Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2015, 02:19 PM   #1201
nawilson89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I got a confirmation email; the fish come tomorrow! I ordered from KP Aquatics, formerly SeaLife Inc. This is my first time ordering from them, but I've heard good things.

I can't even imagine how different my tank will be, after these new additions. For one thing, it will be a lot more interesting to look at! Can't wait!
You told me about them! They are bookmarked in my browser under my huge folder 'Fish Stuff'. I'll be ordering from them next year.

Are you going to get Chalk Bass also eventually?

Current Tank Info: 29g Macro Algae tank
nawilson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 03:35 PM   #1202
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Chalk Bass are on my list. I just don't know how many, or when. I'd like to do a school of five or so.

First, I want to see how the seven new fish I'm adding tomorrow do. I imagine it will take a while for the ecosystem to adjust. Hopefully things don't go as badly as the last time I added fish!

As I said earlier, I have no idea how things will change. Just knowing that change is coming should help. I'll start out feeding sparingly, so the tank can adjust, without triggering an algae outbreak. And hopefully, the detrivores will adjust to the increased PL (poo load). We shall see!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 09:12 PM   #1203
karimwassef
Registered Member

PL? a new unit of measure? LOL

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 01:16 AM   #1204
deepercon
Registered Member

Hey Michael, how'd you find that kp aquatics place? It looks like they have some nice stuff!

It looks like i'll have to wait to get some things from them

Current Tank Info: 30g&14g
deepercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 09:01 AM   #1205
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think I first heard of them when they were Sea Life. Someone was setting up a SW planted tank and he used them. There are several good collectors in Florida, so if you're looking for caribbean species, they can save you some money. This is my first time buying from them, I think, so I'll hold off on the seal of approval, until I see the fish.

One possible complication for morning delivery today is the weather. Right now it's 15 degrees and snowing like a banshee. There's already a foot of snow on the ground, and at the rate it's going, it'll be close to two! They do a great job of plowing the roads, but the snow has to let up, so they can get ahead of it.

I hope they added heat packs!

Unread 12/15/2015, 10:01 AM   #1206
sam.basye
Registered Member

Your gonna get a box of multicolored fishsicles if there aren't any heat packs. Lol

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 10:19 AM   #1207
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know! I'm freaking out!

Unread 12/15/2015, 03:14 PM   #1208
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My fish are here! Thanks, KP Aquatics!

Ironically, the small blue tang looked to be in the best shape of all of them. They sent me an extra gramma! I got them all acclimated and released in the display, rather than the quarantine tank. The QT needs a little more time, and a fish in there, to get it ready. I'll get a chromis in there asap.

So, the grammas went right for the wall. They're all hiding out, for now. The gramma caves (TM) appear to be a success!

The tang is exploring and nibbling about. More to come!

Unread 12/15/2015, 04:52 PM   #1209
sam.basye
Registered Member

That's awesome! They knew you made them caves before they even showed up. Pics and or video please.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 12/15/2015, 10:45 PM   #1210
karimwassef
Registered Member

pics pics pics!

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 12:27 PM   #1211
nawilson89
Registered Member

I'm glad the Royal Gramma enjoy their caves!

Unread 12/16/2015, 10:44 PM   #1212
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 12/16/2015, 11:00 PM   #1213
sam.basye
Registered Member

Very cool!
Strange how they grow into their eye color.

Name it yet??

Foam Wall

Last edited by sam.basye; 12/16/2015 at 11:19 PM.
Unread 12/16/2015, 11:35 PM   #1214
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh man, this fish is pretty!

Being sociable.

He's pretty small. Close to 3 inches.

Love those blue accents.

One more, with the nem.

Well I had fun, watching the new fish today. The grammas are still pretty shy, but they are way cool, the way they surf the current, oriented to the wall, and their constant interaction. A sight to behold! I'll try to get pics of them soon.

The tang is much less shy, but rarely stops moving, so it's hard to get a good pic. He cruises around, tasting the local flora. Doesn't seem too terribly interested in the caulerpa yet.

Unread 12/17/2015, 06:29 AM   #1215
vlangel
Registered Member

Very nice pics of your new fish. The splash of yellow against the natural greens and reds of your plants is beautiful. I can't wait to see the royal grammas.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2015, 10:27 AM   #1216
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, vlangel!

He seems to like the attention, but rarely sits still. I took about 100 pics to get 5 half decent ones. Of course, I'll keep trying. I really love doing it! Plus, I think it's very helpful for all of us to post more pics.

