Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2014, 11:18 AM   #201
scottsdale454ss
Registered Member

Someone less lazy than me should make an updated list!!! im sure there are tons more new places now. Much easier than scrolling through the whole thread

scottsdale454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2014, 04:55 PM   #202
scottsdale454ss
Registered Member

I stopped into Beyond the Reef today, that place is amazing!!! I had no money and was just looking but they had a ton of coral and fish. Every tank was super clean and healthy. Very nice, easily rivals reefwise and aqua pros. And they didnt pester me at all which was fantastic.

There are more tanks i didnt take pictures of.

Also stopped into Advanced aquatics. What a dump. 95% of the coral were bleached out and dying. The tanks were FULL of cyano and green hair and bubble algae. No idea how he's still in business. I asked for a frag of one thing he had in excess and he wanted $20 to break off a tiny piece. Not a good way to gain a new customer. just my 2 cents. And yes the owner did strike me as a little odd as well.

scottsdale454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2014, 11:24 AM   #203
tassod
Registered Member

Seven Seas Aquatic life in Mt Prospect is an awesome place IMO. Nobody beats their prices and Fabio is a great guy and very honest and will not story tell you a bunch of crap just to make a sale. I've picked up a few fish from him and so far have not had any problems.

Tasso
tassod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 04:24 PM   #204
DanzReef
Registered Member

Anyone have any POSITIVE reviews about Aquatic Visions of Naperville? I for one am not at all impressed with this place... Was excited to have a LFS so close to me and of course from OLD reviews and my experience it happens to be the worst... You basically have to hound down the guy for help and even after you get lucky enough the help is very vague, its closed during OPEN hours, never answer the phone blah blah it goes on but hate to be negative, end rant......

DanzReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 10:45 PM   #205
e55driver
Registered Member

I only go if I have an emergency and need dry goods that can't. Would never buy livestock there.

e55driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2015, 08:35 PM   #206
Jersey1992
Registered Member

Naperville, IL and surrounding area stores

I'm new to the area and just getting back into the hobby. I've set up and maintained a 75g with a ProFlex 3 sump, Caribbean reef tank for a college about 5 years ago and stopped maintaining it about 2 years ago. Just started a 29g bio cube.stopped into the following stores over the last few weeks, and this is what I've found at each.

Aquatic Visions (2695 Forgue Dr, Naperville. 630-961-3474)
Decent looking fish, very little aiptasia, has some old school ideas but isn't a bad guy if you ask questions. Very straightforward and a little off putting if you go in expecting to be greeted. He seems to be the sole owner and takes care of all the tanks, so he's usually working on multiple things at once. Nice guy if you have questions and truly want to chat about the hobby and aren't just looking for lowest cost/ best deal. He does have a lot of food options, filter media, and additives from many brands for sale on the top of his tanks, so there are somewhat hard to reach, but it's a small store. Impressive array of products for the amount of space. Willing to special order.

Reef Plus (935 Oak St. North Aurora, 630-906-7333)
Went in talking about the previous tank I had set up and the products I had used in it, trying to find out if it was an okay idea to go that route or if a Biocube would fit our budget more. The owner asked my budget, I told him (not an unreasonable number) and he kind of rolled his eyes and grinned, stared at the floor and said there was not way to do it. I asked a few more questions and wanted to know the price on a few things they had in stock (nothing was labelled) and he balked at me and told me that if I knew so much from setting up the previous tank, I should already know what I wanted, and went into the back to fill up a tub he was using for a water change, leaving me looking at the supplies and livestock they had available. The livestock looked pretty healthy, the tanks he had used to set up his system were all essentially clean, and the coral trough up front was decent, he just didn't have very much variety when I was there. He said they had a new shipment heading in the next week, so that should improve. No prices on anything. The assistant had no answers to my questions and couldn't even tell me what filters (canister, refugium, or sump system) they were using on their tanks in the store, although he assured me he had been in the business a while and had his own tank. Owner came back up, I asked if he could put a quote together for me for a Biocube vs the other tank I had questioned him about and he said he would email it to me the next day. No word or call since then. They are a distributor for Echotech Marine and have a lot of LED fixtures.

Reefwise (5401 Patton Dr #105, Lisle, 630-853-5564)
Impressively designed store. Fair pricing, knowledgable staff, impressive selection of livestock. Very little supplies other than salt. Huge tanks that the corals are displayed in. Many mother colonies present that they drag from. Ship pretty much anywhere. Definitely a place to stop in and see. No tanks for sale so just a place for livestock.

Aquarium Adventure/Petland (744 E Boughton Rd., Bolingbrook, 630-739-1128)
Lots of accessories, tanks, stands, filters, media, food, additives. Minimal livestock options of low quality/bad health. Have decent sales on lighting and tNks every few months from the looks of their Facebook. Probably wouldn't get livestock there but a decent place to get hardware.

Jersey1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 10:03 PM   #207
AquaVim
.Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdale454ss View Post
I stopped into Beyond the Reef today, that place is amazing!!! I had no money and was just looking but they had a ton of coral and fish. Every tank was super clean and healthy. Very nice, easily rivals reefwise and aqua pros. And they didnt pester me at all which was fantastic.

There are more tanks i didnt take pictures of.

Also stopped into Advanced aquatics. What a dump. 95% of the coral were bleached out and dying. The tanks were FULL of cyano and green hair and bubble algae. No idea how he's still in business. I asked for a frag of one thing he had in excess and he wanted $20 to break off a tiny piece. Not a good way to gain a new customer. just my 2 cents. And yes the owner did strike me as a little odd as well.
Wow, what an impressive front display. First time seeing such a nice picture of it. As expected from our exclusive Chicagoland dealer. Good to see they are really on top of their game.

AquaVim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2015, 05:25 PM   #208
danielp
Registered Member

On saturday I went to "Tank it Easy" on 3700 Ashland in Chicago, I was really really impressed. They stock is getting definitely better, they will have their quarantine system up soon, outstanding clams. And of course it is always a pleasure to talk to Eddie who used to be store manager at Old Town Aquarium. I will definitely go back, their prices are better than OTA, hopefully it will continue.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 12:28 PM   #209
ChrisL1976
Registered Member

Chicagoland Aquariums Grand Opening is this weekend down in Bradley Illinois. New Store looks Great!!!

ChrisL1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2015, 11:56 PM   #210
mbemount
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL1976 View Post
Chicagoland Aquariums Grand Opening is this weekend down in Bradley Illinois. New Store looks Great!!!
I was in there this weekend and I was really impressed. It's not a huge store but he's got a good variety and it's extremely well kept. He's got some of the best prices I've found in the area. I'll definitely be going there often.

Unread 06/23/2015, 02:39 PM   #211
danielp
Registered Member

I have been in many many stores all over Illinois, and I have a tip for some of the owners (and their employees too), SMILE a bit more and be nice and more responsive to questions and requests.
When I see a mad face I won't even approach particular person. I need to ask a question(s) before I purchase a fish for a 100 or 150 bucks. Sometimes I need something that you do not have in your store, but if I cannot even get an answer or its an answer with the attitude I won't come back and I will find another store that will help me.
It is crazy when I think how many times I met rude people in this business in the last few years.
I do not think its unreasonable request to ask how much particular fish or coral costs when there is no sticker. Or ask about the opinion about the minimum tank size for fish X or Y.
Bad customer service do not help them, thats for sure.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
Unread 08/17/2015, 04:49 PM   #212
danielp
Registered Member

Saturday and sunday I had a pleasure of being in Beyond the Reef, very positively surprised. The last time I was there it was like 6 years ago or so, but this time it was really nice experience. Clean, guys were nice, bought some frags, they have quite a nice selection of zoas, acans, some favias, I saw sps frag tank that I did not care to check.
I will return for sure.
Saw really nice prism favia.

Unread 08/23/2015, 01:07 PM   #213
danielp
Registered Member

Living Sea Aquarium is closing. I was there today, almost nothing is left. Some food, live rock, books, some other stuff, no fish or corals left. Thats the second reef store that got me really into hobby, over 10 years ago, kinda sad

Unread 09/07/2015, 11:27 PM   #214
Jazzii9j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
Saturday and sunday I had a pleasure of being in Beyond the Reef, very positively surprised. The last time I was there it was like 6 years ago or so, but this time it was really nice experience. Clean, guys were nice, bought some frags, they have quite a nice selection of zoas, acans, some favias, I saw sps frag tank that I did not care to check.
I will return for sure.
Saw really nice prism favia.
That's my LFS :-) they are amazing! We have bought almost everything from them. They are even great to my 4 year old son.

Jazzii9j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2015, 08:54 AM   #215
danielp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii9j View Post
That's my LFS :-) they are amazing! We have bought almost everything from them. They are even great to my 4 year old son.
You are right its is a great store, I will be definitely back.
I will try to bring my 16 months twin boys, that may not end up well though

They do what they want Great help in the future though

Unread 09/09/2015, 08:56 AM   #216
Jazzii9j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
You are right its is a great store, I will be definitely back.
I will try to bring my 16 months twin boys, that may not end up well though

They do what they want Great help in the future though
They are too cute! Get them started young with the hobby :-) they're great with kids there.

Jazzii9j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2015, 10:22 AM   #217
theMatrix
Registered Member.

Not really in the city but
Sea escapes has a nice set up.

Ask and they can bring it in the shop for you

theMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 02:23 AM   #218
jsanchez
Registered Member

I'm located in Lake in the hills and the only lfs's I go to are beyond the Reef, aquapros, and old Orchard aquarium. Those are the 3 best fish stores around if you ask me.

jsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 07:20 PM   #219
NaturalReef
Registered Member

Took my son to aqua pros on Monday.....it was a really pleasant experience. The owner was very easy to talk to, wasn't pushy at all and had the best prices I have seen in a long time. Plenty of coral with cheap frags.....I will def. be going back soon to stock my tank.

NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2015, 01:08 PM   #220
danielp
Registered Member

I had a chance to visit new store (kinda new-9 months old), Reef Geeks of Chicago in Northbrook. Luis an owner what a great guy to talk to, very nice deals on zoas and lps, business still growing so he will have more corals and fish. Highly recommended, I will be back for sure.
Actually some business owners should take a lesson how to treat customers, from him or the owner of the Seven Seas Aquatic Life in Mount Prospect (I do not remember his name-Fabio?). Another great store with very friendly prices:
Flame Angel-$48
Bicolor Angel-$22 (small)
Too many to remember, I will be back.
Its a pleasure to come to the store where people smile, patiently answer questions and are ready to help and order whatever I need.
I had a "funny" experience in one of the stores in south west suburbs, when my wife asked how much will particular frag cost when finally will be ready to be sold, the owners response was "its gonna be pricy". What he was trying to input? That I cannot afford it? Or that I am too poor which is kinda the same Especially that I bought there few times already. Well apparently he does not need my money, I will gladly spend it in any of the new stores I mentioned before, or in Aquapros with Dave. Simple as that.

Unread 10/26/2015, 01:22 PM   #221
Dugless
Registered Member

I think maybe you are reading into "It's gonna be pricy" a bit too much. More than likely he didn't have a set price in mind. Limited availability coral pricing really depends on supply and demand, and timing is just as important for pricing.

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2015, 01:42 PM   #222
danielp
Registered Member

Well with his attitude I doubt he meant something else, would it not be simpler to just say he did not know yet if he really did not know?
Which btw I do not believe he did not know since he was selling that coral before.

Unread 11/02/2015, 07:10 PM   #223
danielp
Registered Member

On saturday, in that horrible weather I stopped by Tank it Easy, that store is really nice, greatly improved. Great selection of zoas-impressive, lps-acans especially. I was able to take some photos (with Eddie's permission), decent amount of fish, from tangs through some triggerfish, gobbys, blennies. I parked right in front of the store, on Ashland, no hassle, no problems.
Please forgive me the quality of my cell phone pics, too blueish but enough to have an idea about the store set up, their 2 large frag tanks with 2xRadions 3s over it are great set ups.
Fish and inverts:

120g show tank in the back, some really impressive lps and zoas there:

A lot of zoas in one of the frag tanks:

Acans and a some other great looking lps:

I was trying to make a close up look of some of the acans, trust me really worth checking out (possibly buying?), my tank is just full right now, other wise I would have buy some of them:

More fish:

Thats basically it, I recommend the store, worth checking out, whoever is into frags wont be disappointed, whoever is into bigger pieces also will leave happy.

Unread 12/19/2015, 03:40 PM   #224
Bharper62
Registered Member

Thanks Crooks

Bharper62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 12:25 AM   #225
danielp
Registered Member

12,20am at night owner of Seven Seas Aquatic answering my question on facebook, wow!!!
Not that it was very important, just saw him posted something about what he just has in stock (yeah midnight update) but still very impressive.