Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2019, 05:27 PM   #1
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Looking for a tank builder whos out there?

So the time has come for my first custom tank size. Im looking for 84x36x30 with an external overflow.

I know of AGE but have heard some bad things about their tanks bursting. I know of glasscages but I have seen their work and do not like the seam work. There are a few local companies but I have not heard anything about them and thats about it.

So who made your tank?

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 07:45 PM   #2
nezw0001
Registered Member

Custom aquariums out of Neenah WI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 450g see thru tank, MH lighting, 180 basement sump, Apex controller, Lifereef skimmer, 30g QT tank
nezw0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 07:53 PM   #3
galoot
Registered Member

Reef Savvy and TankMeUSA are out of Florida. Very nice tanks with a price to match

galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 08:00 PM   #4
Bono
Registered Member

I just picked up my tank from Custom Aquariums and I couldn't happier. I worked with Bob Pontow and it took about 12 weeks from order to delivery.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 08:02 PM   #5
MarkW64
Registered Member

Be sure to check out Miracles in Ontario. They ship to the US regularly. When I was deciding on a custom tank builder 3 years ago I judged that they were my best choice — able to build what I wanted, and best balance of price/quality. I’m very happy with my 72x24x31 230g with external overflow.

Unread 01/22/2019, 05:28 PM   #6
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Ive heard good things about Miracles. Does anyone have pics of their tanks? Anyone had a custom tank for more than 5 years?

Unread 01/22/2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

I’ve been shopping for a very similar tank. I also ran across AGE and I’m intrigued by the glass acrylic hybrid and the PVC/Steel braced - one of which have I seen elsewhere.

What have you heard about their tanks bursting? A quick google search showed nothing that I could find? Obviously I’m anxious not to have that happen!

Unread 01/23/2019, 06:36 AM   #8
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

My local reef club president told me all 3 AGE tanks he knew of members having burst over the past 5 years and they just kinda said "yeah that happens" I dont know details. I have a feeling they were denied warranty due to them not being on "approved stands" but its still enough to make me avoid them. Which kinda sucks because last I checked(like 10 years ago) they were the best out there. But I also am not looking for a hybrid tank. Just glass.

I got a quote from Miracles with a metal stand and its not bad Im going to check around with some others mentioned. But I would love some actual feedback from people who actually own custom made tanks.

Unread 01/23/2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Envisions

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 11:09 AM   #10
nightOwl
Premium Member

Another vote for Miracles in Canada. Shipping/quality/price made them very competitive. I had them do a custom display tank and a frag tank . I love the tank and have a build thread about it. I had my stand (steel) built locally but my design was approved my Derek.

Main Display - 82" x 40" x 26"
IMG_9431 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Frag Tank - 36" x 24" x 16"
IMG_9483 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 01/24/2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Looking for a tank builder whos out there?

nightOwl: How was your experience of asking a local fabricator to make up a stand? Did they understand the structural needs or did you have to do a lot of education with them about impressing the structural importance with them?

Unread 01/24/2019, 11:19 AM   #12
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezw0001 View Post
Custom aquariums out of Neenah WI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I live in WI and they are popular here and I see their tank all the time..
They are very nice and well built. I have never heard of a complaint.

Unread 01/24/2019, 11:26 AM   #13
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Reef View Post
nightOwl: How was your experience of asking a local fabricator to make up a stand? Did they understand the structural needs or did you have to do a lot of education with them about impressing the structural importance with them?
I spoke to Derek about what I needed to have to have my tank warranty valid with them based on my tank size. I designed the stand in google sketch up and had Derek say it was good to go. Afterwards I found a local Iron Works place. They specilized in custom work and fabricate all kinds of stuff so they did not really have to do any work. I did all the leg work for them. Easy money. I sent them the sketch up specs and they built the stand to my specs. It was fun for them because it was something different. As they did the work they guy would let me come by and inspect and make sure it was too my liking and then they continued to the next parts. If it is a local place that does custom work they build what you ask. In my case the place and experience was great and they made some suggestions that improved my design as I wanted a walk-board on my tank stand. My stand with walk-board looks like this. I don't have front access to my tank so I stand on the walk-board to reach the front of the tank and it works out well for me.

Main Display with Walk-board in Place
IMG_9419 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 01/24/2019, 11:32 AM   #14
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Thanks! That a great stand. Out of curiosity was Derek even open to a suitable wood stand or was it “gotta be steel!”

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:05 PM   #15
nightOwl
Premium Member

They didn't offer a wooden stand option that I know of. I also don't think they extend the warranty on do it yourself stands if that is the reason you are thinking wood over steel. If you notice I added gussets so that I could skin the stand if I ever wanted to but since I have a dedicated fish room and my tank sits behind the wall I haven't skinned it yet. My last couple of stands were wooden but steel is not bad. Sturdy as all get out and gives you some options. Check around at local fabricator if one is in your area...much cheaper than you would expect and I overdone it with the thickness just because I wanted the peace of mind. I figured I had spent a ton on a custom tank and the steel stand was cheaper than Miracles to get the warranty it was worth it.

Front view
IMG_3580 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:13 PM   #16
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
They didn't offer a wooden stand option that I know of. I also don't think they extend the warranty on do it yourself stands if that is the reason you are thinking wood over steel. If you notice I added gussets so that I could skin the stand if I ever wanted to but since I have a dedicated fish room and my tank sits behind the wall I haven't skinned it yet. My last couple of stands were wooden but steel is not bad. Sturdy as all get out and gives you some options. Check around at local fabricator if one is in your area...much cheaper than you would expect and I overdone it with the thickness just because I wanted the peace of mind. I figured I had spent a ton on a custom tank and the steel stand was cheaper than Miracles to get the warranty it was worth it.

Front view
Yea some people will skin them with wood and countersink magnets into the wood too so the skin can be removed like a panel..

This is what I would love to do...

Unread 01/25/2019, 08:16 AM   #17
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Envisions
They only do acylic and I refuse to ever own an acrylic tank again.

Night owl, thats almost the same size Im looking for! Thanks for posting! How long has it been running and is it on a slab or on a second level above a basement?

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:56 AM   #18
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderG60 View Post
They only do acylic and I refuse to ever own an acrylic tank again.

Night owl, thats almost the same size Im looking for! Thanks for posting! How long has it been running and is it on a slab or on a second level above a basement?
EnderG60 - Sorry for the late response I was out of town celebrating my birthday. My tank has been running since March of 2018. I will be rolling up on my one year mark here soon. I was in no rush with the tank so I only recently really started seeing any coral growth in the tank. I did a build thread here as well so you can see the progress if you wish. My tank is located in the basement and I on the slab.