The grammas are still pretty elusive, but they seem to be settling in. I'm hoping to see them all out at once, but so far, the most I've seen is 5. When I approach the tank, they tend to hide. I've been sitting close to the tank to get them used to me. Some of them hide, some stay out, so it's just a matter of time. I'll try to get some pics of them, maybe today. They are fun to watch. The way they move, staying close to the wall, looks like very natural behavior.

It's funny, being in the hobby for 30 years or so, I never kept a single royal gramma. I guess their being the most popular and durable fish available, didn't have enough 'snob appeal' for me! And always seeing them singly in dealers' tanks, was less appealing. Having a harem of them cranks up my interest, watching them all interact, and hopefully I'll get to witness spawning activity (bow chika chika bow bow).

Looking at my fish list, I don't think I've kept ANY of these caribbean species. Coming from Florida, I guess none of them were 'exotic' enough for me. Now, living in Colorado, I'm fascinated with this Caribbean Biotope!

Unread 12/17/2015, 10:32 AM   #1217
nawilson89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks, vlangel!

He seems to like the attention, but rarely sits still. I took about 100 pics to get 5 half decent ones. Of course, I'll keep trying. I really love doing it! Plus, I think it's very helpful for all of us to post more pics.

The grammas are still pretty elusive, but they seem to be settling in. I'm hoping to see them all out at once, but so far, the most I've seen is 5. When I approach the tank, they tend to hide. I've been sitting close to the tank to get them used to me. Some of them hide, some stay out, so it's just a matter of time. I'll try to get some pics of them, maybe today. They are fun to watch. The way they move, staying close to the wall, looks like very natural behavior.

It's funny, being in the hobby for 30 years or so, I never kept a single royal gramma. I guess their being the most popular and durable fish available, didn't have enough 'snob appeal' for me! And always seeing them singly in dealers' tanks, was less appealing. Having a harem of them cranks up my interest, watching them all interact, and hopefully I'll get to witness spawning activity (bow chika chika bow bow).

Looking at my fish list, I don't think I've kept ANY of these caribbean species. Coming from Florida, I guess none of them were 'exotic' enough for me. Now, living in Colorado, I'm fascinated with this Caribbean Biotope!
I'll add a +1 about spawning activity.

Unread 12/17/2015, 12:21 PM   #1218
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ok, I got some gramma pics! They're not too good yet, but it's a start.

Also, I can finally account for all 7 of them today. I'd only seen 5 at once before. The last 2 consist of a 'rogue' fish living in the holes at the left end of the tank, in the bright light, and another that got stuck behind the wall. I've tried to free him to no avail. I'll try again today.

Here are the pics:

Unread 12/17/2015, 12:24 PM   #1219
nawilson89
Registered Member

Oh my goodness. I love this. Okay. That's it. I need a bigger tank. Gramma harem is a must.

Unread 12/17/2015, 05:08 PM   #1220
cksss
Registered Member

its amazing how good a school of royal look together! now i want a bigger tank

cksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2015, 05:31 PM   #1221
saltwater sam
Registered Member

They are going to live spoiled lives! Everything looks great Michael, looking better and better every day!

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2015, 06:13 PM   #1222
vlangel
Registered Member

Those are beautiful pics! They look like something a diver would get with an underwater camera. I have a single royal gramma in my seahorse tank but I can certainly see the harem appeal.

Unread 12/17/2015, 06:51 PM   #1223
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh wow, thanks guys! They are pretty cool aren't they?

Update on the behind the wall gramma. I was able to pull the wall out a smidge. Sure enough, she came out. Then she went back in! I guess she sees it as her cave. Hopefully, she'll find a better place in the future.

Unread 12/17/2015, 11:50 PM   #1224
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Whew! Going from 4 fish to 12 is a bit of change! So much to watch! The wife even likes them.

After observing the rogue gramma, I'm thinking it may be a male, or just a female who's not sure she wants to join the harem. It has mingled a little, but returns to the bright side of the tank. I wonder if it was changing to male, if it could go back to female. It's a bit of a soap opera.

The grammas, in general, are venturing out from the wall more and more. I love the way they swim! The swift current keeps them busy, but it appears almost effortless for them-and so natural looking.

Unread 12/18/2015, 05:36 AM   #1225
vlangel
Registered Member

Michael, are you able to capture that on video?

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass