Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2016, 12:03 PM   #26
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

I agree, SIR PATRICK, makes some great points.

The link didn't work but I figured it out. Wow...spot on in that piece.

Mooch

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 12:22 PM   #27
SIR PATRICK
Registered Member

No one else has any experiences to share on the topic?

Ive still got a few more trade secrets to touch base on...but hoping to hear some experience from everyone before I do.

SIR PATRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 09:13 PM   #28
ecotanker
Registered Member

I had a 3 polyp frag that become unglued from a rocks and floated and got loss some where in my tank for several months. I thought it was a goner until I saw it again recently. I was pale and bleached. I glued it back more firmly and let it recovered. It is now growing and colored up. It certainly does not look like what it did before. It was yellowish, but not more green with some sparkly specks. Thank you for this thread it has give me a better perspective on what is being done and make me more wary of the latest fad polyps.

ecotanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 02:26 AM   #29
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Not a zoa but..
As bought..

After letting the tank get nasty, (trying to see what it would take to get it to spread quick)

It dropped about 6 babies and they all stayed like this..

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2016, 04:40 PM   #30
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR PATRICK View Post
No one else has any experiences to share on the topic?

Ive still got a few more trade secrets to touch base on...but hoping to hear some experience from everyone before I do.
Personally I think

people have a lot

of

success with the gel

filters

and am honestly

surprised

that you guys

don't

find this

type of line by line

no-paragraph

syntax

to

be incredibly

annoying

and

also

unreadable

Making it a poor

choice

to get your

point

across.

In a

way

where

people would actually

be

interested in

following

what

you're

saying.

Unread 05/31/2016, 08:27 PM   #31
aName
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
annoying
Yes.

aName is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 01:26 PM   #32
Piper27
I love bengals

People are using gel filters all the time now to try and create "what they see" . I don't see why people are doing this. Only reason would be because you are shooting under all blue LEDs and you don't want to turn your whites on or learn how to take a good picture. And some just use them to straight up screw with the picture and make the coral into a rainbow... I find gel filters to be lazy, sometimes shady and useless to me. And yes it's very hard to read sentences (and sometimes even just words) that are typed as paragraphs... Organizm, after I got to the bottom of your post I was laughing but also irritated deep down.

Let's revive this thread.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 08:09 PM   #33
LED Jack
Registered Member

Back before the internet ( I really mean 90s), Saving Nemo, and the hobby taking off you would order Zoos by sizes. And when I say order I mean from exporter, trans-shipper, or even distributor. They would list them on a price sheet with several sizes and that was your only choices. It was literally like Christmas back then because not only did you not know what you were getting, you were guaranteed to get some premium stuff because it wasn't being held back or sold at a premium. I haven't seen a list in years but 10 years ago when I closed down my store you would have listings for damn near every color zoo imaginable. Back then the pinks were the cat's meow and the most expensive.

This hobby like many other things has been ruined by capitalism.

LED Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2016, 05:28 AM   #34
bassick
Registered Member

Has anyone tried any of these methods? I had some extra polyps and decided to run an experiment. I figured I would try an ice bath, the results are interesting, but not mind blowing. Just wondering if anyone else tried and what happened when they did

bassick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2019, 06:12 PM   #35
richard_dicosimo
Registered Member

A friend put me on to this thread. I find it an extremely interesting read. I was sad to see that I had reached the end.

Insane prices seem to be common place in the hobby now. I can understand the ethics of selling corals on the brink of melting, but morphing corals is not entirely different from breeding snakes for morphs or dogs for specific traits etc. I suppose it depends on the brutality to which the coral is exposed to achieve that morph.

I think intentionally killing coral is quite sad but how many corals have been killed unintentionally by uneducated hobbyists. More to the point by pushing corals to the brink of what they can handle could lead to a breakthrough on how to make them more resilient making aquaculture better for everyone and possibly helping wild reefs.

I would love to read more on this topic so off to Google I go. I hope this thread comes back to life!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk