Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Tmerrill333
Registered Member

Anemone Juvunile?

I have had three BTAs for a few months, all is going well. I noticed this a few weeks ago, however it hasn't opened up. Its about the size of a dime. There are three of these in my tank, are these juvenile BTAs or just very small clones and due to their very small size just not opening up and acting like Juveniles?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown1.jpg (78.8 KB, 44 views)
Tmerrill333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 11:08 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Looks like baby anemones.
I have never heard of BTA or any other host anemone to propagate via pedal laceration like Aptasia for example. If the host anemone species split they generally do it via longitudinal fission so that the resulting individuals are of approximately equal size

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Tmerrill333
Registered Member

If they are babies is it normal for them to be closed? It's been a couple weeks.

Tmerrill333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2019, 01:49 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I got a couple of BTAs from an LFS last weekend and two wouldn't come off the rock, so I took that as well. After the BTAs came off the rock at home I inspected it for pests and found a few of those babies (aside from Aptasia and vermetid snails). One opened a little and I'm pretty sure it's a BTA. I doubt that those I found are offspring from the green BTAs I bought with the rock. They look more like RBTAs and from the pattern it seems that they settled around the "mother" that was likely removed (or died) a while before I got the rock. At this point I would also no longer rule out the possibility of pedal laceration.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/07/2019, 07:02 PM   #5
MarinaP
Registered Member

You might have something along corynactis line

https://shapeandtheidea.wordpress.co...jewel-anemone/

Unread 09/07/2019, 07:19 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaP View Post
You might have something along corynactis line

https://shapeandtheidea.wordpress.co...jewel-anemone/
Possible as well but given the fact that this rock has been at the store for years it's rather unlikely.
Those jewel anemones came usually in as hitchhikers on live rock. But with effectively no new live rock coming in, the influx of such hitchhikers has pretty much stopped as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk