Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 10/08/2008, 07:29 PM   #326
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Bendiksen
So far so good Tswifty!! Although, not a big fan of the bud.

So when is the big day of filling it up? Or are you still waiting till March (We both know you wont wait that long)

Btw- is anybody else getting emails saying there are new posts when in reality no one has posted
No, but my CP tells me that I'm not subscribed to any threads anymore, and i keep getting timeout errors for posting replies, and then I also keep getting "reefcentral does not allow quick searching" even when I've only tried to open TJ's two threads, and I've opened them 30 seconds after eachother.

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

(CH) - Clubhouse Represent!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 10/08/2008, 07:32 PM   #327
Tswifty
Registered Member

Finished up the frag tank/pump stand tonight:

A view underneath the stand where the return pump will sit:

Unread 10/08/2008, 07:59 PM   #328
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Padrino
What about using a vinyl sticker? they are cheap. I think that is what i am gong to do. Go to any place that makes custom signs. They will be able to show you all the different colours and it might only cost you 10-15 dollars for enough to wrap your tank on 2-3 sides. I know a great small place in concord ontario but in teh states ... not sure

are you talking about the back of the tank, or the stand frame?

I believe kudora was asking about the frame, because the canopy frame on my 90 tank began to peel and crack pretty badly, so I doubt I'll paint it this time around.

The vinyl sticker sounds like an interesting idea for the tank though. I was just planning on painting the back of the tank black.

Unread 10/08/2008, 08:01 PM   #329
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taqpol
Are you going to top off with something special, or will the RO/DI also be your top off reservoir? Also how big are those brute cans? I always forget...

Sounds like it should work great, and no getting your hand wet!
The RO/DI reservoir will also serve as my top off.

The Brute cans are 44 gallons each.

Unread 10/08/2008, 08:04 PM   #330
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Bendiksen
So far so good Tswifty!! Although, not a big fan of the bud.

So when is the big day of filling it up? Or are you still waiting till March (We both know you wont wait that long)

Btw- is anybody else getting emails saying there are new posts when in reality no one has posted

Who knows... I still need a LOT of equipment before I can think about water.

Unread 10/08/2008, 08:12 PM   #331
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OwNeD162
Hey TJ, all is starting to come together !
The stands look great ! I'm glad you changed them round, i'm with everyone else, it would have bugged you eventually
I like the water change idea too! Not having to stick a bucket/pipe/tube/hands/anything in to change water sounds awesome !
With the RO/DI, are you going to be adding Kaslk(or however you spell that) again?
Cheers,
Mitchell.
Thanks.

The only thing with making the stand higher is that the fuge will have to be fed off the return line now.

Also, I need to figure out the dimensions for the BRUTE storage rack. I picked up the wood for it today, but am probably going to take a break from building for a few days.

I won't be dosing kalkwasser via the "still reservoir" like I currently do on my 90g tank. I'll probably use a combination of a Calcium Reactor and Kalk Reactor.

Unread 10/08/2008, 08:12 PM   #332
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8

are you talking about the back of the tank, or the stand frame?

I believe kudora was asking about the frame, because the canopy frame on my 90 tank began to peel and crack pretty badly, so I doubt I'll paint it this time around.

The vinyl sticker sounds like an interesting idea for the tank though. I was just planning on painting the back of the tank black.
Yes sir. It would be applied to the back and/or side(s) of your tank before you add the water. It would also add a little bit of insulation to your tank. Just something to think about. I will be doing this for my 90 gal

Unread 10/09/2008, 02:40 PM   #333
maroun.c
Registered Member

Nice Build thread.
Just finished reading it and it looks you're on the wat to a very nice setup.
Good move on making the stand higher. I did not change my stand after many mistakes they made at bulding it and am paying the price.
You mentioned you will have the OM 4way but will it handle the flow of this huge pump you got or will you add a Bypass unit.
As for lighting I guess MH for such systems is the method of choice especially if you plan to go for clams and SPS.
So for the 3 T5 in my tank have cost me very close to what my 3 MH did and to my surprise they are raising temp in the hood when they run alone and I don't have hte fans running. of course its a lot less than halides but they do get hot.
They are very intense lights and are spread pver the whole length of the tank yet I'd rather have a focal much more stronger light and surrounding areas of a bit less intensity which I guess is better for those very high light demanding corals and you could place less demanding ones around them.
Still i would say check if 2 250 W on the sides and maybe a 400 in the middle would cut it for you as it gets really hot with 3 400. One other suggestion would beto go with 10K halides which give more par and then add few Actinic T5s for bluer colour. I wish those guys with par meters wouuld post more of their par readings under different deapths and different light setups so that a real comparison can be made between T5s and MH.

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Unread 10/09/2008, 10:11 PM   #334
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DEERE G
TJ, You will have to check out Vivek's frag tank after I drop it off Thursday. If you are looking for nothing fancy maybe I can help. LOL Keith
Just saw Vivek's tank tonight. Amazing craftmanship Keith... very well constructed.

I'll have to give you a call about the Frag tank. I'm looking at 21" Long x 21" Wide x 15" Tall with an internal overflow box, in the center of the back wall (maybe in the corner, havent decided yet) that would drain out the bottom... with 2 holes that could fit 1" bulkheads in the bottom of the overflow.

I'll try and give you a call tomorrow sometime in the afternoon, or early evening.

Unread 10/09/2008, 10:13 PM   #335
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Padrino
Yes sir. It would be applied to the back and/or side(s) of your tank before you add the water. It would also add a little bit of insulation to your tank. Just something to think about. I will be doing this for my 90 gal
Gotcha... I may have to look into that. Like I said before... I was just planning on painting it.

Unread 10/09/2008, 10:16 PM   #336
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maroun.c
Nice Build thread.
Just finished reading it and it looks you're on the wat to a very nice setup.
Good move on making the stand higher. I did not change my stand after many mistakes they made at bulding it and am paying the price.
You mentioned you will have the OM 4way but will it handle the flow of this huge pump you got or will you add a Bypass unit.
As for lighting I guess MH for such systems is the method of choice especially if you plan to go for clams and SPS.
So for the 3 T5 in my tank have cost me very close to what my 3 MH did and to my surprise they are raising temp in the hood when they run alone and I don't have hte fans running. of course its a lot less than halides but they do get hot.
They are very intense lights and are spread pver the whole length of the tank yet I'd rather have a focal much more stronger light and surrounding areas of a bit less intensity which I guess is better for those very high light demanding corals and you could place less demanding ones around them.
Still i would say check if 2 250 W on the sides and maybe a 400 in the middle would cut it for you as it gets really hot with 3 400. One other suggestion would beto go with 10K halides which give more par and then add few Actinic T5s for bluer colour. I wish those guys with par meters wouuld post more of their par readings under different deapths and different light setups so that a real comparison can be made between T5s and MH.
Thanks.

Flow is not an issue with the 4 way (at least not with the pump I'm using), as it can handle over 7500gph of flow through it.

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...4461fc03af6637

The breakout for cost of MH's vs a GOOD T5 setup is about the same. I'm just not sure of the capabilities of T5's at the 30" depth. I plan on doing more research on the topic once I get a little closer to the fill up date.

pwhitby is a resource I will hope to get some input from, because his TOTM was my favorite since I signed up, and he used all T5's if I am remembering correctly.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

Unread 10/10/2008, 03:57 AM   #337
DEERE G
Passing Through

TJ, Thanks for the comments on Vivek's frag tank. He seems to be happy with the results. Let me know when you are raedy. Keith

Current Tank Info: DRY
Unread 10/10/2008, 10:17 PM   #338
timschmidt
Premium Member

Looking good TJ.

Current Tank Info: Nanocube 12DX / Nanocube 28G HQI
Unread 10/11/2008, 07:57 PM   #339
zibba
Registered Member

I've been following along on your build Tswifty - congrats on Thread of the Month.

Keep up the great work documenting and taking your time to "do the right thing". Both your 90-gal and 220-gal thread prove that you're willing to both go the extra mile and listen to others advice to ensure that you have a successful tank long term. It's refreshing.

Unread 10/11/2008, 09:16 PM   #340
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
Thanks.

The breakout for cost of MH's vs a GOOD T5 setup is about the same. I'm just not sure of the capabilities of T5's at the 30" depth. I plan on doing more research on the topic once I get a little closer to the fill up date.

If you check back on Grimreefers thread he suggested the t5's over the halides for a 30 inch high tank.
I believe it was the constellation with 14 bulbs and individual reflectors that would kick butt on the halides.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:29 PM   #341
Tswifty
Registered Member

Started the salt water mix/change station... Ran out of screws half way through again.

Front/Entrance for 44g BRUTE on wheels:

Unread 10/11/2008, 09:32 PM   #342
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
If you check back on Grimreefers thread he suggested the t5's over the halides for a 30 inch high tank.
I believe it was the constellation with 14 bulbs and individual reflectors that would kick butt on the halides.
Don't worry... I'll be taking a look at it, and overanalyzing the heck out of both options when it comes time to make a decision.

btw... glad to see your back and ok

Last edited by Tswifty; 10/11/2008 at 09:52 PM.
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:33 PM   #343
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timschmidt
Looking good TJ.
Thanks Tim.

Unread 10/11/2008, 09:40 PM   #344
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zibba
I've been following along on your build Tswifty - congrats on Thread of the Month.

Keep up the great work documenting and taking your time to "do the right thing". Both your 90-gal and 220-gal thread prove that you're willing to both go the extra mile and listen to others advice to ensure that you have a successful tank long term. It's refreshing.
Thank you for the kind words.

It's always nice to have a couple hundred/thousand extra sets of eyes to let me know if I'm about to do something stupid.

Unread 10/11/2008, 11:57 PM   #345
Reefer Brian
Moved On

Let see some pics of the tank.......

Unread 10/12/2008, 01:30 PM   #346
Tswifty
Registered Member

Finished up the water change/mix station today. Another 44g BRUTE will sit on top of the stand.

A few pictures showing how cramped for space I am in the garage. Hopefully all the stuff from the mix/change station stand down will be out of the garage by the end of the week.

Unread 10/12/2008, 01:36 PM   #347
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer Brian
Let see some pics of the tank.......
It's just hanging out in my dining room waiting for me to cut the remaining holes.

Unread 10/12/2008, 02:53 PM   #348
2farNorth
Moved On

Just curious, I went back and looked through the thread, didn't really see much, but did you figure out about the Garages temperature? All I can picture is trying to do a water change when the temperature is -20 below!!! Or does it not get that cold there?

Unread 10/12/2008, 05:12 PM   #349
danceswithfish
Registered Member

Seems like just yesterday I was browsing your 90g thread. That is an awesome new tank!

Unread 10/12/2008, 05:23 PM   #350
Tswifty
Registered Member

Well posting the tank picture gave me some motivation to suck it up and cut the 2 closed loop intake holes.

There's definitely a learning curve, as I had virtually no scuff or entrance pit from tipping the bit in. Also, this bit cut much faster, and each hole probably only took around 10-15 minutes.

So now that's 8 holes down... 3 to go.

Last edited by Tswifty; 10/12/2008 at 05:42 PM.
Closed Thread