Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/24/2008, 05:24 AM   #976
rkelman
Registered Member

I havent read through the thread to see what's happening with others but I'm not seeing any improvement after 3 weeks. I'm dosing 1000mg in the morning and at night in a 90g.

Unread 02/24/2008, 07:34 AM   #977
Jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rkelman
I havent read through the thread to see what's happening with others but I'm not seeing any improvement after 3 weeks. I'm dosing 1000mg in the morning and at night in a 90g.
What kind of improvement are you looking for? Its important to know the reason that you are dosing? Polyps not opening? Polyps slowly melting away? Just looking for better color/growth? Etc...
I would think that you could easily double your dose. What kind of Vitamin C are you using?

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 02/24/2008, 07:35 PM   #978
rkelman
Registered Member

I'm dosing because of the polyps slowly melting away on a colony that was previously a great grower. I'm using 500mg tablets. I'll up the dosage and see if that helps. Thanks.

Unread 02/24/2008, 07:41 PM   #979
rkelman
Registered Member

Oh Btw your sure 4000 mg a day is ok?

Unread 02/24/2008, 07:51 PM   #980
Pufferpunk
Moved On

You need to figure out what ppm that equals to & raise the dosage according to the chart:
For every 100 gallons

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

I used pure, buffered, sodium ascorbate (although magnesium or calcium ascorbate will do also), purchased from www.i-herb.com. 1/4tsp=1112mg

Unread 02/24/2008, 11:04 PM   #981
RoyalEnchntrss
Registered Member

I def. reccomend the powder for that Puffer is talking about. I switched from the pill to the powder and things seem to be doing a lot better than when I was using the pill!

Unread 02/25/2008, 09:26 AM   #982
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

Has anyone had issues with dosing VC and bubble tip anemones?

My RBTA has responded negatively. It has stayed about 50% or less inflated since the day after the first dose. My anemone as most will often close up for about a day at a time maybe once a month but never this long. However, the mouth is nice and tight and it still responds well to touch so I don't fear losing it in the near term.

I have continued the dosing despite this reaction for 3 continuous days at about 5 ppm. Probably not the best idea but my curiosity got the best of me so last night I bumped up the dose to about 10 ppm just to see what would happen.

If the anemone doesn't open up on its own by the time I get home tonight I'm going to discontinue the VC and run carbon. I'll likely try again in a couple weeks to see if there is any correlation.

St. Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists' (SLASH) Coral Donor Program (CDP)
Because, "Friends don't let friends pay $50 a polyp!"
Over 200 different corals and counting...

Current Tank Info: 352 Quintillion Gallon
Unread 02/25/2008, 12:02 PM   #983
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I have dosed as high as 17ppm (2tsp in a 100g system) without any negative issues with my RBTA. It had split 2x (after not splitting for 2 years) but I believe that was dus to the pH/alk issues I had from using the unbuffered C tabs, instead of the pure, buffered powder. I am still dosing 1/2 that, continuasly, w/o any issues to any of my corals--SPS, LPS, softies & amenone. The only weird thing is it is staying on the glass rather than the rockwork, where it was for 2 years.

Unread 02/25/2008, 08:50 PM   #984
Jmike
Registered Member

Hey Puffer I read through this thread for hours last night. So no one has lost their fish and/or corals from this? I have had my tank set up since Nov. I have not lost anything so far. So this is kinda scary for me. However, I did order some Zoa frags off of Ebay and some of them look really poor. So I want to try it.

Unread 02/25/2008, 10:02 PM   #985
Pufferpunk
Moved On

You're quite a champ for getting though this entire thread! Your question is answered right there though, in 40 pages not a single person has complained about losing anything.

Unread 02/25/2008, 10:06 PM   #986
Jmike
Registered Member

I done a google search that was "zoas vitamin c" and I the the only thing that came up had Puffer on it except for one and it was a guy saying everything in his tank died like overnight. I figured it was nothing to it though. Thanks I am going to give it a try. I have about 16 frags that I bought and glued them to larger rocks.

Unread 02/25/2008, 10:25 PM   #987
sellout007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rkelman
Use the chart to see how much you should be dosing. I dose about 2000mg twice a day on my 60g of water.

Unread 02/25/2008, 11:38 PM   #988
Jmike
Registered Member

Also using the pills to start off how often should I check the ph and alk? thanks

Unread 02/25/2008, 11:40 PM   #989
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Start with daily & then if you don't notice any change after a week of dosing, do 2x/week, until you can get the buffered C or are increasing the dose (then start daily again).

Unread 02/26/2008, 09:35 AM   #990
atzak
Registered Member

So I read about half the thread, My zo's look like crap from an ammonia spike that was completely my fault. I'm going to get some vitamin C today and I'll start tonight. I'll take some before pics. I also have a large soft coral that has what I think is a bacteria infection that has been slowly destroying it, maybe it will help the softy too

Current Tank Info: 210 reef, 55 gallon planted fresh water
Unread 02/26/2008, 09:39 AM   #991
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Be sure you find the dosing chart in the thread. I'm seeing a problem here where folks are only reading 1/2 the thread. A lot of info is missed. What we have found is not to use regular unbuffered tablets for very long or you will have pH/alk problems. You have no idea what those tablets are mixed with to make them into tablet form. The pure, buffered VC from www.i-herb.com is what most of us are using (sodium ascorbate). Also you should dose according to the chart listed in this thread,

Unread 02/26/2008, 09:41 AM   #992
Mort82
Registered Member

I found some pure Vitamin C crystals at my local health food store. Comes with a little scooper. They said this stuff has nothing but vitamins C and whatever makes up the crystals.

Unread 02/26/2008, 09:43 AM   #993
Pufferpunk
Moved On

What are the ingredients? It may not be buffered.

Unread 02/26/2008, 09:57 AM   #994
Mort82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
What are the ingredients? It may not be buffered.
I'd have to look when I get home, there are no ingredients but the crystaline vitamin C amino acid....

Unread 02/26/2008, 10:02 AM   #995
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

Just to update, the anemone still looked bad last night so I have stopped dosing VC and started running carbon. I'll let you know how it looks when I get home tonight.

For reference, here's how it looked before dosing:

Here is what it has looked like for the past 4 days while dosing VC:

By no means am I suggesting that VC is the cause. However, to my knowledge I have changed nothing else to my system or routine in the past 4 days other than dosing Calcium Ascorbate. I'm all about developing new methods in reefkeeping. However, as with trying anything new, we need to exercise caution and take things slow.

Unread 02/26/2008, 10:12 AM   #996
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Looks like an nem that is expelling it's water & will be fine in a little while. How long have you had this anemone? Mine does that every week. If you are using the VC correctly, it will not affect your nem.

Unread 02/26/2008, 11:07 AM   #997
Reeferhead
Recovering Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Looks like an nem that is expelling it's water & will be fine in a little while. How long have you had this anemone? Mine does that every week. If you are using the VC correctly, it will not affect your nem.
Yes, your right the anemone is expelling water, which would be normal if it was only for a day. It has been like this for 4 days straight, not fine.

I have had the anemone for about 6 months, it has never stayed closed for more than a day.

I admit that there is not enough evidence yet to suggest that the VC dosing caused this. However, I would also suggest that we don't have enough evidence to suggest that it didn't. You yourself stated that your nem split after dosing. Regardless if the split was do to the VC itself or the corresponding pH swing, splitting is often an anemone's response to stress. This VC method is still very new and like many "Reefer Techniques" there is no documented scientific research on its benefits and side effects.

Like I said in an earlier post, hopefully the anemone will recover and I'll try again. If the anemone responds in the same manner, then we're actually learning something. Likewise, if the anemone continues to decline on its own after discontinuing the VC or the nem maintains vigor thru the second round of dosing then we are also gaining a little more information. Not scientific but its something.

Regardless we need to exercise caution when make statements like the following:

Quote:
If you are using the VC correctly, it will not affect your nem.
We do not have enough information or research to make this claim.

Regards,

Last edited by Reeferhead; 02/26/2008 at 11:27 AM.
Unread 02/26/2008, 11:41 AM   #998
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeferhead

Regardless we need to exercise caution when make statements like the following:

We do not have enough information or research to make this claim.

Regards,

Absolutely agree.

Good luck with the nem. From what I can see........it still doesnt look to be in too rough of shape and staying shrunk for a few extra days than you are used to seeing, doesnt necessarily mean anything serious is wrong.

Unread 02/26/2008, 11:42 AM   #999
sellout007
Registered Member

I would like to see you stop using it actually. Wait to see if the anemone comes back to normal, then dose again to see if you can replicate the effects.

If you can, then VC definitely has some affect.

Unread 02/26/2008, 11:42 AM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1330742

Closed Thread