Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

28 Gallon JBJ Nano

I am getting back into the hobby and trying to start small (I tend to get carried away). My goal is to have a low maintenance, soft reef w a couple fish. So far I have dusted off my old nano and bought some equipment.
Equipment:
I ordered a new PC bulb and temperature probe for my reef keeper light to start. I then did some research on a skimmer and went with the Tunze 9001. I replaced the "stock" returns with maxi jet 1200s and unfortunately they are louder than the ones I originally had! :crazy: I replaced them primarily for noise. I then ordered an ATO (autotopoff.com) so that I can have them both on and have running water drown out the noise of the pumps running as opposed to hearing them turn on over and over.
Livestock:
Went with dead rock to avoid pests (going to dip everything this time). Primarily Tonga branches from BRS. I even did some drilling and added some acrylic rods. Going bare bottom. I got 3 zoa frags from AquaSD...I just couldn't help myself. Threw 2 tank bred Ocellaris' in along w a small clean up crew. They are all fine so far (day 4).
Cycling:
I am adding MicroBacter7 everyday to help with beneficial bacteria.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
It's good to be back

Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

Water is clearing up and algae is growing, seems to be cycling nicely. I am planning on what fish to put in. I am thinking about going with a pink streaked wrasse (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...08&pcatid=2908 ) and a Tailspot Blenny in addition to the pair of ocellaris of course.
I originally wanted a lawnmower (love that fish) but I think the moderate aquascape I went with and the nano overall is a bit small for it long term. I was then thinking about a Six Line Wrasse but again, the moderate aquascape and they are known to be jerks.

Unread 11/03/2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

So, I ordered the Tunze 9001 but it barely fits back there and you have to take off the collection cup (which does not come out easily) before each time you want to raise the hood. I also had more bubbles than I wanted. My ATO reservoir (5 gallon bucket) also did not fit in the stock stand so I decided to make a new one. I am a big fan of 42" stands so I made one.

As you can see it dwarfs the stock stand and leaves enough room for 2 levels, one for my ATO reservoir (5 gallon bucket) and one for a sump (10 gallons). I hope to make baffles for a 3 chamber sump tomorrow.

This should give me plenty of room to run the skimmer, have a fugue, and run the dual returns with no bubbles to deliver to the display.
I plan to drill the bottom of each of the 4 compartments (aside from the media basket compartment) for 1/2" bulkheads. I plan to do stockman pipes on the outside compartments and soft plumbed return through the second or inside compartments.

Unread 11/03/2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

I re-did the stand to provide more depth front to back for the drilling on the bottom not to hit the 2 x 3's and keep the structural integrity.

Just enough space to re-fill the ATO and have some room for a skimmer, LED for fuge, etc...

Unread 11/12/2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

Finally got the sump built...I am hoping to drill the bottom soon to finally have a skimmer, fuge, and ATO. I know I can do it without a sump but I doubt I can have:
1. 13" x 9 5/8" x 8" tall refugium
2. Skimmer I can easily keep dialed in and clean. No bubbles, less noise, and no need to remove the collection cup to lift the hood.
3. All the room for usual maintenance.
Getting closer and closer...
Any suggestions???

Unread 11/26/2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

Had it up and running, then realized I used the wrong silicone. Thankfully, it came off easily, re-did it, and back in business. I still have one big problem. I don't have enough overflow for my returns. I have one 3/4" overflow and two 1/2" returns. I had replaced the stock returns with maxi jet 1200s but that was way too much. I would like to be able to have the option of one or both on. I suppose I could just "Y" one return and the return would match the overflow, but the way it is, it is just dribbling down, I'd like to have more. I could remove the 3/4" 90 degree elbow but that would involve some sawing of PVC which isn't the end of the world but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. Any suggestions?

It is nice to finally have a skimmer, it pulled out a lot in a matter of an hour

Unread 11/27/2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Bruce Wayne
Registered Member

Went with one return, less return instead of more overflow.

Unread 12/24/2014, 08:06 PM   #8
nicoli627
Registered Member

Nice start

nicoli627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2014, 09:42 PM   #9
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Great ideas.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote