Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2008, 11:27 PM   #651
kingzeus
Registered Member

Shawn,
That basement looks like it is just asking for a nice looking room divider and a FOWLR would serve that purpose nicely.

I'd also like to add that I just found this thread today - and read the entire thing. I felt like I was reading a novel - I could not put my laptop down and now I must sleep .

FWIW, there are only two things I would have done differently. I would not have bought fish until the display tank was ready to accept them. Secondly, and this is given my own carpentry/handyman skills, I'd pay somebody with a lot more experience to build my stand. Again, that's given my own skillset. I'm a software developer. I don't work with my hands - I just over complicate everything with my mind.

I admire your demeanor throughout this thread. Others should strive to emulate you on these forums.

If anything ... get yourself a nice little nano and a Nemo ... yeah, I said Nemo.

Good luck,
Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
Thanks starpolyp, If I were to setup a tank against the long wall, there is a drain right on the other side next to the geothermal unit...

In this pic the drain is right on the other side...

If I setup a tank it will not be as elaborate of a setup as before, it will be alot more "basic". I will also be looking into a steel stand, or at least a centerblock one with I-beams... Also starting out it will only be a FOWLR and might add some softies and LPS... I would still have the 4x 250w MHs over it...

kingzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 05:51 PM   #652
erics3000
Registered Member

I see you lurking...Any updates??

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2008, 05:57 PM   #653
asnatlas
Registered Member

LOL, I have been lurking a little. Work is slowing down a little and I am on nite shift as well so I can get on RC for a little... I am looking for a buyer for the 600gal as I don't have the room for it and kinda tossing around the idea of a 4'x3'x2'high in wall maybe...

Unread 09/29/2008, 06:29 PM   #654
erics3000
Registered Member

I like the width of the 3 feet wide, I should have went with a 36 instead of a 30. i was afraid I didn't have enough room. It would have been worth it too lose 3 inchs in each room. I guess I will just have to wait until it gets crowded. hehhe

Good Luck with your new tank.

Unread 10/01/2008, 01:26 AM   #655
asnatlas
Registered Member

Man... I have been hanging out here on RC too much lately... I REALLY have an itch now... I am even thinking about rebuilding the 600gal that is still created in the garage...

We were thinking about adding a room at the far end (in the pic below)... Well we could still do that and it could become a "temp" fish room... We don't NEED a 5th bedroom, we were just looking at resale It could be a fish room until we are ready to move (which I hope is not for a good while)... Would be easy enough to start as a fish room and then put the finishing touches on it to make it into a usable bedroom...

ROFL I will have to speak with the wifey (boss)...

I can't believe this is even going through my mind right now... I just don't think I would be able to settle for anything smaller... I don't have the funds to go bigger and as it stand right now I would have to find the funds for another skimmer as I sold the BK400 shortly after I moved if I did stay with the 600gal Also would like a steel stand this time around...

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Unread 10/01/2008, 07:37 AM   #656
asnatlas
Registered Member

Up all nite...

Well I have been up all nite playing with Google SketchUp...

The basement has 9ft ceilings and I would like for the stand to be 42" high... If I did do 42" I would have to have it in two sections as I would not be able to get it in via the sliding door...

Here is what I came up with...

The bulk of the fishroom is roughly 120"x145"... Since my current 600gal has three panes of Starphire I wanted it to stick out into the room and not just be an in-wall. In the sketch I have it sticking out 36" with a 3.5" lip around the tank that would be tiled...

Unread 10/01/2008, 07:54 AM   #657
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Do it. I live in a 2B condo and turned my second bedroom into a fishroom/guestroom (sleeper sofas are great), so whats a 5th bedroom?

Also, in sketchup, you can actually export to a .jpg and it will look cleaner than doing a screen capture. Just go to File>Export>2D Graphic, and select .jpg as the file format.

Unread 10/01/2008, 07:59 AM   #658
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
Do it. I live in a 2B condo and turned my second bedroom into a fishroom/guestroom (sleeper sofas are great), so whats a 5th bedroom?

Also, in sketchup, you can actually export to a .jpg and it will look cleaner than doing a screen capture. Just go to File>Export>2D Graphic, and select .jpg as the file format.
LOL thanks I figured there was, but I am running on like 3 hrs of sleep in the past 48 hrs I got lazy LOL...

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:01 AM   #659
asnatlas
Registered Member

Fixed, thanks mcliffy2...

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:01 AM   #660
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Also, the plan looks great, but have you thought about doing it open top? The convenience is great, it helps with ventilation, helps with cooling the tank, and IMO it looks nice. If your stand + tank is 72", no one under 6'6" would be able to see into fish room, so the rooms would still feel seperate.

One other thought...and I'm going against my own rule that I hate when people always suggest whats worked for them, but the room setup looks perfect to wrap your tank in a bar. I have found the granite bar to be awesome from a functional standpoint. I don't have to worry about water spill, I can pull corals out and do the fragging right there, and best its a great platform for working on the tank, I just hop on up and have a birds eye view.

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:02 AM   #661
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
LOL thanks I figured there was, but I am running on like 3 hrs of sleep in the past 48 hrs I got lazy LOL...
hah...and I thought I was OCD about this hobby

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:17 AM   #662
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
Also, the plan looks great, but have you thought about doing it open top? The convenience is great, it helps with ventilation, helps with cooling the tank, and IMO it looks nice. If your stand + tank is 72", no one under 6'6" would be able to see into fish room, so the rooms would still feel seperate.

One other thought...and I'm going against my own rule that I hate when people always suggest whats worked for them, but the room setup looks perfect to wrap your tank in a bar. I have found the granite bar to be awesome from a functional standpoint. I don't have to worry about water spill, I can pull corals out and do the fragging right there, and best its a great platform for working on the tank, I just hop on up and have a birds eye view.
The top will be open to the fishroom. At the old house I had it against a wall with all the equipment behind a wall and there was to much humidity... Even with a vent fan in the fish room... Granted I didn't get 100% finished with that project before other things came up like the split and relocating for work... I told myself that the next time I did a large system it would totally closed off and vented outside... Also I want to hide the lighting as it will not be anything fancy. Just some L3s and T5s on a custom light rake that I will have on a rail system...

I was thinking about placing a larger "lip/bar" around the tank but I only have a 26.5" space from the glass to the outside wall. It just seems like it would be a bit cramped... I am thinking about having a catwalk on the back to make access to the tank much easier...

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:55 AM   #663
jnarowe
Registered Member

sounds very good Shawn.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 01:14 PM   #664
melev
Moved On

Now that you have this figured out, I can't think of any other reason not to do it. -time

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 07:42 PM   #665
erics3000
Registered Member

Sweet glad your back. I loved your thread when I was first told about RC. I am in love with the tank sticking out 36 SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT.. What an addiction....HAhahah

Unread 10/07/2008, 07:07 AM   #666
asnatlas
Registered Member

LOL Marc...

Thanks erics3000, Your tank is coming out nice

Does anyone see any problems with the design ?? Any tips or suggestions?? I would like to have a sink. and I might be able to in / around the "closet" area... No floor drain I plan on using green board and installing an exhaust fan... I am sure I am missing a few things...

Right now I have other things on my mind as my wife and I are going on Vacation to Vallarta Palace... So when we get back middle of next wk then I will talk to the boss and sit down for some more planning

Unread 10/07/2008, 12:15 PM   #667
melev
Moved On

That looks like a beautiful vacation. Have fun.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2008, 02:07 PM   #668
PreacherMan607
Registered Member

Shawn,
I hope that you get to get started soon on this dream tank! And what a vacation spot!!!!

Tim

If you do not forgive others...you will not be forgiven! Jesus Christ

Current Tank Info: 180 Reef Tank, (2) 250w Metal Halide,Custom sump and Skimmer. Approxomately 230 gallons total water volume.
PreacherMan607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2008, 11:28 AM   #669
Bricky
Registered Member

Definitely do the utility sink if you can. I use mine just about every day.

I would also make the tank accessible from the front. With a big tank like the 600 (Bigger is better) you'll need as much access as possible.

As for humidity in the room, you could put a fan on a timer (mine is on my AC3Pro). You can then adjust as necessary to keep things fresh in the room. You'll need to keep the window cracked to have a fresh air source though.

The catwalk idea is nice, but it would have to be fairly wide to actually be useful.

That second window is actually nice, especially if you can get some natural sunlight on the tank.

I also like the idea on the bar rail around the tank. I did the same and it's the best thing I did with my build. I use it every day for feeding to fragging corals. You could possibly incorporate the rail into your stand or attach at a later point.

Good luck on what can be an amazing build.

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2008, 11:33 AM   #670
asnatlas
Registered Member

VAC was awesome, but way too short Back to work now and it's been pretty busy. This week and next are not looking any better I almost hate going on vac and coming back, so much catch up and with it being 4th quarter that does not help any...

I have spoken to my wife about the "plan" above and all she has really said was it looks like a big project and there are some things that need done first, like cleaning out the garage So I will have to try to tackle that soon and talk to her some more

Unread 10/23/2008, 11:52 AM   #671
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricky
Definitely do the utility sink if you can. I use mine just about every day.

I would also make the tank accessible from the front. With a big tank like the 600 (Bigger is better) you'll need as much access as possible.

As for humidity in the room, you could put a fan on a timer (mine is on my AC3Pro). You can then adjust as necessary to keep things fresh in the room. You'll need to keep the window cracked to have a fresh air source though.

The catwalk idea is nice, but it would have to be fairly wide to actually be useful.

That second window is actually nice, especially if you can get some natural sunlight on the tank.

I also like the idea on the bar rail around the tank. I did the same and it's the best thing I did with my build. I use it every day for feeding to fragging corals. You could possibly incorporate the rail into your stand or attach at a later point.

Good luck on what can be an amazing build.
Bricky, thanks for stopping over

I think I might be able to install a sink. I will have to look into that more...

I was thinking about access and was not sure if I wanted to have doors on the font and sides or have something that could support me from above... I think doors would be much easier

For humidity I planned on using a fan on a controller that would exhaust outside...

The windows do not get much direct light as the deck is in the way...

I would like to have like a 6" lip around the tank that would be tiled or some other type of stone...

Unread 10/23/2008, 12:05 PM   #672
Bricky
Registered Member

The lip around my tank is 4" and I think 6" would be best.

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 07:51 AM   #673
hansmatt
Registered Member

Shawn...
Tagging along, not only for the amazing build, but also for the fact that you are from Waukee, where I grew up and my parents still live. Imagine my surprise to see a 600g tank in my "town" with a high school class of 78 kids (in 1989 that is). Might have to stop by when we visit my family.
Matt

hansmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2009, 08:44 PM   #674
erics3000
Registered Member

Hey did you finally clean out the garage??