Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/07/2008, 03:11 AM   #26
Tangweed
Registered Member

New thread good idea. Are you going to keep 2 tanks running or just switch over to the 220? What is wrong with the current stand, not strong enough?

Current Tank Info: 90 gal with 40 gal breeder sump / fuge, Octo skimmer, lights and some water.
Unread 09/07/2008, 03:18 AM   #27
Vazroth
Registered Member

Nice Find on the tank.. I never get that lucky!

As i am getting ready to do a 150g build I'll tag along as well, maybe i can gain some Ideas as to what i really want out of my system..

and your other thread is great!! this one will be better!

Vaz

Current Tank Info: 75g Mixed Reef I inherited From Prater when I bought the House, 120g MIxed Reef in Cycle...
Unread 09/07/2008, 05:28 AM   #28
kar93
Registered Member

Don't know what to say so I'll just subscribe.

Unread 09/07/2008, 06:33 AM   #29
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TankBusters
I just built that same DIY stand with 2x6's. It came out great but I am just not happy about toe nailing the purple boards.

You should add the lime green boards to stiffen up the stand to prevent it from racking under the weight. This will give you a much stronger corner and allow you to get around the toenailing issue you mentioned.

Unread 09/07/2008, 07:21 AM   #30
2frosty4u
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8

Trying to put on paper what I'm visualizing for the equipment layout.

I'm going to make an "L" shaped table with two levels for the garage, and would like to use two 75 gallon tanks for the sump & refugium. Also I would like to incorporate a manifold on this tank to run all the little stuff, rather than using all individual pumps.

Why are you planning on 2 pumps? I do what you're showing with one pump. When I first set up this system I installed a header T'eed off the return to a manifold to run things like carbon reactors or what ever I choose. Since then I've changed the plumbing a bit. Because my sump is in the basement the 2" drain line that comes from the main floor runs completely down to the basement floor where another manifold (inline in drain) is plumbed in so I can utillize pressure built up through the height of the water column to drive reactors without a pump at all. The drain then turns back up like a plumbing P trap to feed the FOWLR which then drains into the sump. This upturn keeps the drain full of water before the manifold to increase the natural pressure at the outlets.
I would also consider raising the outlet bulkhead of the fuge above the top of your Display tank so you can gravity feed it instaed of draining back into the sump where the pods are going to get beat up going through the pump. My sump is under a work bench like your drawing shows and has the Fowlr above it instead of the fuge, it is a PITA to work on somedays because I dont have alot of room between the sump and the shelf supporting the Fowlr. By raising your fuge you will have more room to fidget around in the sump. My fuge is off to the side of the fowlr on an L shaped affair like you spoke of earlier.

Unread 09/07/2008, 08:16 AM   #31
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2frosty4u
Why are you planning on 2 pumps? I do what you're showing with one pump. When I first set up this system I installed a header T'eed off the return to a manifold to run things like carbon reactors or what ever I choose. Since then I've changed the plumbing a bit. Because my sump is in the basement the 2" drain line that comes from the main floor runs completely down to the basement floor where another manifold (inline in drain) is plumbed in so I can utillize pressure built up through the height of the water column to drive reactors without a pump at all. The drain then turns back up like a plumbing P trap to feed the FOWLR which then drains into the sump. This upturn keeps the drain full of water before the manifold to increase the natural pressure at the outlets.
I would also consider raising the outlet bulkhead of the fuge above the top of your Display tank so you can gravity feed it instaed of draining back into the sump where the pods are going to get beat up going through the pump. My sump is under a work bench like your drawing shows and has the Fowlr above it instead of the fuge, it is a PITA to work on somedays because I dont have alot of room between the sump and the shelf supporting the Fowlr. By raising your fuge you will have more room to fidget around in the sump. My fuge is off to the side of the fowlr on an L shaped affair like you spoke of earlier.
I think one of the pumps is for the closed loop??

IMO a 75 gal sump is a waste---if it is just to house equipment.
I would add another fuge with deep sand bed and live rock only.

I think the 2 inch pvc lines are a real asset to Harolds system too.

I'm not trying to be critical here TJ---I am with you all the way on this because I am on deck after the power hitter

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 09/07/2008, 08:22 AM   #32
timschmidt
Premium Member

Wow. I'm getting lots of good ideas! Hopefully my townhouse will sell and when I move into the single family home I can scrape up enough for my big tank. :_

Current Tank Info: Nanocube 12DX / Nanocube 28G HQI
Unread 09/07/2008, 08:44 AM   #33
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timschmidt
Wow. I'm getting lots of good ideas! Hopefully my townhouse will sell and when I move into the single family home I can scrape up enough for my big tank. :_
GOTTCHA first this time

I agree with you Tim--I am actually starting to print this thread off

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 09/07/2008, 11:10 AM   #34
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tangweed
New thread good idea. Are you going to keep 2 tanks running or just switch over to the 220? What is wrong with the current stand, not strong enough?
Once the 220 is up and running, I plan on transferring everything from the 90 into it, then taking it down. I just don't want to maintain two large systems.

There's a small possibility it may get turned into a FOWLR tank for Laura, but I doubt it.

As far as the stand goes... There's nothing wrong with the current stand, I would just like to build something a little nicer, and a little taller. Probably similar to will16's stand.

