Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Eman79
Registered Member

Moonlight LED's are too bright

Hi All,

I have installed a 350mA moonlight driver with 2 "moonlight" blue LED's in PARALLEL and it is just way too bright. I've added a small shield, but it is still too bright for my taste and for what I think the fish would "expect" at night. Any ideas on how to further reduce the brightness? I'm no electrical engineer, but in parallel, I believe that each bulb should be only seeing 175mA. The driver is not a dimmable model.

TIA.

Eman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Wifi
Registered Member

Try covering more with shield or something black and use a paper hole punch or something equvilant to allow the amount of light that you want. Holes can be off centered than placed directly under LEDs.

Wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2012, 01:09 AM   #3
kcress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman79 View Post
Hi All,

I have installed a 350mA moonlight driver with 2 "moonlight" blue LED's in PARALLEL and it is just way too bright. I've added a small shield, but it is still too bright for my taste and for what I think the fish would "expect" at night. Any ideas on how to further reduce the brightness? I'm no electrical engineer, but in parallel, I believe that each bulb should be only seeing 175mA. The driver is not a dimmable model.

TIA.
That's not going to help.

You really need to be down around 20mA to have the brightness you seek. Hi power LEDs are really lousy for moonlights. Much better are regular gum-drop LEDs.

Another thing to consider is one LED shining in one place like the center or an end. That way you get some effect and the fish can move out of the "beam" if they want. If you have fixed coral you probably just need to go dimmer.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Yaryman
Registered Member

Not going to help you, but I had to turn my LED moon lights off at 9pm as they were too bright for the fish.

I'm using this LED setup I purchased on Ebay.

The information display now kind of serves as a moon light.

Yaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2012, 11:37 AM   #5
10reefman
Registered Member

try the leds in series

10reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2012, 12:02 PM   #6
ghellin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10reefman View Post
try the leds in series
This would double the current light and make them twice as bright on his non dimmable driver.

Go with the gum drop LEDs at 20mA kcress is right.

Unread 07/31/2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Rhodophyta
Registered Member

Or maybe it's the tank is too small, not the light's too bright (wishful thinking) What about raising the light? One of the public aquariums experimenting with spawning corals, had a board above the tank with seven nails. The light was lifted to a higher nail each day and then when it reached the top, a lower nail each day after that.

Rhodophyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Eman79
Registered Member

Yes, it's too bad. My main blue LED's were on a dimmable driver that would never completely turn off. The faint glow was a PERFECT moonlight. I added LED's to rectify the problem of the LED's blinking below 50% power, and as a side effect, they now turn completely off (like they are supposed to anyway.) I was hoping that I could add some kind of resistance to the circuit, but if the recommendation is 20mA, it doesn't sound like that is an option. Looks like I will be spending some more $$$, and NOT be recommending the moonlight kits from RAPID any time soon.

Eman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 10:42 AM   #9
CBRzilla
Registered Member

Here is a document I wrote on how to make the RapidLED 350mA drivers dimmable. Using the components I put in my brother-in-laws (100 ohm resistor and 1k pot) I got his driver to be adjustable between 10mA and the full 350mA.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54538354/Moo...driver_mod.pdf

Enjoy!

CBRzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 09:46 AM   #10
CBRzilla
Registered Member

Dropbox has been failing as a document host site! Here is a new link to where I keep the instructions now

https://sites.google.com/site/projec...0ma_driver_mod

Unread 08/30/2012, 10:24 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

LED's should never be put in parallel.. does it work..yes sometimes it does.. Is it wrong.. yes it is..
You cannot guarantee that they will share current equally.

Unread 08/30/2012, 01:39 PM   #12
kcress
Registered Member

Eman79; Whoa.. You don't have to spend hardly anything to get nice moonlight.

Get some old wallwart, a couple of gum drop (T-1, T1-3/4) style LEDs in any of the dozens of colors available, and a couple of resistors and you're in business. You don't need expensive current control for moonlight.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 06:59 AM   #13
CBRzilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcress View Post
Eman79; Whoa.. You don't have to spend hardly anything to get nice moonlight.

Get some old wallwart, a couple of gum drop (T-1, T1-3/4) style LEDs in any of the dozens of colors available, and a couple of resistors and you're in business.
The moonlight driver is only $10... $18 and it comes with CREE LEDs

If you happen to have an old wall wart laying around this could work fine. In fact you can turn an old wall wart into a current driver for around $3 I'd guess off the top of my head... Sounds like another project/instruction I could put together!

The issue I have with driving LEDs with a voltage source is that LEDs are extremely sensitive to over voltage (they draw current at an exponential rate to the voltage applied) and since wall warts aren't usually regulated very tightly, the LEDs won't last along as if you used a current regulator (unless you have a better one which would cost more than $10 anyway)

Unread 08/31/2012, 08:13 AM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRzilla View Post
The moonlight driver is only $10... $18 and it comes with CREE LEDs

If you happen to have an old wall wart laying around this could work fine. In fact you can turn an old wall wart into a current driver for around $3 I'd guess off the top of my head... Sounds like another project/instruction I could put together!

The issue I have with driving LEDs with a voltage source is that LEDs are extremely sensitive to over voltage (they draw current at an exponential rate to the voltage applied) and since wall warts aren't usually regulated very tightly, the LEDs won't last along as if you used a current regulator (unless you have a better one which would cost more than $10 anyway)
he said resistors. So current limiting is taken care of.

Unread 08/31/2012, 03:11 PM   #15
CBRzilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
he said resistors. So current limiting is taken care of.
Yes, resistors are a form of uncontrolled current limiting, I was just making the argument that a current limiting driver is not an expensive solution (unless you are getting a high output regulated one, in that case a regular wall wart wouldn't work anyway), in fact the wall wart I bought for my WiFi reef controller i just built cost more than rapidLEDs moonlight driver!

Unread 08/31/2012, 05:54 PM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRzilla View Post
Yes, resistors are a form of uncontrolled current limiting,
"uncontrolled" ... Ohms law would disagree.

but hey..go ahead and spend the money then mod the driver because its WAY too powerful by adding a pot or whatever.

I'll just stick with a couple 10 cent leds and a couple 5 cent resistors and heck everyone has an unused "free" wallwart around somewhere.

Another simple device for a simple constant current supply (up to 1000mA or so) from a wallwart supply is an LM317 IC and a resistor.

Don't get me wrong thats a good little driver but just a waste for a moonlight.

Unread 08/31/2012, 06:08 PM   #17
triggreef
Registered Member

get a kit from steves leds on sale for $25. then you can dim it and have any color you want to. with a remote control. lol

triggreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 10:39 PM   #18
CBRzilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggreef View Post
get a kit from steves leds on sale for $25. then you can dim it and have any color you want to. with a remote control. lol
Now what fun is that! Lol

Unread 08/31/2012, 10:57 PM   #19
CBRzilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
"uncontrolled" ... Ohms law would disagree.

I'll just stick with a couple 10 cent leds and a couple 5 cent resistors and heck everyone has an unused "free" wallwart around somewhere.

Another simple device for a simple constant current supply (up to 1000mA or so) from a wallwart supply is an LM317 IC and a resistor.

Don't get me wrong thats a good little driver but just a waste for a moonlight.
Uncontrolled because it's a fixed resistance value, so no control if the voltage changes either from inconsistent led voltages or an led failure, for example if one led fails short, then all the other LEDs current spikes way up and fail very shortly after. I've had this problem with some of my first led builds (even picking resistors that limited the current to half the led ratings I was still seeing failures), learned the hard way that current regulators are a better choice for long term leds (all my resistor with a wall wart lights are cooked while my first current regulated led light is still going strong)

But this is an argument that could go on forever since there are pros and cons that can be argued for both... I definitely agree with you on the moonlight driver being way too much though. Normal gumdrop LEDs are plenty bright enough for a moonlight!

Unread 04/13/2016, 05:08 PM   #20
becon776
Registered Member

I have odyssea fixture (hey its what i could afford lol) and after one day the leds are blinking like xmas lights replaced all the bulbs because that was sellers idea for a fix. Seems like a ballast problem idea?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote