Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/10/2008, 11:28 AM   #151
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pcannone
Thanks. I kind of figured that. Just wanted to make sure.

For someone who is learning more and more with each thread, would you be able to put either arrows or a brief narrative on where the water is coming or going?
I think this makes it look more confusing actually.

The yellow PVC line will extend down and empty into the skimmer section of the sump on the lower level. The Tee will feed off of the this line via the ball valve and empty into the fuge.

The reason there are back to back valves, is that the first valve will set my siphon through the entire line, then the second valve will be used to distribute that flow through to the sump and fuge... I think

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:33 AM   #152
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eme
Tswifty8Makes perfect sense to me :-
- Isnt the second gate/ball valve on your siphon ( main to Sump) superfluous?
- You might as well T-off the return for Calcium Reactor/Denitrator/Phosban/Carbon Reactors mow ( only teasing!)
- Will your ATO go in the garage .. may as well build in now ... bang goes the frag tank space
I'm thinking of drilling an extra hole in the sump, in case I want to hook up a pump to run a manifold in the future. I'm not sure if I'll plumb it into the return line initially or not.

As for the second valve, I tried to explain my reasoning above, but will need to talk to Bean to see if it will function like I think it will.

I have a plan for a Salt Water Mix Station & ATO Reservoir. I just have to measure to make sure I have the room. It will most likely be situated on the other side of the doorway.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:35 AM   #153
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eme
..Actually rethinking .. wouldnt sump be better off at 90 degrees to make plumbing easier with skimmer section to left .. as it currently is the skimmer section and fuge overflow are at the same end ..

doesnt matter, but easily worked out ( by someone brighter than me)
Ideally I would have liked to situate it that way. However, I only have 42-44" to work with on that side of the doorway. So the 75g tank is too long to fit across that wall.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:38 AM   #154
Phillybean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D to the P
man room. That's fantastic.

What about when it needs vacuumed?

just kidding any ladies out there
hah

It's going to be great, fish tank, computer, leather chairs and a foosball table

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:41 AM   #155
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillybean
Looks good. I would plumb in a "T" for the frag tank now, with a vavle on it so when you do add it you won't have to re-do the return plumbing, just add to it.

I'm actually a little freaked out reading your build, nearly everything your doing/planning matchs with the plan in my head for my future upgrade. My wife and I are just finishing with the last details on buying our first home, and the basement has a large storage/furnance/breaker room right next to a large 3rd bedroom that I'm going to convert into a "Mans Room". A 180 or bigger will be going in the wall. Literally everything I'm planning, with the exception of the lights are the same, even the plumbing!
That's not a bad idea actually. I just know the frag tank will take a while, because I'm going to need a lot of corals to fill this sucker initially.

Well at least you'll get to see if it works out... or catastrophically fails, before you try it out.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:41 AM   #156
Phillybean
Registered Member

So will the siphon line drain into the fuge or the sump or both?

I like the idea of both, because slower flow thru the fuge is usually a good thing.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:43 AM   #157
Phillybean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
Well at least you'll get to see if it works out... or catastrophically fails, before you try it out.
I can't imagine it failing, too many great minds working on it

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:46 AM   #158
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks like a good way to get a lot in a small space.
Are both the sump and fuge gonna be 75 gallon tanks?

And if so, what are you going to do with all the extra room in the sump? You could always pile up some more live rock in there.

And this time around, what are your plans for the fuge? Just another cheato farm, or a DSB with some live rock and plants like mangroves and macroalgae?

It might be nice to have a fuge worth looking at. Especially if you end up getting another situation like what happened with the engineer goby or the CB shrimp.
That's the plan... stuff as much fish crap as possible in an area that is way too small. Figuring out a way to enclose it is going to be the real fun part though.

Both tanks will be 75g tanks. I don't know how much extra room I'll end up having in the sump, because I would like to house all my reactors in there also.

As for the fuge... I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:55 AM   #159
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
So will the siphon line drain into the fuge or the sump or both?

I like the idea of both, because slower flow thru the fuge is usually a good thing.
Both.

The siphon line is really the only line that carries flow in this system. The open channel will have water moving through it, but not much. This line basically functions to handle any extra/or fluctuation in flow the siphon line can't handle, and also helps keep the water level constant in the overflow.

The emergency line will only have water flow through it if something bad happens.

So the siphon line will primarily feed the sump, but I will tee off the line to send some flow through the refugium.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:56 AM   #160
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
I can't imagine it failing, too many great minds working on it
That's the goal of the thread... overanalyze the crap out of this thing before I build it.

Unread 09/10/2008, 11:56 AM   #161
Phillybean
Registered Member

I would frame it in with a simple 2x4 wall. Drywall the inside and ourside and insulate it. Have a door that opens towards the garage or use a sliding door.

Another option would be to build a 2x2 wall and use wall board (?) basically the same stuff they make interior walls in trailers out of. I believe I read that your renting, so I wouldn't go too crazy, but a small wall can easily come down...and after moving a 220 gallon tank + system, you'll need the stress reliever

Unread 09/10/2008, 12:03 PM   #162
Tswifty
Registered Member

Yeah I'm not planning on going too elaborate with a wall for that exact reason. Basically just enough of a barrier to keep the temp a little warmer/colder that the garage itself.

Yeah I'm renting, but planning on being here for a while, otherwise I wouldn't be setting the tank up. I don't even want to think about the eventual move, but I highly doubt the tank itself will make the trip.

I see myself ordering a new one, and just leaving this guy on the curb for someone.

Unread 09/10/2008, 12:04 PM   #163
D to the P
Registered Member

I can't imagine what it's going to be like moving out of this house TJ. You'll have to knock down the wall while not getting too much stuff in the sump, and then move one large and one extra large fish tank, and all their inhabitants to another place, and re-plumb the systems so that they worked like they used to.

I hope you have a couple of friends and a couple of 12 packs to make it through that nightmare. I didn't even like moving my 10 gallon from my dorm back home over winter/summer break.

Current Tank Info: 12 gallon Aquapod reef with LED's, multiple nano's at work.
Unread 09/10/2008, 12:11 PM   #164
eme
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of drilling an extra hole in the sump, in case I want to hook up a pump to run a manifold in the future. I'm not sure if I'll plumb it into the return line initially or not.
Actually with you on that. I've been out of this game for lots of years but am surprised at the number of people who change the balance coming off the return pump with T-s to reactors et al. Im designing my latest for reactors to have their own pump ( and manifold)

Quote:
As for the second valve, I tried to explain my reasoning above, but will need to talk to Bean to see if it will function like I think it will.
Well Im not arguing with BeanAnimal .. more knowledge than I !! I think the channel only needs one ( the first one) ... you can always ask the man but one valve isnt going to make-or-break this system cost-wise!

Quote:
I have a plan for a Salt Water Mix Station & ATO Reservoir. I just have to measure to make sure I have the room. It will most likely be situated on the other side of the doorway.
Bah Humbug ! Eleven steps ahead of me !

Current Tank Info: Watch this space ....
Unread 09/10/2008, 12:14 PM   #165
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I can't imagine what it's going to be like moving out of this house TJ. You'll have to knock down the wall while not getting too much stuff in the sump, and then move one large and one extra large fish tank, and all their inhabitants to another place, and re-plumb the systems so that they worked like they used to.

I hope you have a couple of friends and a couple of 12 packs to make it through that nightmare. I didn't even like moving my 10 gallon from my dorm back home over winter/summer break.
I'm coming down to help and stay at Rae's house--help her with the new tank--make a great weekend
Actually I'll stay in Columbus--there is a dynamite Hilton just beside Martin's Steak House.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 09/10/2008, 01:40 PM   #166
D to the P
Registered Member

TJ, I got some pictures that might give you a few ideas on plumbing your sump
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/09/exploring_the_l.php

All you need is a few $6 billion and you could be sending nitrates and phosphates at almost the speed of light crashing right into each other. That'll surely get rid of them in your tank!

Unread 09/10/2008, 02:20 PM   #167
Tswifty
Registered Member

The electrical engineering intern that was working for me showed me article on that a few weeks ago... pretty crazy stuff.

Unread 09/10/2008, 02:33 PM   #168
D to the P
Registered Member

Yeah I've been following it along for a while. They just started it up today. No collisions yet, but it works!

Unread 09/10/2008, 03:28 PM   #169
raen
Registered Member

Teej, I have an idea....leave Laura, I'll leave Andy, we hook the two of them up, we all get married, and you can build me new tanks all of the time. Andy is SUPER nice, so I just know Laura will love him. I can't even draw pictures, or come up with them in my head for that matter, you "compute" them, and make it real. Andy just nods and smiles, and says "huh" a lot to my excitement at the tank.

*disclaimer......I am only proposing to TJ because he lives close!

She wasn't wicked, she only liked the shoes!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gall Hex, 3 #3's, no fuge..........YET!!!
Unread 09/10/2008, 04:21 PM   #170
chrismunn
Registered Member

Quote:

That being said, I've seen tanks where SPS corals will actually grow away from the light, because it is too intense for them. Plus your spectrum with the halides will come into play.

here's an intersting example of a coral doing better under shade than it is in direct light.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&pagenumber=38

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
Unread 09/10/2008, 04:54 PM   #171
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raen
Teej, I have an idea....leave Laura, I'll leave Andy, we hook the two of them up, we all get married, and you can build me new tanks all of the time. Andy is SUPER nice, so I just know Laura will love him. I can't even draw pictures, or come up with them in my head for that matter, you "compute" them, and make it real. Andy just nods and smiles, and says "huh" a lot to my excitement at the tank.

Unread 09/10/2008, 04:58 PM   #172
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
here's an intersting example of a coral doing better under shade than it is in direct light.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&pagenumber=38
Yeah the coral I was talking about was also a birdsnest. It was actually growing down away from the light in the guys tank (400w halides). The guy cut me a frag, and I have it low in the tank, and it's fattened up and grown much taller.

Also, I've heard this holds true with any of the "rare" montiporas (superman, rainbow, sunset, etc...) they're colors change pretty drastically based on the light.

Unread 09/10/2008, 06:25 PM   #173
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raen

Rae--you just broke my heart

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 09/10/2008, 06:33 PM   #174
Al Bendiksen
Registered Member

Quote:
TJ, I got some pictures that might give you a few ideas on plumbing your sump
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/09/exploring_the_l.php

All you need is a few $6 billion and you could be sending nitrates and phosphates at almost the speed of light crashing right into each other. That'll surely get rid of them in your tank!
Yeah i have been following it for a while. Im going to laugh we start a black hole or something. I mean, what's the worst that could happen!

Wait? what? ...... oooh thats right BIG BANG THEORY!

"There's never nothing going on. There are no ordinary moments."

Current Tank Info: Starting a 120g
Unread 09/10/2008, 07:05 PM   #175
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I think this makes it look more confusing actually.

The yellow PVC line will extend down and empty into the skimmer section of the sump on the lower level. The Tee will feed off of the this line via the ball valve and empty into the fuge.

The reason there are back to back valves, is that the first valve will set my siphon through the entire line, then the second valve will be used to distribute that flow through to the sump and fuge... I think

question--how do you get the water to flow across all those spaces in the pvc

Closed Thread