Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2008, 01:49 PM   #26
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Also this group did testing on some popular salts........here are the results below

http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/...lysis_0208.pdf

The 65 is gone the 110 is in, click the red house for the 110. *Updated

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
newreefbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 01:25 PM   #27
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Its been so long since I have posted, the tank has been through some ups and downs, I scrapped the sulfer reactor added a 10 gallone refugium, and did a bunch of other work.....I will be posting pics tonight.....and posting on a daily basis

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
Unread 06/18/2008, 01:36 PM   #28
BigJPDC
Registered Member

i've heard that before. =) good move on the sulfur reactor - that seems like bunk to me.

Current Tank Info: 65 RR AGA
BigJPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 02:26 PM   #29
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Look what the cat brought in.......Thats a promis......how is the family....and oh yeah how is the tank?

Unread 06/18/2008, 02:49 PM   #30
BigJPDC
Registered Member

doing very well man, thanks! The boy is a lot of fun to be around and teaches me stuff every day, as you know from your daughter.

The tank is humming away, pretty full and easy to maintain except for high temps (82).

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:16 AM   #31
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Better late than never eh? Anyway here are some pics....

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:19 AM   #32
newreefbishop
Premium Member

I know it seems alot more sparse than the 65, but just like the 65 I have been working out some kinks, which I think are behind me....I am working on stocking now......

AND INTRODUCING MY PET PROJECT

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:21 AM   #33
newreefbishop
Premium Member

It gets hot in Florida.....too hot....Got a chiller and "overclocked" it

Garage setup..... guts are bhind a wall keeing the rest of the house quiet

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:25 AM   #34
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Remember that huge anemone....well I like I said I have been trying some things on the tank.....and she got really really ****ed....

she is gaining color fast now....and is starting to also gain size

Last pic......

Let me know what you think folks.....am I making progress...lol

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:29 AM   #35
BigJPDC
Registered Member

Dude love it! Man you need a better camera and 100 more pounds of rock from that place you hooked me up with.
You have a macro tank or is that the super refuge? What kind of bulb are you using?

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:38 AM   #36
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Thats a super fuge.......I plan on getting probably 75 mores pounds of rock....to cover the over flow but wanted everything to finally stabalize....The camera is actually a great one....was tinkering with the settings...and DLSR has too many options...lol

In the Fuge I have 7 types of macro....4 types of snails, peppermint shrimps, bristle worms, some other worms that I cant name (not fire). I am also breeding plankton in it I ordered from Hawaii....came really cheap too http://www.ipsf.com/tangheaven.html

The bulb is a 65 watt daylight buld and a 15 watt grow bulb.....

In the tank I am still running two 175 watt hallides and 2 96 watt power compacts.....For awhile I was only running two 175's but I was running 14k's got great color but not enough light and lost alot of coral before I isolated it....now Im back on the 10k spectrum and things are taking off.....within the next two months tank should be fully stocked....

Unread 06/24/2008, 07:45 AM   #37
newreefbishop
Premium Member

see it takes great pictures when I dont have her running around trying to look at what im doing.....Oh and get this her second word was FISH!!!!! lol

Unread 06/24/2008, 08:08 AM   #38
BigJPDC
Registered Member

she's so beautiful that even her dad can't take a bad picture of her! =)

Unread 06/24/2008, 08:10 AM   #39
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Thanks man....it should be noted babies and flowers dont really go hand in hand....she ended up trying to eat it....LOL

Unread 06/25/2008, 12:56 PM   #40
kudora
thread reader

looks great, thanks for the giant pic update, will be taggin along

kudora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2008, 12:58 PM   #41
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Thanks......Ill be updating on a daily basis going forward......

Unread 06/25/2008, 03:37 PM   #42
BigJPDC
Registered Member

is that today's update?

Unread 06/26/2008, 06:58 AM   #43
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Well the updates are going to be one day behind....lol

Unread 06/26/2008, 07:25 AM   #44
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Now, here is todays update.....

