Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2016, 11:56 PM   #1
Yo_mama
Registered Member

180 gallon DT with ICH!!!!! Puffer sick

SOS, I am so sad. I bought a 7" porcupine puffer and added it to my display tank with out quarantining him first. I am a rookie. I bought him on Thursday last week. He will not eat any of the food I have bought him: Fresh live clams, fresh live crayfish, frozen clams, frozen silver fish, and Krill. He has only eaten 4 hermit crabs and attempted to eat my Scooter Blenny and Margarita snails. He continuously rubs himself on the sand. Yesterday my husband saw a couple of white dots on him. I did a 20% water change. Today he has not eaten at all still and he is sitting at the bottom of the tank. I read that they are nocturnal so I have been leaving a night light on for him at the side of the tank. Last night I decided maybe he doesn't need the light. I woke up to pure chaos. He had knocked over two live rocks that were housing my mushrooms and zoas. My Cleaner shrimp's cave was a mess and she had even molted all her shell. I am guessing he went after her? All my zoa pods on the sand bottom, mushrooms laying almost dead. The fish were scared to death all hiding. Now to top it off the Puffer is covered in white spots and even the eyes look weird with a hazey film. My Magnificent Bi Color Foxface's yellow tale has faded to a dark green, he has a few white spots. The lemon peel Angel fish wont leave the cleaner shrimp alone all day chasing him around.

I am setting up my 20 gallon hospital tank, heater, filter etc. I have read so many different threads with so many different opinions. Should I take the Porcupine Puffer out, quarantine him with copper? Something else? How long? I will be so sad if he dies. I love him. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. Acrylic tank, 3 Led Current USA 40" Orbitz, Sump Pump 33 gallon, G3 Skimmer SEDRA 5000 Pump, Return pump EHeim5000, 300 watt heater, Purigen, Chemipure media bags.
Yo_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Yo_mama
Registered Member

Nobody can offer me advise?

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. Acrylic tank, 3 Led Current USA 40" Orbitz, Sump Pump 33 gallon, G3 Skimmer SEDRA 5000 Pump, Return pump EHeim5000, 300 watt heater, Purigen, Chemipure media bags.
Yo_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 01:01 PM   #3
paulmartin
Registered Member

If it were me I'd take all fish out the DT and into the hospital tank and start treating for Ich asap. The chances are they are now all carrying the parasite. Good luck with it.

paulmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 02:17 PM   #4
lespaul339
Reefer

You need to set up a couple quarantine tanks and start tank transfer method. Look it up, there are plenty of threads on RC about how to do it. It can be as simple as using two rubber made totes if you have to. You will need to sterilize each tote and equipment with either a bleach/water solution or vinegar and let air dry for at least 24 hours in-between each tank transfer. You will need two heaters and buy multiple air stones and throw them away after each use. They aren't worth trying to disinfect. Your display tank is now going to have to sit empty for at least 72 days or longer to make sure any dormant ich cysts are dead. I go longer just to be sure. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 60x24x24 150 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
lespaul339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich advice, not eating, porcupine puffer, quarantine