Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2020, 10:52 PM   #1
mx51
Registered Member

Return pump?

I have a JBJ nano-cube 28g I’m going to set up while I buy all new equipment for my 75 gallon tank . My question is how many times per hour should your return pump flip your volume of water? I am looking at the eheim compaction 600 for the nano cube but for this set up would require 2 of them. They push 159 GPH, or if anyone has a better recommendation I would appreciate it. Thank you for any advice

mx51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2020, 03:46 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

If possible, I'd use whatever return pump you plan on for the 75 with a ball or gate valve in the line to reduce flow.

I prefer fairly low flow through my sump - 10x or less. IMHO, more than that is just wasted energy. For in tank flow you and your tank will be much better served using in-tank power heads/wavemakers/gyres

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2020, 05:10 PM   #3
mx51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
If possible, I'd use whatever return pump you plan on for the 75 with a ball or gate valve in the line to reduce flow.

I prefer fairly low flow through my sump - 10x or less. IMHO, more than that is just wasted energy. For in tank flow you and your tank will be much better served using in-tank power heads/wavemakers/gyres
I agree with the power heads I’m going to put 2 mp10’s in the 28g tank. When I set the 75 gallon tank up it will have ball valves on everything. I was just wondering about return pumps for the 28g tank as it has the section in the back of the tank that serves as a sump. I’m just trying to figure out what to order for it as it is set up for dual return pumps and I will have the wave makers in the DT as well

Unread 06/30/2020, 05:19 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

I'm not too familiar with AIO's but I would think something like a Maxijet 900 or even a sicce 1.0 (for a little more $$) would give you enough flow without breaking the bank.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2020, 07:28 PM   #5
mx51
Registered Member

Thank you for your help it looks like the sicce 1.0 will. It even puts out about the same GPH as the stock pumps that come with the tank. I bought the tank used from the LFS about 4 years ago and it didn’t come with pumps

Unread 07/01/2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Sicce and Eheim and Tunze are my go-to brands for equipment: you can get cheaper, but they often fail, and by the time you replace them, you'll spend that again, and again... Heater? Go for the best (Eheim)---for safety for tank and house.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2020, 11:59 AM   #7
mx51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Sicce and Eheim and Tunze are my go-to brands for equipment: you can get cheaper, but they often fail, and by the time you replace them, you'll spend that again, and again... Heater? Go for the best (Eheim)---for safety for tank and house.
Thank you Sk8r I am not looking for cheap, I want quality equipment. I have been out of the hobby for a couple years and now jumping back in. In my experience before cheap equipment only caused headaches later. But I am new to a tank of the size and the I guess you would call it a sump in the back of the tank. So I am trying to figure everything out before just jumping in and ordering equipment before talking to people. I that makes sense, LOL

Unread 07/01/2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

You'll do fine.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote