Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2016, 07:05 PM   #76
neiltus
Registered Member

I would love a leopard wrasse, but I have heard there a PITA to get to eat...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 09:29 PM   #77
tenurepro
Registered Member

I heard that too. But I also know a few people that got them to eat pretty much everything. Mine just disappeared; perhaps it got too stressed during shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2016, 03:00 PM   #78
tenurepro
Registered Member

Ok back from vacation with an update: so now had autofeeder on for three weeks straight. Last week phosphates were high (0.09 ppm) and GHA was starting to grow but Corals looked happy and were coloring up. I continued with the autofeeder (by necessity) feeding twice a day last week and today phosphates have dropped to 0.003 ppm, very very little GHA in the tank, no cyano, barely detectable nitrates, alk and ca dropped to 9.8 and 380. Corals look great; new growth and better color. Fish look fat.
I think I was running to clean first too month, worrying too much over parameters. I've decided to keep the autofeeder and not worry too much about parameter watching- just judge by how things are looking in the tank. Will keep alk above 8 and Ca above 400 but that is about it.

Unread 09/03/2016, 03:24 PM   #79
Jason777
Registered Member

Which auto feeder are you using? I went back through the thread and probably just missed it.

Jason777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2016, 03:35 PM   #80
tenurepro
Registered Member

I use an ehiem feeder and station. Feed twice a day but the feeder puts out more than twice the pellets I normally feed even at lowest setting

Unread 09/03/2016, 04:49 PM   #81
Cabo31
Registered Member

Make sure you put tape on that feeder to hold the door in position. If it slips while your gone it can dump the whole container into your tank.

Cabo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2016, 06:15 PM   #82
tenurepro
Registered Member

Good point

Unread 09/03/2016, 07:13 PM   #83
Cabo31
Registered Member

Electrical tape seems to work the best for me

Unread 09/03/2016, 07:23 PM   #84
tenurepro
Registered Member

Did you have an accident with the same auto feeder before or are your concerns theoretical?

Unread 09/04/2016, 05:39 PM   #85
Cabo31
Registered Member

My friend who maintaines aquiriums for a living had it happen a couple of times on customers tanks. They learn the hard way

Unread 09/07/2016, 07:03 AM   #86
tenurepro
Registered Member

Added 3 small blue green chromis to the tank last night; they've been eating well and looking good in the QT for over 3 weeks. The three amigos or the three horsemen of the reef apocalypse ... Time will tell.

Unread 09/08/2016, 04:16 PM   #87
tenurepro
Registered Member

Wow... Crazy news! I come home to see how the chromis are doing when I spot am unusual fish in the tank.... It's Kayser Söze, my presumed dead black leopard wrasse! I mean I listed him as MIA in my spreadsheet last week. unbelievable. So I saw Kayser all of 3 times since I added him to the tank a month and a week ago. Last time I saw him was two weeks ago after lights out. He looked healthy picking on things in the live rock today. I quickly dropped a cube of mysis in the tank. Other fish went on a feeding frenzy. Kayser Söze of course disappeared into the Sand immediately! I guess it is true. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convince the world that he didn't exist... And just like that 'poof' he disappeared! (If this sounds weird, please go watch the Usual Suspects immediately)

Unread 09/08/2016, 05:06 PM   #88
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Glad to hear that he is still alive! My sea cucumber does the disappearing act for 6 to 8 weeks at a time, but that is his job after all.

Unread 09/09/2016, 06:59 AM   #89
tenurepro
Registered Member

Ok - some sad news this morning. Found Kayser Söze dead on the sandbed. Did a postmortem and no obvious signs of injuries / sickness. He seemed thin but not deathly thin if you know what I mean. Never fun to lose a fish. I've heard leopards can be tricky. I didn't QT him based on advice of a few folks, thinking that he would be better off in the display with all the pods and live rock and sand. He may have had a parasite that contributed to this. Also he was in my nano when I intentionally dug him to Sell the tank. Maybe it was the stress of getting introduced to two different systems that did it. Either way, very sad to lose such a beautiful fish

Unread 09/14/2016, 06:13 AM   #90
tenurepro
Registered Member

3 month video and sps tour!
https://youtu.be/uqmZh3p1tfQ

Unread 09/14/2016, 06:04 PM   #91
tenurepro
Registered Member

Motivated by Rpc07, I decided to turn the stock ATO into a fuge. It will be fed by my phosban reactor with the aim of providing some space for a pod population. I wanted to drill two bulkheads for a main and an emergency. First time drilling the tank so was very nervous. 1/2" bulkheads need a 1-1/8" hole. I found a little glass drilling kit which came with a drilling guide. I marked the holes on the tank, setup the drill and guide and gave it a go but the drill started dancing on the glass yikes!

Ok plan b, need a better guide and to practice. Managed to find some spare tiles and after some trial and error, managed to drill a 1-1/8" hole in it - yay!

So I built a little plumbers putty dam on the ato tank, lightly clamped the ceramic tile on it and started drilling to get the hole started, then finished it off free hand ... Success

Of course, rookie mistakes where made. I penciled in the emergency overflow half an inch Higher than main but with all the mishaps and excitement, it only ended 1/4" higher. But I think I can fix this by elevating the emergency overflow nozzle a bit.
Will cover the sides of the tank to prevent light creep outside the fuge and shop for a little light and hook it up tomorrow

Unread 09/15/2016, 10:26 AM   #92
pelphrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Up, we have another Union, a female threaded adaptor and another naked barbed 1/2" fitting which will soft connect the plumping to the reefer's return.
The total height of pluming and vectra is 21"

1) managed to get 3/4" male / hose adaptor on the reefer return plumbing. It took 3 attempts. What worked best is to take the o ring from the original male / 5/8" hose fitting, put a few layers of 3mm pink Teflon tape on the threads. Leak free connection to 3/4" adaptor on my vectra hardplumbing. Yay!
Did you not like the flow out of the 1/2" adapter? I am fixing to hard plumb my reefer 250 and had planned to use the red sea adapter going into the tank. My plan is to build a manifold with 2 or 3 controlled outputs and 1 output for the return unrestricted.

Unread 09/15/2016, 11:17 AM   #93
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelphrey View Post
Did you not like the flow out of the 1/2" adapter? I am fixing to hard plumb my reefer 250 and had planned to use the red sea adapter going into the tank. My plan is to build a manifold with 2 or 3 controlled outputs and 1 output for the return unrestricted.

I changed it to 3/4" to fit the plumbing coming out of the vectra. Is used 3/4" sch40 pvc. I wanted a hose connection to reefer and it was a lot easier to switch the reefer to 3/4. I suppose I could've gone with a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on my pic but that would've added to the height of the pluming

Unread 09/15/2016, 12:25 PM   #94
pelphrey
Registered Member

Ah, okay! My pump will be in today, once I verify the plumbing I should be ordering all of the pieces next week!

Unread 09/15/2016, 01:04 PM   #95
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelphrey View Post
Ah, okay! My pump will be in today, once I verify the plumbing I should be ordering all of the pieces next week!

Good luck! What pump did you get?

Unread 09/15/2016, 01:04 PM   #96
tenurepro
Registered Member

Ok, it's all hooked up. First I sealed it with aquarium backing to keep light in. Used a few elbow connections to route the phosban output up and into fuge. Then ran a hose from fuge to bubble trap.

It works but it is not silent! I sounds like running water (think water overflowing over felt sock filters). Will have to research ways to make it silent. But now I have space for pods!
My clamp light is too big so will have to find an alternative.

Unread 09/15/2016, 01:37 PM   #97
pelphrey
Registered Member

Reef Octopus VarioS-6. Was going to get the Vectra M1 but the VarioS was $65 cheaper and is controllable via the apex out of the box. There isn't a lot of information on these pumps, I'll find out soon if I made the right decision!

To resolve your fuge issue have you tried slowing down the input line into the fuge? That or adding more water to it?

Unread 09/16/2016, 08:33 PM   #98
tenurepro
Registered Member

Hope it works out for you. The noise issue was not actually caused by the fuge. It was just the silent down flow valve on the reefer that needed adjustment!

Unread 09/16/2016, 08:34 PM   #99
tenurepro
Registered Member

Replaced the stock return with lock line
Also seeded the fuge with a bottle of tigger pods.

Unread 09/16/2016, 08:49 PM   #100
pelphrey
Registered Member

How's he loc line working? I'm still a couple weeks out from adding water. Haven't even water tested the tank! Haha