Yesterday I changed the lighting over the fuge, to something proper, I kept having dreams of that desk lamp falling into the water when Im not home....I also changed my timer to 18 hours on and 6 hours off instead of 24 hours to give macro a dark period and all the "wildlife" a chance to do what they do in the dark

and this is what happens when the lights go out

Unread 06/26/2008, 07:29 AM   #45
newreefbishop
Premium Member

JP please notice it took the time to actually take some decent pics......

skimmer in action..... this is 2 days of skimmate

still working out the bugs on the tank shots....its been awhile

I am working out some other things in my head......scary....Ill tell you about them later today.....let me know what you guys think....

Unread 06/26/2008, 11:11 AM   #46
dp122098
Registered Member

What's with the little tank? Where do you have that one?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Tank, 75 Gallon Sump, SeasideAquatics ES2 Skimmer, 8xT5 Sun System Tek Fixture, Dolphin Reflo Return, 2xMP40w
dp122098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2008, 12:58 PM   #47
BigJPDC
Registered Member

Wow, what a difference - awesome pics NRB. Look at Uncle DP.

Hey, I see the overflow out of the superfuge, how is the rest plumbed? Is that in the garage? That's totally the way to go but I don't know how I would plumb a remote fuge; I just have chaeto in an eggcrate box in my sump, and I do 12/12 for light period.

How do you like the chiller? I just hung a fan on my sump and dropped the temp down from 81 to 78.

jp

Unread 06/26/2008, 09:05 PM   #48
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dp122098
What's with the little tank? Where do you have that one?

Bro, I wish you could turn that laundry room into a partial tank room or dedicate part of the garage and plum it into the living room. The little tank is a "superfuge". I use the term super simply because most fuges only have one type of macro and is worked into the sump....I took a small breeder and got an external overflow, one bag of sand.....and ordered various types of macro from Hawaii, including some plankton, worms, copepods, and 4 types of snails....I also caught the peppermints that somehow made it into my sump and put them in there. The small tank is untop of the main sump.....which is solely a sump now....I plumped the overflow directly into the return section bypassing the skimmer...

Oddly enough I didnt think anything from the plankton bag would make it.....but now I am seeing little critters that look like the early stages of shrimp, or some other crustacean.....it should be interesting to watch.....and snails already are breeding.... That small tank you have in the playroom would be perfect for something like this....

Unread 06/26/2008, 09:21 PM   #49
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJPDC
Wow, what a difference - awesome pics NRB. Look at Uncle DP.

Hey, I see the overflow out of the superfuge, how is the rest plumbed? Is that in the garage? That's totally the way to go but I don't know how I would plumb a remote fuge; I just have chaeto in an eggcrate box in my sump, and I do 12/12 for light period.

How do you like the chiller? I just hung a fan on my sump and dropped the temp down from 81 to 78.

jp

Yeah DP is still around.....wish he would invest some time into his thread as well....lol but I guess we all have families....and wives who although are very tolerant....well you all catch the drift...lol

Anyway I have the fuge above my sump, with a pump in the sump pushing water up into the fuge....overflow runs into section with the return pump....bypassing skimmer action and giving the most benefit to the tank...

You have you sump directly under your tank? Or is it in your basement? If its in your basement then it will be easy to do something like my setup...For me the chiller became essential, I tried fans and couldnt get me temps down significantly, and I didnt want humming in the house. Because all the equipment is in the garage, there is very little noise....which fans would add. And last reason is well I live in Florida and for the same fact that my equipment is in the garage, and during the day temps probably hit 90 degrees + in there. I think before we moved into this house when everything was in the living room I didnt worry about it but now its almost a requirement.

Do me a favor and post a pic on my thread of your tanks "guts" maybe we can figure out an easy fix....

Unread 07/01/2008, 09:21 PM   #50
FUA
Registered Member

new tank looks great

FUA is offline   Reply With Quote