Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2011, 02:25 PM   #251
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I promise that the Clorox bomb will work.
Yes it will but be sure to only use "Regular" Clorox, no scents, fragrances, colors, easy pour or anything like that. I know for a fact that if you use "New Fresh Scent Clorox" you will kill all of your fish in a matter of seconds.
Don't ask.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2011, 02:35 PM   #252
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I know for a fact that if you use "New Fresh Scent Clorox" you will kill all of your fish in a matter of seconds.
Don't ask.
Paul, buddy..... Please tell me you don't know from experience?

I only use the manly unscented regular bleach. Who would have respect for a guy buying that foo-foo bleach while standing in line at Lowe's... I would buy groceries there if they sold them!

Save 'Wild' Nemo and his Nem.! Would you transplant a Redwood b/c it looks good with birds in the backyard??? Buy CB fish and Captive-Cloned nems.

Current Tank Info: 175gal. 3-tier Reef, 400W/250W Radiums, LED/CFL Par38 Mangrove Lagoon 12g Aquapod GBTA 'sterile' tank w/ DIY LED Lighting
DeathWish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2011, 06:09 PM   #253
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Yes it will but be sure to only use "Regular" Clorox, no scents, fragrances, colors, easy pour or anything like that. I know for a fact that if you use "New Fresh Scent Clorox" you will kill all of your fish in a matter of seconds.
Don't ask.
Oh yeah I know that one when I did some stuff to my freshwater tank. But I have been pulling out the rocks one by one and have been nuking it with Peroxide. It seems to be working other than I keep on seeing it pop up in my sand bed. I keep on pulling that up as I see it. On only have a couple of rocks that still have some one it. Just one or two chunks of it that I seem to have missed. So I will get them on my next round.

Unread 08/14/2011, 10:51 PM   #254
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Well I have dosed my tank with Tech-M until it got to 1700. And I still have Bryopsis. The only ones that dont have it is the smaller rocks that I could take out and hit them with H2O2. Now I have seen it starting to grow in my sand and my back glass. Im not starting to be a happy camper right now. What are some of the other tricks that some of you have used that your hiding?

Unread 08/19/2011, 10:03 AM   #255
PWRDrill
Registered Member

Here's another vote for the Foxface rabbit fish. About 3 seconds after I placed him in my 125, he started going to town on the Bryopsis. I couldn't believe that he didn't go hide in a corner or something; just straight to work!

PWRDrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2011, 08:00 AM   #256
nattarbox
Registered Member

If there was ever a total nuclear war, the only thing left would be cockroaches and bryopsis.

I'm planning out a new tank, partly because I want to and partly because I have given up on eradicating this devil weed from my current tank. Obviously I want to move all my livestock over to the new system, but without transferring the bryopsis in the process.

I suppose a quarantine tank would be the only fully effective means for doing that? This whole thing started as one little strand coming in on a frag plug, and I've heard that even a few cells going through the digestive track of an animal can be enough to kickoff a new infestation.

nattarbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2011, 08:22 AM   #257
Elliott
Registered Member

I gave up too after spending a great deal of time and money trying to eradicate Bryopsis. It went away after the first treatment with Kent Tech M but soon returned more aggressive and tolerant to it. A tank upgrade gave me the opportunity to eradicate it.

So, I broke the tank down, soaked the rock in diluted muriatic acid followed by drying in the Arizona sun for a week. I transferred the corals to a qt, tossing everything with Bryopsis on it and fish to a separate qt.

To my amazement the coral qt has grown Bryopsis in the sump! So far, the new DT with the treated LR has not developed Bryopsis however I would not be surprised if it did. However I am now dealing with high phosphate and nitrate leaching out from the LR from the dead biomass.

I guess if I would have soaked the rock in RO/DI with periodic water changes I could have removed much of it prior to setting the DT back up.

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2011, 06:57 AM   #258
nattarbox
Registered Member

So you would up with bryopsis in the quarantine tank for corals that you thought were clear? That is my main concern about starting a new system. I've got a couple of nice colonies, so the options seem to be:

1. Move them to the new tank, risk having the same issue
2. Get rid of them (don't think I could do it)
3. Beat or somehow control the algae in the current tank.

I think I'm going to take one more serious stab at beating it before I start to consider the other options. I beat cyanobacteria, and a number other outbreaks in freshwater tanks.

I'm going to start with the magnesium, then phase in urchins and sea slugs. I had good luck with the slugs, but didn't buy them in large enough numbers, or replace them as they died (very short lifespan).

To arms!

Unread 08/22/2011, 07:35 AM   #259
Elliott
Registered Member

I wish you luck

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2011, 09:47 AM   #260
mccorry
Registered Member

The Tech-M didn't touch my Byropsis, either.

Now I'm looking at possibly some kind of tang. I've heard that a Mimic Half Black Tang will eat filimentatious algae. Any input on this?

I'm getting tired of my tank looking like crap and having to pull algae every other day. Argh!

mccorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 09:28 PM   #261
nattarbox
Registered Member

Got my magnesium test kit and some supplement in today. That test is some serious chemistry kid business! I ended up at 1000ppm two weeks after the last water change, a little lower than normal. I'm going to shoot for raising it about 25ppm every other day, with a target of 1800-2000ppm, as suggested by the various places that claim magnesium will inhibit bryopsis growth.

Assuming this shows any evidence of slowing growth, I'll bring in the sea slugs and maybe try out some urchins.

But first, I'm going to go to Burning Man and forget all about algae.

Unread 09/13/2011, 07:39 AM   #262
nattarbox
Registered Member

Anyone tried a UV sterilizer as part of their arsenal? I used one effectively against green water (single cell algae) in a freshwater tank. I figure if byopsis fragments are breaking off during manual removal and staying viable, a little UV zapping might not hurt. My tank is small, so there are some cheap (>$50) options, figure it is worth a shot.

I'm on day six of magnesium dosing, adding 25g of Seachem Reef Advantage daily. That should be good for a 25ppm increase daily, but it is testing at about the level I started with, 1000ppm. I'll give it another week or so and then consider increasing the dose. I've noticed a visible increase in SPS growth (white edges on montipora) and coraline algae on the glass since I started adding the magnesium.

Also considering ditching the HoB filter for a canister, so I can increase the volume of chemical and biological media I run.

Unread 09/19/2011, 07:36 PM   #263
nattarbox
Registered Member

After 12 days of dosing, I'm testing at 1200ppm for magnesium. That is rising a little slower than I expected, but everything seems healthy in the tank so I plan on continuing at the same pace.

I'd like to say that, anecdotally at least, byropsis growth appears to have slowed somewhat. But I think that might just be because I've been paying increased attention to the tank since getting serious about eradicating it.

The lettuce sea slugs haven't been in stock at the place I normally order them from, but as soon as they are I plan on ordering at least a dozen.

Unread 09/19/2011, 07:42 PM   #264
nattarbox
Registered Member

Double post, sorry.

Unread 09/22/2011, 10:28 AM   #265
nattarbox
Registered Member

Alrighty, 12x Elysia crispata (green lettuce sea slugs) have been added. I dropped them directly on the largest patch of algae and they immediately grabbed a plate and hit the salad bar.

Also added 2x Lytechinus variegatus (pincushion urchins). I have no experience with this species and bryopsis, but they look neat and I've never kept urchins before. I placed them on the sand so they wouldn't bother the slugs. I'll update with any observations on how those work out.

I probably should have attempted to raise the magnesium and observed those effects for awhile before introducing herbivores. I was afraid that given how long it is taking to raise the magnesium levels that it might be winter by the time that was done, and it gets kind of dicey to mail order sea life around here in the winter. Scorched earth approach instead!

Unread 10/02/2011, 10:31 AM   #266
fullmonti
now is the time

Angry

This stuff has just about taken all the fun out of reef keeping for me.

I'm assuming it is the dreaded Bryopsis?

It is in a 180 sps tank. It got started when one or more of my RODI cartridges died. I replaced all of them once I figured out that was the problem. I have a over sized skimmer & keep a clean tank & sump. I tried the tech M, ran mag. up to 1800 nothing, been running GFO for months (never ever needed to before), do two water changes a week, have a ozone reactor, water is crystal clear, put 125 more snails & 50 more hermits, nitrate has been less than 1 for 3yrs & phosphate .o3 for months since new RODI, I spend 2-3 hours every few days pulling this crap of the rocks, I even found a home for a couple of largsish fish to lighten the bio-load, and still it grows. My rocks are glued together & have large corals incrusted on them so can't really take them out & nukem. I have a couple thousand gph going through my overflow, so not sure a sea hair would last very long in my tank. I don't have a refugium to fill up with algae, never needed one. About the only thing more I can think of is to set up a algae scrubber. Don't really have a good spot for one, & was hoping some one might have another suggestion.

After reading much of this thread I have to say I'm more discouraged than before.

Looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, Hoping it's not a train!

Jim

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2011, 08:50 AM   #267
nattarbox
Registered Member

A little over a month in, my magnesium levels have slowly risen to 1375. I reduced my dose from 25g to 15g, because the amount of water it took to dissolve the larger dose was far more than I'm evaporating daily. Haven't seen any noticeable difference in algae growth yet.

The pincushion urchins, while neat, have showed no interest in bryopsis. The sea slugs are all over it as usual, but even a dozen isn't putting a dent in it. I think that if I can get the growth under control, the slugs would be useful for delivering the finishing blow.

Jim, out of curiosity and because I clearly have no words of comfort to offer yet, how long did it take to build your magnesium levels up to 1800? And how long did you maintain them at that level?

Unread 10/10/2011, 04:21 PM   #268
fullmonti
now is the time

It took a week to two weeks, kept it there for awhile & it took another few weeks for it to come back down to normal.

I have installed a algae scrubber, no growth on it yet. It has shut my skimmer down though. I'm guessing because of all the new acrylic parts have to get some slime on them first (been a week now).

I just spent 2-3 hours picking this crap off again.

pruned fingers Jim

Unread 10/12/2011, 05:54 AM   #269
nattarbox
Registered Member

One to two weeks seems really accelerated to get magnesium from ~1200 to ~1800. I've been working at it for about a month and still have quite a ways to go. Although I was also starting at a level that was lower than where it should have been.

I'm guessing it would also take longer than a few weeks of magnesium being maintained at that elevated level before the bryopsis begins to show any signs of being affected by it too. My plan is to try and keep it at 1800 or higher for at least a few months to observe wether there is any benefit.

Unread 10/12/2011, 09:15 AM   #270
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
This stuff has just about taken all the fun out of reef keeping for me.

I'm assuming it is the dreaded Bryopsis?

It is in a 180 sps tank. It got started when one or more of my RODI cartridges died. I replaced all of them once I figured out that was the problem. I have a over sized skimmer & keep a clean tank & sump. I tried the tech M, ran mag. up to 1800 nothing, been running GFO for months (never ever needed to before), do two water changes a week, have a ozone reactor, water is crystal clear, put 125 more snails & 50 more hermits, nitrate has been less than 1 for 3yrs & phosphate .o3 for months since new RODI, I spend 2-3 hours every few days pulling this crap of the rocks, I even found a home for a couple of largsish fish to lighten the bio-load, and still it grows. My rocks are glued together & have large corals incrusted on them so can't really take them out & nukem. I have a couple thousand gph going through my overflow, so not sure a sea hair would last very long in my tank. I don't have a refugium to fill up with algae, never needed one. About the only thing more I can think of is to set up a algae scrubber. Don't really have a good spot for one, & was hoping some one might have another suggestion.

After reading much of this thread I have to say I'm more discouraged than before.

Looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, Hoping it's not a train!

Jim
Same scenario here.... Major flow in my tank, coupled with high Mg (~1600ppm) and a algae scrubber did nothing. I took the scrubber off-line and replaced it with the nasty taxifolia in my lagoon. Bryopsis = DEAD! Yea!

Now.... the dreaded HA has reared it's ugly mug. P04 & NO3 = Undetectable and constant agitation to any detritus has done nothing. The taxifolia and mangroves are growing great in the lagoon and I've just started to accept some algae. I'll harvets what I can and deal with it.

From my experience, the best GFO schedule coupled with some means to reduce nitrates and lower feedings is not enough to cure the HA and bryopsis. Even if you choke it out of existence, it will flare up at the smallest foothold of PO4 or NO3 it can grab. I prefer a low nutrient load, but not ULNS so a little algae never killed anything.

Save 'Wild' Nemo and his Nem.! Would you transplant a Redwood b/c it looks good with birds in the backyard??? Buy CB fish and Captive-Cloned nems.

Current Tank Info: 175gal. 3-tier Reef, 400W/250W Radiums, LED/CFL Par38 Mangrove Lagoon 12g Aquapod GBTA 'sterile' tank w/ DIY LED Lighting
Unread 10/12/2011, 12:20 PM   #271
nattarbox
Registered Member

Sorry, just to be clear, you're saying that introducing Caulerpa taxifolia into your system somewhere resulted in the bryopsis dying off? Presumably by being outcompeted for nutrients?

Unread 10/12/2011, 12:33 PM   #272
fullmonti
now is the time

I could live with a little algae just fine. But this crap will & has killed sps if I don't spend some hours every week picking it out. Just tested phosphate with hanna meter, has been .02 for last couple months now down to .01, tank is so clean there are hardly any pods any more & still it grows. I also found a home for two good sized fish to reduce feeding. It seems like nothing will eat the stuff either. I have always loved my tank, but last couple months it's just about been more aggravation than it's worth. Wife has asked me what the fun part was again. Don't know what I'll do if the algae scrubber does nothing, but it will have to be something severe!

Unread 10/12/2011, 03:49 PM   #273
vegastyle
Registered Member

I tried running Kent M up to 2100 for 4 weeks, GFO, washing frozen foods with RO/DI, and pulling rocks and spraying H2O2 on them-would kill the byropsis then come back in 10-14 days. Two weeks ago I pulled a byopsis coverd rock and dipped it in pure Kent M for 5 minutes, the bryopsis is still gone, maybe a final solution ??

vegastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2011, 05:13 PM   #274
fullmonti
now is the time

If I have to do something that requirers cutting my corals off the rocks just so I can kill something that might come back, I would go to a fish only tank with little to no light or fresh water. I will not fight this crap forever! Not trying to be a drama queen, I'm just sick of this stuff. As always I appreciate the suggestions & encouragement though.

Jim

Unread 10/13/2011, 08:12 AM   #275
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattarbox View Post
Sorry, just to be clear, you're saying that introducing Caulerpa taxifolia into your system somewhere resulted in the bryopsis dying off? Presumably by being outcompeted for nutrients?
Yes, the C. Taxifolia outcompeted the bryopsis but does nothing against HA. I added some 20 mangroves about 3 months after adding the C. Taxifolia and the tiny patch of bryopsis died. Unfortunately this has happened before in this system when I was dosing vodka. Once I stopped dosing a carbon source, the bryopsis took maybe a month to pop back out of the same area on that rock. Once this stuff is 'seeded' on a rock, past a clorox dunk it's possible to always come back.

Tags
bryopsis, hair algae