Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

what parts of RODI do you change when TDS starts creepin?

So Ive had this 4 stage rodi system for 3 months now from BRS and i'm no longer getting 0 tds readings.. what part of the system needs replacing to get back to 0 tds readings?

Thanks all

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:31 PM   #2
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
So Ive had this 4 stage rodi system for 3 months now from BRS and i'm no longer getting 0 tds readings.. what part of the system needs replacing to get back to 0 tds readings?

Thanks all
It sounds like you need to change the DI cartridge. This is the last cartridge on the unit.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:31 PM   #3
stingythingy45
Registered Member

What is the TDS now? I change the sediment,both carbon, and the di. Kit is not bad from BRS.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:38 PM   #4
tomreefer
Registered Member

I change all filters every 6 months; Clean housing with bleach.

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 04:05 AM   #5
cincyjim
Registered Member

I change all the filters myself.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 05:03 AM   #6
rvareef
In Memoriam

Quote:

Thanks all
how hard is it creepin

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:04 AM   #7
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

when i see anything at or above 2ppm, i change the 3 main filters in the unit. carbon, sediment, and DI.

usually about once every 6 months or so, i change the RO membrane as well.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:16 AM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

If TDS is above zero, then the DI needs changed.

Since they are cheap, it's a good time to replace the other filters.

The RO membrane, however, should last a long time (years).

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
when i see anything at or above 2ppm, i change the 3 main filters in the unit. carbon, sediment, and DI.

usually about once every 6 months or so, i change the RO membrane as well.
when you say 2 is that 002 PPM? o2r 200PPM.. ??

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 10:20 AM   #10
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
2 ppm...or 002ppm...or 000002.000ppm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
2ppm

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 10:36 AM   #11
MyMocha
Registered Member

I always change the DI when my ro/di raises above 2 ppm.That's the one you change out the most. If that doesnt bring it to 0, I replace the others. I've only change the membrane 3 or 4 times in hmm..many many years... 15?

"OOPS! 🤔 Regroup, seek suggestions, learn, Go!

Current Tank Info: 32 Gal coralife biocube DSB for Jawfish
MyMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 10:53 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The filters that reduce TDS are the RO membrane and the DI cartridge..

The others (prefilters) are really about protecting the RO membrane and have very little if any effect on TDS..
As the prefilters get clogged/used the pressure drops and then RO membrane performance suffers..

As stated typically people replace their prefilters at the same time as the DI resins but there are times when the DI could be depleted faster than the prefilters are used up..

As I only make like 5-10G a week if that I replace my prefilters and DI every year and a half now.. I was making more before and changing them every year..
My incoming TDS is also only 60-70ppm and our water is pretty clean/sediment free,etc...

You can typically tell that the prefilters are exhausted by watching premembrane/post prefilter pressure (if you have a gauge there) or just simply knowing how fast you are making RO water and change it when your rejection rate gets greater than you want to accept..

Unread 07/16/2018, 01:07 PM   #13
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
when TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) measure AT or ABOVE 2PPM (Parts Per Million) as measured by my inline TDS meter, i change the filters.

leading 0's have no effect on the number. we're using integer types here, not strings.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 01:24 PM   #14
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks all
Sounds like you have a new RO/DI . Good choice. No more trips to the LFS. Wooo Hooooo
When your TDS is over 0, this means your DI resin can not rid you water of dissolved solids.
At this point I would change out the pre-filters and the DI resin. Pre filters on amazon or ebay are dirt cheap. The charcoal one cost a bit more and you might not have to change it as often depending on whats in your water. I change mine about every 5th time.
Make a note as to when this was. Keep a log of when you do this. When you notice that you are changing the pre-filters and DI a lot sooner than normal its time to look at changing your RO cartridge.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 05:58 AM   #15
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Also, a small note, make sure you get carbon filters that not only filter chlorine, but chloramines as well. Before I made the change, the unfiltered chloramines caused my di resin to be consumed faster than normal

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 06:32 AM   #16
PatW
Registered Member

I agree with the others. It is probably your DI cartridge that is depleted. It almost certainly is not the RO filter. I have had a BRS RO filter for over three years and it is still fine and I make quite a bit of RODI water.

I would suggest that you get the BRS color changing resin when you repack the cartridge. The resin changes from blue to tan as it is depleted. It costs a bit more but I like it.

PatW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 08:05 AM   #17
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB2005 View Post
Also, a small note, make sure you get carbon filters that not only filter chlorine, but chloramines as well. Before I made the change, the unfiltered chloramines caused my di resin to be consumed faster than normal
Assuming your city uses chloramines of course..
Not all do..

Unread 07/19/2018, 09:24 AM   #18
Conchman
Registered Member

Ditto, resin. When my TDS moves off of 0, I change. Rest I change every 6, one only annually.

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 11:05 PM   #19
reeefninja
Registered Member

Most probably do resin

reeefninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2018, 01:23 AM   #20
laverda
Registered Member

It sounds like a lot of people are spending a lot of money replacing filter cartridges way more often than needed. When the tds increases it in no way indicates your first two stages need to be replaced in most cases. Unless your making a lot of water you DI should last longer than 3 months. There are many thing that affect the TDS coming out of your membrane and there for how fast your DI resin is depleted. Some of those things are, source water TDS, water tempature, water pressure, rejection ratio of your membrane, if you flush your membrane and for how long, if you produce water in small batches at a time and CO2 levels in your water.
I used to get years out of my resin. Recently I started going through them very quickly even though I make substantially less water now. My best guess is the city change to primarily ground water as my CO2 levels are what is using my DI resin up. I verified this by taking a water sample from before my DI cartridge and measuring the PH and got 7.12. Than I airatted the sample and the PH tested at 8.6.
You need to at least test you water before it enters you DI cartridge to get an idea what the problem might be. I have a fairly complex RO/DI with 2 prefilters, 2 carbon blocks, 2 membraines, a booster pump and 2 DI cartridges. So the cost of replacing the prefilter and carbon blocks adds up especially if they are not the problem as in the case of excess CO2.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote