Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2019, 08:11 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Guesses to why my porcelain crab died?

I’ve had a pair of porcelains in my tank for a little while and the last few days they both were doing wonderful - eating, moving around the tank ect..
My bigger one mysteriously died today (found him belly up).

Two hours before I found him dead he was nonchantly eating and walking around.

I tested my water, 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrites, between 0 and 5 ppm of nitrates, ph a little over 8.

My cleaner shrimp and hermits seem to be fine. I can’t figure out why he could have died - any guesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 04:28 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Likely just age.. It happens..

Unread 10/04/2019, 07:11 AM   #3
primo21
Registered Member

sure it wasnt a molt??

primo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 10:21 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
I’ve had a pair of porcelains in my tank for a little while and the last few days they both were doing wonderful - eating, moving around the tank ect..
My bigger one mysteriously died today (found him belly up). ...
What kind of porcelain crab, the white ones with dot patterns which associate with anemones or the greenish ones who normally hide in the rocks during the day.
The anemone associated crabs need a suitable host anemone. Without it they will die rather sooner than later.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 01:21 PM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
What kind of porcelain crab, the white ones with dot patterns which associate with anemones or the greenish ones who normally hide in the rocks during the day.

The anemone associated crabs need a suitable host anemone. Without it they will die rather sooner than later.

Not sure. Its spotted and a darkish gray and hides in the rocks. I know for a fact It was not an anemone porcelain though - they sold those guys separately. I have a second one that appears to be doing good. Actually molted a little after I posted this thread.

Unread 10/04/2019, 02:05 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Is it one that looks like this:

I had a bunch of them but they all disappeared over time and I'm not sure why. They are primarily filter feeders, but they should also be able to get by on scavenging frozen fish foods like mysis.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 10/04/2019, 06:05 PM   #7
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it one that looks like this:

I had a bunch of them but they all disappeared over time and I'm not sure why. They are primarily filter feeders, but they should also be able to get by on scavenging frozen fish foods like mysis.

That’s him!! I’ve been feeding frozen mysis once daily and I also added pods the day after I got them - just threw them in, no refugium.

Unread 10/04/2019, 09:35 PM   #8
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

I second age. I believe they only live 2-3 years on average. You may have gotten one that was already 2 years old when it was collected.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2019, 11:02 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The anemone crabs must live longer than these porcelain crabs. I have one that is over 3 years old and still not fully grown. This would parallel the unusually long life expectancy of anemonefish which is about 3 times as long as that of equally sized damselfish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/05/2019, 08:19 AM   #10
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
The anemone crabs must live longer than these porcelain crabs. I have one that is over 3 years old and still not fully grown. This would parallel the unusually long life expectancy of anemonefish which is about 3 times as long as that of equally sized damselfish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The other one did not molt - it died too! I thought I saw a molt when I left yesterday morning but when I just checked all I could find are pieces of what is clearly the actual crab, and sure enough he’s nowhere to be found in the rocks.
My red legged hermits, Halloween hermits, and cleaner shrimp all seem fine. I can’t figure out what happened

Unread 10/09/2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Crab for lunch!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2019, 06:13 PM   #12
reefinJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Crab for lunch!
Lol. All I know the average lifespan of porcelain crabs is 2 years.

reefinJ is offline   Reply With Quote