Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2020, 04:48 PM   #1
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Noticed bristle worms inside clam

So I was looking at a clam that doesn’t look happy and when I flipped it over I saw a few bristle worms that I tried to pick out but a few of them slithered inside the base of the clam!!! So I was wondering can I freshwater dip the clam to kill the bristle worm?? Or is there another way?

Any advice is appreciated!

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: Oshanickreef
oshanickreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Ruskin
Registered Member

Bristleworms usually don't bother anything healthy and rather show up after the fact to scavenge. How did you flip the clam over? Usually they are sturdily attached by the foot.

You could dip the clam, but it sounds like something else is going on besides the worms.

Current Tank Info: 80g Shallow Rimless
Ruskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

The clam is in trouble. Bristleworms sometimes act to clean up rotten flesh, which is to the clam's benefit, but what's causing the problem may be much smaller: look for signs of pyramid snails. Look up on Google. They're very tiny.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2020, 08:52 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

^^^What Sk8r said^^^

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2020, 07:21 AM   #5
oshanickreef
Registered Member

So updating... that clam died. The hinge where both shell pieces on the clam connect broke so it was unable to keep itself together. I did have my water sent into an ICP and results are low iodine and strontium. I dose iodine and almost immediately all my corals started to look more vibrant and shimmer. The lps puffed back up and could handle my flow again. So long story short. Dose iodine people!!!

Instagram: Oshanickreef
oshanickreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2020, 08:24 AM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

It is part of your salt mix (the ingredients list)---but not all salt mixes are created equal. My favorite is Oceanic, but it runs very high in magnesium (to support large coral population) and that may be extreme for tanks with no corals.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshanickreef View Post
So updating... that clam died. The hinge where both shell pieces on the clam connect broke so it was unable to keep itself together. I did have my water sent into an ICP and results are low iodine and strontium. I dose iodine and almost immediately all my corals started to look more vibrant and shimmer. The lps puffed back up and could handle my flow again. So long story short. Dose iodine people!!!

Did the trouble happen quickly, if so, not sure about the low iodine/strontium cause. I would expect that might take months even if.....

Dosing iodine can be very problematic, I dose iodide/iodate to a 0.03-0.06ppm level, strontium is in my mix. Make sure you test daily to ya get the feel for consumption, overdoses are possible.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote