Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Ironwood
Registered Member

Instant ocean causing ph to go up

I'm new to reefing and have set up a 20 gallon QT tank and a 72 gallon bow front tank. My tap water has a ph level of 7.6. When I add instant ocean to my water it goes up to 8.8. Has only one seen this before? I'm not sure what I should do. Both tanks look the same.

Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 04:21 PM   #2
rwb500
Registered Member

yes, salt mix does that. it's probably not actually all the way up at 8.8. I suspect test kit error.

rwb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Ironwood
Registered Member

High ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb500 View Post
yes, salt mix does that. it's probably not actually all the way up at 8.8. I suspect test kit error.
So do I need to use a buffer to lower it? I have tested both tanks a couple of times and it looks like 8.8 to me. I did a partial water change and it went down to 7.6 but after I brought the salinity up to 1.025 it went back up to 8.8.

Unread 03/13/2015, 05:24 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

salt mixes are designed to be mixed with ro/di water/distilled. If you mix it this way, your alkalinity, ph, magnesium and calcium will be good. If you use tap water, your readings could be very high..... especially alkalinity. My tap water has an alkalinity of 5 dkh. if I used tap water I would end up with an alkalinity of around 17 in my water change water. ro/di water has an alkalinity of 0, so when you add to that 12 dkh you have water with 12dkh (this is what the salt mix has by itself).

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 06:29 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Aerating the saltwater will bring the pH down to normal. If you're doing small changes, even water at 8.8 is fine, although the pH will be lower after 2-3 hours.

Unread 03/13/2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
salt mixes are designed to be mixed with ro/di water/distilled. If you mix it this way, your alkalinity, ph, magnesium and calcium will be good. If you use tap water, your readings could be very high..... especially alkalinity. My tap water has an alkalinity of 5 dkh. if I used tap water I would end up with an alkalinity of around 17 in my water change water. ro/di water has an alkalinity of 0, so when you add to that 12 dkh you have water with 12dkh (this is what the salt mix has by itself).
I am using RO/DI water. My alk is high also around 17. Is it possible that my RO/DI unit isn't working correctly. The membrane and filters are all new.

Unread 03/13/2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Aerating the saltwater will bring the pH down to normal. If you're doing small changes, even water at 8.8 is fine, although the pH will be lower after 2-3 hours.
What do you mean by small changes? Small water changes? 8.8 seem very high I don't think that I would put a fish in water with ph that high. Thanks

Unread 03/13/2015, 07:19 PM   #8
rwb500
Registered Member

don't worry about pH. Worry about alkalinity and the pH problems will solve themselves. 17 dkH is way too high.

rwb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 07:26 PM   #9
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb500 View Post
don't worry about pH. Worry about alkalinity and the pH problems will solve themselves. 17 dkH is way too high.
How would you lower the KH? Thanks

Unread 03/13/2015, 08:05 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

In most tanks, the dKH will drop on its own. I'd get a second opinion on the test kit, but the more common stealth sources of alkalinity are pH buffers (which all must add alkalinity) and tap water. Your RO filter might have failed, but I doubt it. You could use the alkalinity kit on the output to see what's happening.

Unread 03/13/2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
In most tanks, the dKH will drop on its own. I'd get a second opinion on the test kit, but the more common stealth sources of alkalinity are pH buffers (which all must add alkalinity) and tap water. Your RO filter might have failed, but I doubt it. You could use the alkalinity kit on the output to see what's happening.
I'll check it out thanks for the help.

Unread 03/14/2015, 05:34 PM   #12
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
I am using RO/DI water. My alk is high also around 17. Is it possible that my RO/DI unit isn't working correctly. The membrane and filters are all new.
test the alkalinity of your ro/di water, it should be ...0....

If it's more, that is where your excess alkalinity is coming from. If it's 0 and you're getting 17dkh in your make-up water then either the test kit is off or you have an odd/bad batch of salt mix.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 10:06 AM   #13
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
test the alkalinity of your ro/di water, it should be ...0....

If it's more, that is where your excess alkalinity is coming from. If it's 0 and you're getting 17dkh in your make-up water then either the test kit is off or you have an odd/bad batch of salt mix.
I tested the water directly out of the RO/ DI filter and KH <1 PO3,4 = .25, my DT has a ph of 8.3 now and kH is 18 drops. I doubt it's the test kit because it seems to measure it correctly out of the rode unit. My QT tank has the same readings. Thanks

Unread 03/15/2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
I tested the water directly out of the RO/ DI filter and KH <1 PO3,4 = .25, my DT has a ph of 8.3 now and kH is 18 drops. I doubt it's the test kit because it seems to measure it correctly out of the rode unit. My QT tank has the same readings. Thanks
RODI unit

Unread 03/15/2015, 04:19 PM   #15
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

What is the salinity?

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 06:09 PM   #16
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
What do you mean by small changes? Small water changes? 8.8 seem very high I don't think that I would put a fish in water with ph that high. Thanks
Sorry, I missed this question. Anything around 15% or less should be fine, even with water at pH 8.8.

Unread 03/15/2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
what is the salinity?

Unread 03/15/2015, 07:28 PM   #18
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Well IO should mix to about 10 or 11 dkh not 17 at 1.025 when allowed to mix for a few hours . Perhaps you have a bad batch ,testing error or the salt you have has lost it's homogeneity through settling.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 06:49 PM   #19
RWH
Registered Member

I have a problem with Ammonia in my salt water mix? Instant Ocean & Using RO water and TDS is 0.00.
This is my first set up and I just filled the tank this weekend..Thought it was odd for ammonia to be present right away, so I tested my premixed water. It has been circulating for over 24 hours and the ammonia level is still at 0.25? Anyone else ever have this happen?
Should I be concerned?

RWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 02:14 AM   #20
bertoni
RC Mod

To Reef Central

That's normal for most or all salt mixes. They tend to have some ammonia in them. The level should be safe, but you could add a bit of Prime or Amquel if you're worried.

Tags
72 bow, instant ocean, water chemistry