Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2018, 11:59 AM   #1
afish70
Registered Member

New setup questions

Hello everyone. I am beginning a new build and am in search of some guidance/advice. I am going to be doing a 90 or 120 gallon mixed reef. I have purchased a sumo/algae scrubber combo from 302 Aquatics. i am looking at using either the Eshoppes Eclipse L overflow or the Synergy Reef 16" Shadow overflow, unless someone has something better they can suggest. i have a Jebao DCP-5000 pump i was going to use fro return pump. all will be plumbed with 1" PVC. i am trying to figure out the skimmer for this setup and if the pump I have will be enough. I have been looking at the Vertex Omega 150, the Reef Octopus Classic 150 EXT, the Reef octopus Classic 150 INT and the new IceCap K-1 160. What are y'alls thoughts on these skimmers? What about my setup? All advice greatly appreciated.

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 01:02 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I suggest the DCP-6500 instead.. Gives you plenty of extra overhead if needed for potential reactors or just whatever..
I'm running one on my 80G and am very happy with it.. Running it at a low percentage of total power also seems to be useful with Jebao products..

I will also suggest a Bubble Magus Curve 5

Unread 12/10/2018, 11:42 AM   #3
manateemark
Registered Member

I would say any of the offerings from reef octopus will be your best bet. Reef Octopus has a good standing reputation. I bought a skimz skimmer for my tank, and regretted the decision for a while, but finally on the 3rd pump have everything working like it should be.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 11:45 AM   #4
manateemark
Registered Member

Also the return pump you have should be adequate. You're really only looking to have 2-3 times turnover now and days in the sump. Just make sure you're pumping more water through the sump than what your skimmer is skimming or else you'll end up having a less efficient skimmer. Also don't go overkill on the skimmer. If the skimmer is rated for 120 gallons then it will be enough even if you go with a heavy bio load. If you go with a 300 gallon rated skimmer then you won't pull much skim mate out. Bulk Reef Supply did a video a couple of weeks ago explaining this phenomenon, which I would encourage you to check out.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote