Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2015, 11:21 PM   #1
rosetc16
Registered Member

What to add to my tank? (Pictures included)

Hey guys,

I have had my tank for about 8 months now and it's doing really well. I have included pictures of it to give you an understanding of how it looks and how crowded it is. I have quite a bit of coral, but my fish feel like they are kinda lacking (don't have a clear, what I call, statement fish or fish that stay out front and are active). My tank is only 40 gallons, but I will upgrade over the next year or two. Here are the current fish in my tank:

-2 mated ocellaris clown fish (who won't host my dang anemone)
-2 mated blue spotted watchman gobies
-2 dart fish (they suck... never come out and very boring. They were my first fish)
-1 Diamond Watchman Goby (My dad, who has a 150 gallon tank, had to put him in mine because he was getting beat to death in his tank within 2 hours)
-1 Neon Dottyback (he is a tough SOB, the clowns hate him and chase him all over the tank, but I think he thinks it's a game haha)
-1 Azure Damsel

The tank isn't too crowded considering the gobys only stay on the bottom, the dartfish never come out, and the dotty back is tiny. I'm not sure if I can add too many more quantity wise, but I would love fish that either school and stay out front, an active fish who will be all over the tank, or something that is really appealing to the eye. Please let me know what you think!

rosetc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 11:21 PM   #2
rosetc16
Registered Member

Picture at this link: http://postimg.org/image/pyd5o1zbx/

rosetc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 07:53 AM   #3
Rubasu
Registered Member

It seems to be a lot of fish in a 40g... I have a 40, and all I have is a pair of clowns and a carpenter flasher wrasse (added last week) - And I'm only planning on adding maybe one more.

But, if you do want a fish that stays out and swimming, I absolutely love my flasher wrasse. Beautiful fish and pretty active in my 40b. And (surprisingly) he swims right up to the large clowns and they all get along. He even stays in a little cave right next the the clowns' hosting area. It made me nervous at first, but it worked out.

Unread 12/30/2015, 08:05 AM   #4
MelloW33
Registered Member

Good looking tank! Keep an eye on that dottyback, those things get mean and may be why your firefish don't come out as often! I would consider replacing it if I were you.

One fish to consider is a Midas Blenny. LiveAquaria has a great price on them lately. Another option I really like for smaller tanks is the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse. Really cool little fish!

Unread 12/30/2015, 08:27 AM   #5
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I agree with Mark, get rid of the Dottyback and the Damsel both will become aggressive to a bad degree.

I too love my Golden Midas Blenny. He's always swimming in the water column and is a beautiful golden yellow. Great fish, very personable and eats anything. He is quite the character too. They will find holes in your LR as their sleeping and resting places. Mine has two, plus they have really cute faces. Here is a picture of mine in his main hole.

I also have quite a few fish in my 40b and have no issues, because I have my tank setup to deal with a heavy bioload. It can be done with experience in reef keeping. If you have any questions always ask.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 08:43 AM   #6
A1t2o
Moved On

Rather than more fish, why not add some SPS coral?

A1t2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Instead of SPS corals I would suggest LPS as they're easier to take care of and not as demanding on water quality.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 09:09 AM   #8
MelloW33
Registered Member

It looks like the OP's coral just needs time to grow, I'm not sure he needs more of it. If that is a galaxea coral on the right side, I would keep an eye out on the surrounding corals as galaxea coral can have quite the sweeper tentacles.

Unread 12/30/2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Jade5051
That guy...

Fairy wrasse.

Tags
40 gallon, advice needed, fish advice, recomendation, reef advice