Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2015, 02:48 PM   #101
kgravity
Registered Member

As a test to see if it was rock or bacteria related i had left about 15g of rc (brand new spectrapure filter 0 tds) running with power heads in the home depot yellow lid black box container and another 4g in 5g bucket ( to see if it was container relate also). In both containers i added 1 cup of tank water. In a few days both containers had developed slime. Then i disenfected and did the same test with esv. All i Got was very slight film on top of the water no slime so i ran it one more time with no tank water and i got the same film after a few days so not sure what that is but ive never notice it in the tank. Not sure if this helps anyone and i dont want to put down rc or promote esv so take it as you will.

kgravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 04:24 PM   #102
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Of those who used dry rock, how new is the setup. How did you cycle your tank. I added a 3 green chromises and never really show a rise in ammonia. I did start a fishless cycle adding 10 ml of ammonia to get the measurable amount to 4ppm. Currently at 1.5ppm before adding more. I have ordered some of Dr Tim's one and only hoping that the good bacteria can start out competing the slimy stuff.

Fishingpcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 11:22 AM   #103
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgravity View Post
As a test to see if it was rock or bacteria related i had left about 15g of rc (brand new spectrapure filter 0 tds) running with power heads in the home depot yellow lid black box container and another 4g in 5g bucket ( to see if it was container relate also). In both containers i added 1 cup of tank water. In a few days both containers had developed slime. Then i disenfected and did the same test with esv. All i Got was very slight film on top of the water no slime so i ran it one more time with no tank water and i got the same film after a few days so not sure what that is but ive never notice it in the tank. Not sure if this helps anyone and i dont want to put down rc or promote esv so take it as you will.
That's a very interesting experiment. I'd probably stick with ESV, personally, but it's somewhat possible that the sliming was a coincidence.

Unread 11/23/2015, 12:38 PM   #104
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

It may be the organics in the salt mix; though there are a lot of Reef Crystal users who don't seem to have these issues;so it may be coincidence? I've never used Reef Crystals or ESV.FWIW,I've used Coral life which adds no organics per their representative and have not encountered the slime noted.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 08:39 PM   #105
kgravity
Registered Member

Well i think its a bit more than just coincidence i have switched back and forth between salts over the past year and the slime always returns with large water changes (<10% per week seems fine) of salts with organics, and always disappears with esv. I think it all has to do with the bacterial ecology of certain tanks. When I was doing these experiments (and also when the slime came back) i was using the exact same batches of rc to do water changes on a friends 90g and my 90g fowlr and neither had issues with the slime, though i didn't do the bucket test. I dont think there is an issue with the rc organics if your tank can handle them or you have the right bacterial balance, but i do think there could be some role played here with the dry rock and a lack of diversity though.

Unread 11/23/2015, 09:06 PM   #106
jonwright
Registered Member

Huh. I have been battling this stuff for a few months. I just now changed water with some fritz reef pro mix. I've only used reef Crystals since the beginning of the tank. Hoping it would run its course.

Now it's replaced after the first water change with horrendous cyano. I know something is not right. Struggling with what it is.

Never ever tested positive for any po4 or nitrates. Ever. Clam is happy. Anemone seems happy. Corals po'd.

jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 07:32 PM   #107
kgravity
Registered Member

My tank has also had po4 and no3 in undetectable levels unless I waaay over feed and even then its almost nothing. Does anyone else with this slime issue have easy to keep low levels?

Unread 11/25/2015, 11:16 AM   #108
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

My 3 bottles of "One and Only" should arrive today and hope to see progress over the next couple of weeks.

Unread 11/25/2015, 03:38 PM   #109
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Arrived and added! Fingers crossed.

Unread 11/25/2015, 04:17 PM   #110
kgravity
Registered Member

clear/white mucus/slime in tank help

Interested to see how it turns out.

Unread 11/25/2015, 05:36 PM   #111
rholguin
Registered Member

I had been battling this slime for some time now. I tried everything from air cleaner in the fish room to dr tims products. It would die down for a couple of weeks and then come back. What did it for me was a bad ro membrane. Replaced it and now tank has been free of this slime.

Current Tank Info: 80g rimless.
rholguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2015, 12:29 PM   #112
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Nothing to report. I replaced RO DI system and this stuff keeps coming back. My sump keeps a head of bubbles like a head on a glass of beer. If you turn on the skimmer it just goes nuts. My ammonia level is still 4ppm which is where I started with the One and Only.

Unread 11/27/2015, 04:57 PM   #113
bertoni
RC Mod

I would do some large water changes to lower the ammonia level. Levels that high might inhibit microbial growth. A 50% change and some Amquel (or the like) might help.

Unread 11/27/2015, 06:29 PM   #114
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

In doing a fishless cycle this is where you would want to start your ammonia level. At least in all the reading I've done.

Unread 11/27/2015, 09:12 PM   #115
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't see any reason to spike the level that much, but it shouldn't do any damage.

Unread 11/28/2015, 10:06 AM   #116
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Ammonia at 3ppm. The only living in tank are 2 green chromis'. They seem to be unphased by the ammonia.

Unread 11/28/2015, 10:12 AM   #117
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

I have read a lot about Alcaligenes bacteria and while my daughter may burn a scented candle from time to time I doubt this is the cause. The precautions that I am taking are turning the fans off that blow into the canopy. Closed the ac vent that blows straight into the sump for cooling.

Unread 11/28/2015, 10:24 PM   #118
Caurimare
Registered Member

Well ley me tell you you would be surprise with the scented candles , I was dealing with the white slime and after reading the coral magazine add I told my wife too stop burning candles for a couple of weeks just to see what happen she thought I was joking lol she loves those candles so I made her read the article well to my surprise the slime went away, I did nothing different just stop burning the candles ... So I was slime free for 3 weeks ,thanksgiving day we decided to burn some candles and the very next day the slime was back !!!!

Caurimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 10:28 PM   #119
Caurimare
Registered Member

they are bath and body works candles we are going to try another brand just to see if it makes a difference..... By the way I just did my regular water change this morning I removed most of the white slime I had and it is basically gone but then again we haven't burned any more candels.... I my case it only froms in the sump.

Unread 11/29/2015, 01:53 PM   #120
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

I just dosed 79ml of waste away to see if it helps clear this up. The bacteria bloom is almost a complete white out fog in the tank. It is a 30" deep tank. 2 green chromis' just keep swimming around.

Unread 11/29/2015, 02:35 PM   #121
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurimare View Post
Well ley me tell you you would be surprise with the scented candles , I was dealing with the white slime and after reading the coral magazine add I told my wife too stop burning candles for a couple of weeks just to see what happen she thought I was joking lol she loves those candles so I made her read the article well to my surprise the slime went away, I did nothing different just stop burning the candles ... So I was slime free for 3 weeks ,thanksgiving day we decided to burn some candles and the very next day the slime was back !!!!
How long did it take from the slime to go away?

Unread 11/29/2015, 04:32 PM   #122
Caurimare
Registered Member

About 3 or 4 days I was slime free... I did vacuum the sump and removed as much as I could . But it never came back until thanksgiving when we burned a candle .

Unread 11/30/2015, 09:00 AM   #123
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurimare View Post
About 3 or 4 days I was slime free... I did vacuum the sump and removed as much as I could . But it never came back until thanksgiving when we burned a candle .
Thanks for the info.

Unread 11/30/2015, 11:38 AM   #124
Caurimare
Registered Member

no problem

Unread 11/30/2015, 08:32 PM   #125
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

I'm done. Tearing it down again. The tank is a white fog with long white stringy bacteria growing 6 to 8 inches in a day.