Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2012, 01:36 PM   #51
noritren
Registered Member

it was 1:10 h2'o2 tank water....the difference this time was that i added some buffer to raise alkalinity in the dipping box

noritren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 01:59 PM   #52
noritren
Registered Member

it's surely pox...small white dots that increase in size causing erosion in the tissue.
1:10 h202 3%, tank water in a box and dipping for 20 minutes.
but i think is not a definitive cure, because after 3 4 months the problem come back

edit: I forgot to mention to gently brush the polyps with hands, possibly scratched by parrot to achieve a better result

Unread 01/01/2013, 05:30 PM   #53
SDW
Registered Member

I recently was cleaning my tank after my heater went out and everything died. After this happened, I started getting a algea infestation, with lots of green hair algea. So, I thought the best way to get it back to normal would be to clean the rocks with a little elbow grease and a toothbrush. I took the rocks out and started cleaning, and like I said earlier, everything was "dead". After about 20 to 30 minutes I started sneezing uncontrollably, and then after about an hour or so, I started having shortness of breath, and very shallow rapid breathing. I thought if I just lay down for a bit it would get better. After another 1 hour, I couldn't catch my breath and decided I better go to the hospital. The usual tests were done, EKG, xray, labs, all negative. By the next am, my labs indicated I was septic and needed to be transferred to the ICU. A day later and a lot of fluids to keep my blood pressure up, I was moved back to a regular room. 3 days later I was able to go home, and a week later I was about 95% back to normal, still occasional shortness of breath with activity. I think that I inhaled some palytoxin from the "dead zoas" on the rocks while I was cleaning. My LFS owner was the one who put 2+2 for me...THANKS Dan!

SDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 06:27 AM   #54
billdogg
Registered Member

And now for my .02.

Had to move my 60g cube yesterday to make way for new carpet. The main rock in the tank is siliconed to the bottom (who knew pumice floats???) The entire top of the rock is covered with both zoanthids and palythoas. Brushing against them was unavoidable as I cleared out all the loose rock, but I gave it no thought because I have never been bothered before. By the time I was done, my right arm was bright red, and I got several small scrapes as a bonus. This morning (about 18hrs later) my arm is very sensitive to touch, and it feels like it has a severe sunburn. The skin around all scrapes is a puckered white (palytoxin being a vasoconstrictor, I'm not surprised). I'll be keeping an eye on it as the day progresses. If it seems to be getting worse, I'll be off the the Urgent Care, where they will not have a clue. I have already printed out several articles regarding incidental exposure to take with me to help guide them with diagnosis/treatment.

Maybe gloves when I move the tank back to the living room????

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 08:08 PM   #55
GroktheCube
Registered Member

I've always been a fan of nitrile gloves, to protect yourself from you cnidarians and vice-versa. If need be, you can get shoulder-length gloves.

In your case, it may just be stings, not palytoxin. Mild cnidarian stings are often not immediately noticeable.

GroktheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2013, 07:01 PM   #56
TrueIrishFan616
Registered Member

Not sure if I had an issue with this poison, but the other day I was placing my first zoa frag in my new tank. I had never heard of any poison with these before so i just used my bare hand. This frag was not on a stone or frag rock. It was just a sorry looking piece of zoa that my lfs gave me for free because it looked like it was doomed. I took it home and hand placed it in a little nook on a piece of rock. It now looks great and has tripled in size in 2 weeks. However, that night, IU was playing their last game in the tournament and when I get nervous I tend to chew on my finger nails. It started with me sweating. Then I got chills. Then I got very nauseous. My tounge was a little numbish and my beer was starting to taste very metallic. So I said screw it...I'm goin to bed. It lasted for about 4 hours. Sucked! I now wear gloves, and I'll start wearing eye protection from this point forward. Thanks for this thread. Very very informative.

TrueIrishFan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2013, 07:28 PM   #57
pjb9166
Registered Member

I just have a frag that I purchased today. About 15 polyps. I had handled it a few times trying to place it to get best view.
well a few hrs after my sinuses are burning, eyes burn and headache. Could this be symptoms?.

Paul

pjb9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2013, 09:04 AM   #58
noritren
Registered Member

poisoned again...thirth time! the second time, i was only cleaning some rocks with brush, and after 1 hour i ended up in ER.
After that, a local authority for biotoxin monitoring takes away my paly and analyze it: palytoxin at high level and Vibrio Vulnificus bacteria inside polips.
Last week poisoned again (Creatine phosphokinase above normal confirm palytoxin effect), so i discovered my other zoanthid (that i had for 10 years without any problem, also while fragmenting, brushing,..) is toxic at high level too.
Perhaps bacteria have made it poisonous as well?

Unread 04/22/2013, 06:10 PM   #59
NewbyReefer
Registered Member

Got shot in the eye on saturday by a purple zoa. Eye burns and feels like someone keeps poking me in it. Also got some in my mouth but instantly rinsed with straight peroxide. So I didn't get sick, just a messed up eye.

Yes I've been to the hospital.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gal Super High Mix Reef w/120watte LED

Last edited by NewbyReefer; 04/22/2013 at 06:17 PM.
NewbyReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 11:17 AM   #60
noritren
Registered Member

fourth time...this time i found and removed some childs of the paly's colony removed months ago. I took them with gloves and then put them in a small box with tank water waiting for bring them to a lab. This time only the exhalation was enough to poisoning me. Asthma-like symptoms and fever at 40° C. I avoided to go to ER because i think that this time they would call the psychiatric care

Unread 06/29/2013, 08:06 PM   #61
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Arrow

Good to have you guys reporting the poisoning here!!
Thanks very much for taking the time.

It would be great if you could post PICTURES OF THE ZOANTHIDS you are talking about, beside your injuries, so we would have a collection of images to know what exactly organisms we're talking about.

Please avoid identify them only with their usual "cartoon names".

It is not late to post your pictures and relate them to your past post number (on the top right of every post).

Thanks, share the info and keep this rolling!!!

Be safe out there!!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2013, 07:44 PM   #62
toontjuh
Registered Member

I've been getting sick for the past 8 or 9 months or so. At first didn't even think about my ugly brown palys which i've rearanged for way too many times. After each time handling them the symptoms would get way worse.

Numb fingers. Tingeling all over my arms. A heavy metal taste in my mouth. Drinking anything was like drinking rusty old water. Heavy fevers which lasted for days and days. My breathing was terrible. Lots of clear mucus. Unable to tell wether i was warm or cold. Constant migraines. Waking up in the middle of the night with full body cramps. Fainting. Emergency trips to the nightcare. The list carries on.

ended up staying home for a few months, but with nothing to do i kept busy with my aquarium.
finally i had terrible trouble even walking. Picking up a glas of water to drink was way too troublesome. Very confused. Unable to eat. Constantly throwing up. Constantly sleeping, sometimes for several days. Or unable to sleep and awake for several days.

as soon as i touched my tank water the entire proces would start again. I just couldn't put two and two together.

when the weight started dropping faster and faster and after so many tests without zero results, even brainscans and x rays. I started selling my corals, because i wasn't able to care for them.Now after not having touched any type of pally or zoa for almost 2 months things are getting better.

they could never find out what was wrong, all test result left them clueless. I never got a definitive answer if it was my pally's. All i know is the huge difference i am feelling.

reading through this post made me realize how careless i was with them.

i even let the rocks with pally's dry in my room for days and then just scraped them off with water or boiled them off. Constantly getting a dose of palytoxin.

toontjuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 08:05 AM   #63
jnotjane
Registered Member

I know this is an older thread, but I'll chime in on my experience from about 18 months ago. I keep a 29G Biocube and at the time I lived in Phoenix and had several nice colonies of zoas and palys, along with a number of other lps corals. I had just gone through a rough patch in my life (lost a parent, 2 pets and a close famnily friend in the span of a few months) and in my depression I had let my tank go. I finally got around to cleaning the tank up, which involved moving corals around and lots of slime.

The first night I was sick, it hit suddenly and we thought I had food poisoning. I threw up until there was nothing left, then kept throwing up. After that initial bout, I would throw up about 45 minutes after eating anything remotely solid. Over the course of the next 2 months, multiple ER visits and every test the drs could think of, the last test they finally performed was an upper gastric test that showed my upper stomach muscles were not functioning. Basically, the nerves in my upper stomach were paralyzed.

Fortunately, after 2 months, the muscles gradually regained function. It took about 6 months before I could eat normally and I still after 18 months have to be careful with certain foods, but I'm pretty much fully recovered. The drs. never did figure out a definitive diagnosis, all blolod test showed no sign of an infection or other pathogen. But the liver function indicated I may have been poisoned. At one point things were so bad that my husband and I actually discussed what was to be done if I died (I NEVER want to see that look on his face agian!).

The best guess the drs. had is that I somehow ingested a small amount of palytoxin by eating or drinking something after cleaning my tank. I now am extremely cautious of handling any corals and scrub down with lots of soap and hot water and then wait a bit before eating or drinking anything. Was it palytoxin? Was it something else in the water? I don't know for sure, but I'm not taking anymore chances.

jnotjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2015, 02:49 PM   #64
r1racer
Registered Member

For the last week I have been moving my rocks around and plucking off vermatids bare handed. Caught what I thought was a cold for three days. The next day I go back into the tank because my rasta zoas were tipped over on their frag plug. They were clearly stressed and I moved them...I touched them as I felt the slime.

Fast forward to this morning and my left upper eye lid was swollen and still is a bit 14 hours later. Also, when I drink water underneath my lip on the inside of my mouth goes numb and tingles. My hands are cold and I am getting tingles from my shoulder to my fingertips and developing a minor headache.

I also had wheezing for about 15 minutes last night about 10 minutes after I touched them.

Unread 02/07/2015, 12:19 AM   #65
650-IS350
Registered Member

numbness and tingling in the mouth is usually signs of poisoning. same as metallic taste.

To everyone ALWAYS use Protective equipment. Safety glasses, gloves, mask. In the case of any squirting. Do not take things for granted.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 08:11 PM   #66
mystikal
Registered Member

curious to know how long these symptoms may have lasted for?
12 hours-One day-two day-one month-two months?

Unread 09/03/2017, 07:22 PM   #67
mfin77
Registered Member

Which corals are poisonous? When people say palys on here do you mean zoos? I'd like to stay away from the poisonous corals

mfin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 11:07 AM   #68
kinomatika
Registered Member

just had an exciting run-in with palytoxin myself.

got some live rock the other day and didn't realise that one of them was just totally encrusted with palythoas. i'm actually really new to the hobby so i didn't know what they were at all and thought they were probably just very small aiptasia. i pull the rock, dunk it in the utility sink full of water as hot as i can stand, and start picking these itty bitty palythoas off the rock with planting tweezers.

that was at about 7am today, and it's noon now. i feel alright except for shortness of breath and i can't quite inhale all the way, sort of the same feeling you get when you inhale water after swimming.

no headaches, runny nose, tingling or numbness, though i did have a mild metallic taste in my mouth for a bit. i'm gonna take some benadryl and if it doesn't get better by tomorrow i'll go to the doc.

kinomatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 11:32 AM   #69
Evo_1983
Registered Member

Thanks

I just had to register to say thanks to the people in this topic, new to the hobby and just had my first experience with paly after reading horror stories online I made sure I used gloves etc, but very worried I have a leave burn on my arm from cooking.

Pretty sure I got nothing in it but been feeling anxious all day since, now I’m unsure if it’s just the horror stories
Or a mild dose of paly, no other symptoms though so hopefully no biggy but wanted to thank you all for a informative post

Evo_1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 01:09 PM   #70
Rispa
Registered Member

Can anyone share the varieties that they're having this effect from? I know that summer supposed to be more potent than others and it would be good to hear which ones are which.

Rispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 03:08 PM   #71
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo_1983 View Post
I made sure I used gloves etc, but very worried I have a leave burn on my arm from cooking.
not exactly sure what you mean by that statement, especially 'from cooking'

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 04:21 PM   #72
Evo_1983
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
not exactly sure what you mean by that statement, especially 'from cooking'
It should have said “large burn from cooking” being a large open wound something which would make the paly toxin enter the body with ease.

Anyway 12 hours later I feel fine so I think I was more worried about the toxin than actually ever affected.

Evo_1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 05:16 PM   #73
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Ohhh, I was worried that you were ‘cooking’ the rocks, which could release toxins thru out your house.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote