Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2008, 03:45 PM   #1
AquamanE
Registered Member

Tips on upgrading to bigger tamk.

So Im going form a 65G to a 120G. The 120 is sitting in my garage as i wait for the skimmer, and do a little electrical work in the area where tank is going. Plumbing almost done.

The tank will be going to the exact place the 65 is at right now. Live stock will be the same, I should have enough LR since I have like 90 lbs now., ill prob add more later.

Ive read on RC peolple do daily water changes on old tank and keep water for new one to decrease stress, or all new water. and acclimate.

Should I just tear old one and keep things in rubbermaids for a few days while i set the other one up?

Does it all have to be done in one day? Would any of you dare move the 65 if ~80% of water is drained to move it a few feet, giving me more time to move?

Need suggestions please from those that have done this before, I should be ready in 1-2 weeks to do this.

BTW- Curent tank has LPS, SPS, and softies.

thanks, Eddie

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2008, 04:03 PM   #2
macronut
Registered Member

I would keep most of your water for the new tank. 1/2 to 3/4's

I've moved my 90 gal in one day. It is an all day labor intensive job, especially if you have NO help. Have plenty of towls, containers, bags etc. Extra RO/DI salt water ready and temp same as old system.

I feel moving it in one day will be less stressful for livestock etc., but some people have moved everything to holding tubs for days with no problems. Moving it twice seems more stressful.

I don't recommend moving a tank with water in it as you are suggesting. There is always the chance you could crack it then you are out of the tank.

macronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2008, 04:47 PM   #3
ride4life
Registered Member

I would just tear down the old one completely, move it out of the way and set up the new one. I move tanks all the time and never have a problem. Plus since you are only moving it a few feet then setting up the new one its gonna be easy. Just make sure you have everything and I mean everything you need for the new tank. Hose clamps, tubing, powerstrips, etc. The real killer when moving tanks is when you need to stop in the middle of everything to get a few hose clamps or a powerstrip...

ride4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2008, 06:06 PM   #4
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ride4life
I would just tear down the old one completely, move it out of the way and set up the new one. I move tanks all the time and never have a problem. Plus since you are only moving it a few feet then setting up the new one its gonna be easy. Just make sure you have everything and I mean everything you need for the new tank. Hose clamps, tubing, powerstrips, etc. The real killer when moving tanks is when you need to stop in the middle of everything to get a few hose clamps or a powerstrip...
New Tank is up and running in garage with tap water to test everything for 2 days.

Ive already been working on new tank, re plumbing, rewiring lights, cosmetic changes to new (used) stand to keep girlfriend happy etc... for 3 weeks!!

Electrical work i am doing is only to make sure all is not on one line in house system, in otherwords, feed electricity from more than one breaker to ease the load.

No re-cycling right??

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2008, 05:42 AM   #5
murph3699
Registered Member

I'm about to go through the same thing myself. I currently have a sumpless 29G that will be swapped out for a 90G with a 40G sump. I have 35 lbs of LR in the 29G now with another 40-50 lbs of cured LR in a bin with a heater and powerhead to stay ready for the move. As soon as the sand arrives, I'll begin the process.

I'm suprised at the idea of moving some of the water from the old tank to the new tank. I guess I'll give it a try.

murph3699 is offline   Reply With Quote