tangs, it should be 1 or 3 or more. In a200 gallon IMO, I would do 1. You can look into the Bluethroat Trigger, another Dwarf Angel, do 1 Yellow Tang and get some other type of Tang, if you don't have a reef you can look at some Butterflies, Gobies, Blennys, and of Wrasses. You have a lot of options for that size tank. I recommend going to www.liveaquaria.com and look at the fish and read their characteristics and behaviors and decide what you want and come back here with a narrowed down list.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2016, 10:00 AM   #5
dianapickles
Registered Member

Haha I guess I was a bit vague with my question but I was hoping to hear some of your guys favourites and get some ideas.

It's going to be a reef and I really wanted to put a sailfin tang in there but I feel like 3 tangs might be pushing it.
i like fish that group together and strangely enough my anthias actually school with my chromis. Didn't know they even do that... So I'll probably get some different types of anthias and add some colour.
I'm also really liking the red dwarf Angel.
Argh so much to choose from !! Only thing I'm worried about is overstocking. Not even sure how many fish is the limit in a 200g I've seen tanks like mine all the way from 6 fish to 35 fish !!

dianapickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2016, 12:45 PM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

Like I mentioned earlier maybe trade one of the Yellow Tangs for the Sailfin. For as overstocking, it really depends on what equipment you have, and the max size of fish and their aggression behaviors.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 gallon tank, fish advice, fish bioload, stocking, suggestions needed