Unread 09/07/2008, 11:11 AM   #35
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vazroth
Nice Find on the tank.. I never get that lucky!

As i am getting ready to do a 150g build I'll tag along as well, maybe i can gain some Ideas as to what i really want out of my system..

and your other thread is great!! this one will be better!

Vaz
Thanks

Unread 09/07/2008, 11:12 AM   #36
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
Don't know what to say so I'll just subscribe.

Unread 09/07/2008, 11:19 AM   #37
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2frosty4u
The second pump is what I was considering to run a manifold, although after I made the drawing... I think there may be a better way to plumb it, similiar to what you explained.

As far as raising the fuge above the display tank... I don't think I would be able to do that. I would have to raise the extremely high to acheive that. I didn't finish the fuge drain line, but plan on having it empty into the return section. That way the pods should be a little dizy, but will still make it to the display tank.

I've thought about the maintenance part also. The good thing with building the bench, will be that I can customize it to my needs, and make sure there is enough room to move comfortably underneath. Although, this is just a first crack at a design... and I see it changing quite a bit before the final one is put in place.

Unread 09/07/2008, 11:26 AM   #38
kar93
Registered Member

If you take a look at Ryan's build he has alot of great ideas which you might be able to incorporate into the tank.

Unread 09/07/2008, 11:26 AM   #39
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
I think one of the pumps is for the closed loop??

IMO a 75 gal sump is a waste---if it is just to house equipment.
I would add another fuge with deep sand bed and live rock only.

I think the 2 inch pvc lines are a real asset to Harolds system too.

I'm not trying to be critical here TJ---I am with you all the way on this because I am on deck after the power hitter
If I do decide to run a closed loop setup, the closed loop pump will more than likely be housed under the stand on the other side of the wall. Similiar to this:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

I was considering 1-1/2" drain lines, but the capability of a 1" drain under siphon is around 1,500 GPH I believe. The current system I use runs silent, and is capable of moving upwards of 3,000 GPH. Since I'll be looking at a return pump somewhere in the range of 1,000 to 2,000 GPH, I'm going to stick with my current system.

As far as the sump goes... I want to make sure all my equipment runs within a container, so if anything would happen to leak or overflow it won't cause problems. Therefore the sump will need to be large enough to comfortably house my: Skimmer, Calcium Reactor, GFO Reactor, Carbon Reactor... etc...

Unread 09/07/2008, 12:08 PM   #40
seanb
Premium Member

Perfect timing! I was just thinking of upgrading my own 90g to a 220. Looking good!
You have another subscriber.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef tank
Unread 09/07/2008, 02:03 PM   #41
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Have you seen anything on the size of the sump needed for a certain flow rate-- I'm just wondering what size of sump to go to for a 220gal since I need to replace a leaking sump now.

Unread 09/07/2008, 02:23 PM   #42
Tswifty
Registered Member

It's in the house...

Unread 09/07/2008, 02:31 PM   #43
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
It's in the house...

and do you really want us to believe that you are not going to set it up for awhile---not

Unread 09/07/2008, 02:33 PM   #44
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
It's in the house...

what are the exact dimensions---I'm working on the wife as we speak
it would be nice to be able to do the tanks at the same time---I even want to go with the same aqua structure you have in the 90 gal---back reefs are just not practical -and some of the fish back there never come out unless for a meal

Unread 09/07/2008, 02:54 PM   #45
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
and do you really want us to believe that you are not going to set it up for awhile---not
No kidding.

Unread 09/07/2008, 02:56 PM   #46
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
what are the exact dimensions---I'm working on the wife as we speak
it would be nice to be able to do the tanks at the same time---I even want to go with the same aqua structure you have in the 90 gal---back reefs are just not practical -and some of the fish back there never come out unless for a meal
72" x 24" x 30"

It absolutely dwarfs my 90g, and everything else in the room.

I think I've decided on my closed loop and overflow layout though. I'm going to draw up a picture here in a little.

Man I wish my rocks were glued together in my 90. It would be nice just to lift those 2 structures out and place them in the 220. Then I would only have to build 2 more.

Unread 09/07/2008, 03:32 PM   #47
seanb
Premium Member

Capn,
if you go to the reef central sump calculator: http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/sump.php
Not only will it tell you the minimum sump size you need to handle the overflow, but if you enter the gph turnover you want it will calc a recommended sump size.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef tank
Unread 09/07/2008, 04:09 PM   #48
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seanb
Capn,
if you go to the reef central sump calculator: http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/sump.php
Not only will it tell you the minimum sump size you need to handle the overflow, but if you enter the gph turnover you want it will calc a recommended sump size.
Thanks Sean--I forgot all about the calculators on the home page

Unread 09/07/2008, 04:12 PM   #49
Aquarist007
Registered Member

TJ--I was right with my assumption--you only need between 30 and 40 gal for a sump according to the calculator.

You are probably going to upgrade to the MSX250 however, and you will need a 16 inch footprint for it

Unread 09/07/2008, 04:39 PM   #50
Tswifty
Registered Member

Here's how I would like to set up the Closed Loop with the Ocean's Motions 4 way. I really like how pwhitby set up his closed loop. The ports in the back push out water from behind the rockwork, and the ports below keep the water on the bottom in continuous circulation.

The ports on the back would fire, then the ports on the bottom would fire on alternating intervals.

Closed Thread