Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2017, 08:50 PM   #1
shiftline
Registered Member

Help: orange blotches on yellow tang

Hey guys. The last few weeks my yellow tang has acquired theses orange blotches.

The tank gets fed nori and mysis daily.
I read overdosing vodka could possibly cause this.. I cut my dose in half about 10 days ago incase it was related. Not sure what else it could be.

Any ideas?

No other fish has this issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 02:12 AM   #2
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Your tang looks like mine. An expert here told me, it's Brooklynella or Uronema. Gave him 3 FORMALIN MS dips (once every other day). He will recover, but remember treat your water.

Best of luck

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (49.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Tanthaitrung; 01/29/2017 at 02:51 AM.
Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 08:56 PM   #3
shiftline
Registered Member

Hard to say if it was the cause but I quit vodka dosing and it cleared up after a few weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Hard to say if it was the cause but I quit vodka dosing and it cleared up after a few weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you're right. I stopped NO3:PO4, he recovered himself

Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Posseidon
Registered Member

Same issue with my Yellow Tang

I know this is an old post. But, there are just too many varying advices on the web for this issue and many of them are strange and even as extreme to tear down the tank or dose antibiotics. I think people should be more careful advising such extreme measures as someone could try that and might risk ruining years of hard work on their tanks. Hence, I thought I'll revive this thread a little and share my experiences.

I too have healthy Yellow Tang that has been around for months. However, recently it's got these reddish-brownish coloration its body near the tail. Other than that, it's fine and eats well. Just to let everyone know, the fish was doing fine even when Nitrates were as high as 25ppm and had no discoloration.

The only new change is that I've started dosing Red Sea NoPox (Carbon dosing) about a month ago to bring Nitrates and Phosphates down. I'll stop that for now and see if I get the same positive result as you all.

Posseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2020, 11:48 PM   #6
Posseidon
Registered Member

Update: When I stopped carbon dosing, I did notice some improvement in the Yellow Tang. But on the flip side, my nitrates were increasing again quite fast. At this rate, my Tang may get well but my nitrates might become too high. So, I had to try alternative.

Eventually, I started treating the tank with “Brightwell Fish Recover M” and resumed my carbon dosing. I chose this product because it’s not antibiotics and safe for reef tank. And my Yellow Tang immediately started showing improvement and my corals did not seem to mind it. I have softies and LPS. I’m still treating her and my nitrates are going down again.

Last edited by Posseidon; 07/08/2020 at 12:22 AM.
Unread 07/26/2020, 12:00 AM   #7
Posseidon
Registered Member

Update: The treatment with “Brightwell Fish Recover M” showed improvements temporarily. So, when I stopped the treatment the red spots came back in my Yellow Tang. All the corals and other fish are fine though and the product seems good. But maybe it’s not good enough for my case. So, now I’m changing the product to “API Pimafix”. It helps with both fungal and bacterial infections. Hope this works for good. I’ll see how it goes.

Unread 08/04/2020, 12:19 AM   #8
Posseidon
Registered Member

Update: 7 days with API PIMAFIX worked! The instructions say to turn off skimmer during treatment. That can be interpreted in different ways. Well, it’s difficult for me to go without skimmer for a week. So, I added PIMAFIX at sleep time. And for the full night I used to keep skimmer off while running air stone in the display tank. And during the day I turned back on the skimmer and switched off the air stone. I continued with my carbon dosing along with the treatment. The Yellow Tang looks healthy again. All the LPS and Softies didn’t mind PIMAFIX during the treatment. And my Nitrates stayed low. And the air stone is out after the treatment period of 7 days. Hope this helps for others experiencing something similar.