Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/29/2019, 11:44 AM   #1
daveutile7
Registered Member

fish stocking

Hello community,

I currently have a 65 gallon fish only setup. inhabitants include one yellow tang, two clowns, one pygmy angel, one flame angel, one emerald crab, one turbo snail, and a starfish. I wanted to give my tank more of a reef look by adding a schooling/ shoaling fish. Are 10 green chromis too much for this size tank? Are there any fish you would suggest or a new more suited to my tank?

daveutile7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2019, 05:43 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Pajama cardinals are cool schooling fish...chromis fish can be aggressive at times..

Unread 09/30/2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveutile7 View Post
Hello community,

I currently have a 65 gallon fish only setup. inhabitants include one yellow tang, two clowns, one pygmy angel, one flame angel, one emerald crab, one turbo snail, and a starfish. I wanted to give my tank more of a reef look by adding a schooling/ shoaling fish. Are 10 green chromis too much for this size tank? Are there any fish you would suggest or a new more suited to my tank?
In a 65, 10 chromis will be 9 chromis will be 8 chromis.....and so on....

Seems a lot of chromis are sick (uronema) these days, exercise great caution.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Take your time, watch the community at all times of the day, the clowns will patrol their territory before nightfall but does not match with reef dwelling swimmers, make sure you take time to observe how much each fish fill the turf before adding the next neighbour.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 05:21 PM   #5
daveutile7
Registered Member

All my fish appear to get along fairly well. Definately dont want any of the chromis fighting each other or other fish if they are agressive. The cardinals are nice but expensive at larger numbers.

Unread 10/03/2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveutile7 View Post
All my fish appear to get along fairly well. Definately dont want any of the chromis fighting each other or other fish if they are agressive. The cardinals are nice but expensive at larger numbers.
They don't usually bother other fish, but appear to take the pecking order thing to far at times. The losses are not fast, maybe several months, but I have noticed (and maybe it's just me) that I never can keep a set beyond a year.

Unread 10/03/2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with a blue tang, some kind of purple Wrasse, two clowns, and 13 Chromises, I bought 13 Chromises six months ago, and I still have 13 Chromises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cedjeffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 09:58 PM   #8
daveutile7
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Cedjeffski;25622175]I have a 75 gallon reef tank with a blue tang, some kind of purple Wrasse, two clowns, and 13 Chromises, I bought 13 Chromises six months ago, and I still have 13 Chromises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I love this tank. I like how the chromis really make it look like an ocean scene.

Unread 10/04/2019, 01:48 AM   #9
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

As all damsels, chromis can cause problems in captivity. I would love to hear the 75g/13 chromis success story later when they are fully adult. Some fishes will tolerate a juvenile competitive species but grow to become aggressive towards it later on. When we introduce our aquaria into our aquariums, we often introduce juvenile specimens. We have to wait with reporting our ultimate success until all the aquaria are fully grown adult specimens to be absolutely sure, that we achieved full maximum health/survivability.

I think a school of chromis is something that a lot of saltwater keepers would like to see, damsels just cause so many problems for tank keepers, that it is advisable to be able to take the fish back to the LFS though.

Last edited by Small Heavens; 10/04/2019 at 02:42 AM.
Unread 10/04/2019, 08:39 AM   #10
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

True, I have 4 that are about 2 years, though not sure what constitutes adult status. I have noticed though that once you get over a certain amount, the aggression towards a particular single chromis stops, and the aggression is somewhat randomized within the whole group. And admittedly six months is not a long time…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/04/2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedjeffski View Post
I have a 75 gallon reef tank with a blue tang, some kind of purple Wrasse, two clowns, and 13 Chromises, I bought 13 Chromises six months ago, and I still have 13 Chromises.

And thus that is the fun of this hobby, some things seem to work in one tank but not another. Your tank looks stunning!

Unread 10/04/2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
And thus that is the fun of this hobby, some things seem to work in one tank but not another. Your tank looks stunning!
True absolutely and yes that tank looks super stunning.

Unread 10/04/2019, 02:44 PM   #13
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

Haha, Stunning may be a strong word for my tank, although I appreciate the compliment.

Unread 10/04/2019, 03:27 PM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

psst. Your wrasse is showing, and I think it's a dottyback...if it's the purple fish in the top-right quadrant.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 04:02 PM   #15
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Lols and thanks for lols @nereefpat

And thanks for the stunning view.... even if you do not think it is stunning @Cedjeffski (everyone likes different aquaria, I would probably fill a tank like that out with anemones and Polymnus fishes nomatter how I tried to control myself, which is why I do not keep a bigger setup..)..

Unread 10/05/2019, 09:39 AM   #16
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

Thank you, and since you asked so nicely, here is a current picture! This is what 13 Chromii look like today… light just came on. Things of gotten a little crowded, I might have to upgrade soon.

Unread 10/05/2019, 11:13 AM   #17
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Quote:
Oh, don't change it unless you have to! If the setup is capable of handling it so you run no risk of crashing the balance somewhere, this is really wonderful, anyway, if you upgrade, it could be very interesting to see before and after of the collection as you move it into the new setup.

Unread 10/06/2019, 07:19 AM   #18
daveutile7
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you, and since you asked so nicely, here is a current picture! This is what 13 Chromii look like today… light just came on. Things of gotten a little crowded, I might have to upgrade soon.

I must have missed the joke...... Where are all the fish?

Unread 10/06/2019, 07:31 AM   #19
daveutile7
Registered Member

I think im gonna slow it down for now 10 to 13 of any fish might be too much for me right now. I woke up to find my emerald crab lying upside down with his or her chest opened up. This brings my tanks death count to 3. Two emeralds and a turbo snail. Think its has something to do with my nitrate levels which are pretty high(currently fighting a hair algae bloom). Anyways, very depressing, feel like a murderer, and am going to hibernate till I feel better

Unread 10/06/2019, 08:42 AM   #20
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

They are there, they hide at night, and my light just came on. Maybe I’ll post a picture from feeding time today.

Unread 10/06/2019, 08:54 AM   #21
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

I started with quite a few hermit crabs and turbo snails. One hermit crab got bigger than the others, and I think he’s attacking the smaller ones. Also I had a Turbo Snail die from starvation, because I think I was cleaning my glass too aggressively. I resorted to feeding them nori by hand, and letting the back glass of my tank turn into a Algae grazing area. I also switch the snails in and out of my sump and secondary tank, also attached to the sump. I would say in my experience that it’s pretty hard to guess the exact amount of cleanup crew you will need for a tank, especially if the tank is still establishing itself.

Unread 10/06/2019, 08:56 AM   #22
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

My back glass at night…

Unread 10/06/2019, 09:19 AM   #23
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

OK last picture, I swear. There they are, all 13.

Unread 10/06/2019, 09:42 AM   #24
Cedjeffski
Registered Member

If you are unsure about the stability of your reef environment, I would definitely hold off on adding a bunch of fish. One reason I think schooling fish are easier to keep, is that there are less social variables at work within the tank. My one blue tang kind of herds them around, and he is the undisputed king of the tank, everybody knows their place.