Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2019, 03:22 PM   #1
hkgar
Registered Member

How to get him out of tank?

Atlantic Blue Tang who killed my Malanurus and cause my my Purple to starve to death by preventing to get to any of the food sources. ( I feed one or two Romain leves per day plus 1/2 sheet of Nori.) Now he is attempting to keep my two Barred from eating. I put Nori in clips on the sides of the tank and the Romaine lettuce on clips on the front of the tank. He guards each feeding station as if it was his own and if the Two Bar gets close he goes after it.

He is about 7 inches long.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s4pCtqhYJyeQ5Wxd9

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 10/12/2019 at 03:35 PM.
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2019, 04:49 PM   #2
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Fish trap will probably your best bet. Put the food in the trap and he will get used to it and you can catch him within a couple of days. Can easily make one yourself.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2019, 05:01 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
Fish trap will probably your best bet. Put the food in the trap and he will get used to it and you can catch him within a couple of days. Can easily make one yourself.
And what kind of fish trap would you suggest that won't catch any of my other 20 fish and is suitable for a fish that is 4 inches high and 6+ inches long?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2019, 06:01 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A net

Unread 10/12/2019, 10:31 PM   #5
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
And what kind of fish trap would you suggest that won't catch any of my other 20 fish and is suitable for a fish that is 4 inches high and 6+ inches long?
Aqua medic makes one that is 11x7x7 with a trigger mechanism. It’s pricey, but probably not more than your losses would be worth to you. As far as catching the other fish, you can’t keep them out but you can only trigger the trap when the offending fish is in it. Move the trap to a 5 gallon bucket about half full of tank water and pull the good fish out and put them back in the display.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 03:43 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

A fish trap as mentioned above. Ideally one with a door that you open and close via a string. I use a Reef Gently Acclimate. The door raises via a string and drops via gravity. When I needed to get rougue fish out I do it one of two ways. First, I leave the trap in the tank for a day with the door open so the fish get used to it. You can even add food to the trap so they get used to eating in it. Then bait it with some frozen food and keep the door shut and watch from a distance holding the string. The fish will try to get in the trap when they smell the food. When the target fish tries getting at it, I open the door enough to let it in and then drop the door. This method has worked great and is how I trapped my Atlantic Blue. If the fish is really aggressive, tape a mirror to the back of the trap. When it sees its reflection, it will go in and attack itself. Then drop the door. If you get more than one fish, pull the trap and remove the target fish by hand and dump the other fish back in the tank.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 06:19 AM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
A net

^^^this^^^

x 2. Really. 2 nets. Leave one in the tank near the food for a few days so that it gets used to it being there. then, while feeding, use the pair of nets to corner the offender. I learned the 2 net method years ago at the LFS I worked at. You can pretty much catch any fish in short order that way. If you have to, remove enough rocks so that it cannot hide.

Or an m80 to stun it.......

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I got my purple out one night about 2 am by turning the lights on. I had to coax him out of the rocks but he was slow from being "asleep". Netting was easy.
That's how they get them out of 20,000 gallons too.

Unread 10/13/2019, 11:08 AM   #9
lagatbezan
Registered Member

This is my home made on. I used to catch all 3 of my yellow tang, purple and a powder blue when I was upgrading from my 180-300. I put the seaweed rubber-banded to a small rock inside it and fed only that for about a week. They would get so accustomed to it that they would chase inside it as soon as the food went it. when inside, pull the string and the top closes.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 03:19 PM   #10
RobbyG
Registered Member

LOL if anybody ever thinks catching fish is hard, just wait until you get an Octopus surprise inside some new live rock. I have had two cases of it. The buggers eat your small fish one by one at night and then they hide in the rocks in the day. The first one came out easily, I just left the hood open one night and found him on the floor the next morning. The second one must have had a PHD as he never fell for that or any form of trap I tried. In the end I had to tear down the tank and put each rock in a separate bucket. after a few hours of poking every hole in each rock I found him.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote