Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2016, 12:03 PM   #101
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Triton has had some technical problems the past couple weeks related to updating their website and interfaces. So, they are discarding any samples they have that weren't tested that are 2 weeks old. I'll have to redo the Aquaforest Reef Salt again. They are sending new vials to people. I have all three versions of the aquaforest salt to test now too.
Brother I want to personally thank you for the time, effort, and money you have spent to share your results with us. That is the reason I post my results and videos so that there is current up to date information regarding the Salts that are out there. Keep the test coming all of the information is appreciated.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 12:05 PM   #102
jason2459
Registered Member

Thanks, I was waiting to get the results back for the Aquaforest Reef salt to update the spreadsheet with everything since the last update but looks like that's been delayed.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2016, 12:32 PM   #103
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
WTH

Aquaforest Reef Salt.

This is not the probiotic version. I looked at their parameters as posted by aquaforest and looked pretty similar between the main 3 Alk, Ca, and Mg. Triton and I are not going to be able to test for those organics and figured its not worth the time or money to test both versons. I did get the basic marine salt and will so that one next.

There is listed slightly more Iron in the non-probiotic version which I would figure it would be the other way around as some microbes to uptake Fe. The Probiotic version includes Br but this version says it does NOT. We'll see

It came with this little sheet

Description on their site:
Designed for aquariums with more demanding SPS and LPS corals. It does not contain bromides and can be used with the assisted by ozone filtration. It does not contain any probiotic bacteria or growth media. Phosphate and nitrate free. Upon filling new marine tanks it is recommended to let animals in not earlier than after 10-14 days.

And their website gives these ranges
Quote:
Looks like you need to read between some lines for aquaforest. The parameters listed and QC tested look to be for 33ppt.

Also, just noticed the bucket says Low Bromide and their site description says no bromide. Will find out soon enough with in Triton's LOD.

At a high 35ppt
Salifert Ca: 475
Salifert Alk: 8.6
Salifert Mg: 1590
Doing this one again. Triton had some technical issues when I sent this one in annd they sent me back a new envelope to send in a new sample.

I have mixed it up to possibly a hair under 35ppt but I'm happy with the numbers tested and lines up with previous tests listed above and lines up with the line looking a hair under 35ppt this time.

Ca: 450
Alk: 8.16
Mg: 1560

Looking forward to seeing what their definition of low Br is.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/19/2016, 09:08 PM   #104
jason2459
Registered Member

Doesn't look like low Br to me. Not significantly lower then any other saltmix

There's an issue with me getting on their website right now on my phone so took some pictures from my laptop screen.

Unread 08/19/2016, 09:09 PM   #105
jason2459
Registered Member

Dolphin browser is working

Unread 08/19/2016, 09:10 PM   #106
jason2459
Registered Member

Unread 08/19/2016, 09:11 PM   #107
jason2459
Registered Member

Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt

Supposed to be QC'd to

Keep in mind those are at 33ppt.

Tried to match the salinity mark I had for the Reef blend to get as close of a comparison as I could between the two.

So, at a low 35ppt
Ca: 420
Alk: 7.04
Mg: 1485

Unread 08/23/2016, 05:30 PM   #108
jason2459
Registered Member

RedSea Coral Pro

Did this last night but finally getting a chance to post the number.

What they say

Instructions I showed inaccurate

And what I get at 35ppt

Ca: 430
Alk: 12.16
Mg: 1425

Last edited by jason2459; 08/23/2016 at 05:51 PM.
Unread 08/24/2016, 08:52 AM   #109
WestTxReefer
Registered Member

So I have been using the HW salt mix, but after testing, ive found that my results are as follows.

78 degrees
1.026 specific gravity, with a calibrated brs refractometer
calc 435 red sea coral pro
alk 8 dkh, hanna meter,
mag 1100 elos mag test kit

I was using the red sea coral pro salt mix before this stuff and never had any issues with any of my levels and rarely had to dose anything. Now I have constant alk issues and developed a hair algae problem almost immediately after switching. I will be switching back to coral pro as soon as possible. I do have a question and I tried searching among the boards, but came up with a bunch of random answers and inconclusive results. My alk with coral pro stayed at a constant 10 - 10.2 dkh, and now it remains in the high 7's. Could this cause an algae out break? My tank is 2 years old and nitrate, phos and just about any other nuisance nutrient I can test for are all coming back undetectable. I know this is probably not the best place to ask, but I am considering switching back to coral pro and was wondering if this would help with my issue. Sorry if its inappropriate.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD Marineland, upcoming shallow reef tank
WestTxReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 09:15 AM   #110
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTxReefer View Post
So I have been using the HW salt mix, but after testing, ive found that my results are as follows.

78 degrees
1.026 specific gravity, with a calibrated brs refractometer
calc 435 red sea coral pro
alk 8 dkh, hanna meter,
mag 1100 elos mag test kit

I was using the red sea coral pro salt mix before this stuff and never had any issues with any of my levels and rarely had to dose anything. Now I have constant alk issues and developed a hair algae problem almost immediately after switching. I will be switching back to coral pro as soon as possible. I do have a question and I tried searching among the boards, but came up with a bunch of random answers and inconclusive results. My alk with coral pro stayed at a constant 10 - 10.2 dkh, and now it remains in the high 7's. Could this cause an algae out break? My tank is 2 years old and nitrate, phos and just about any other nuisance nutrient I can test for are all coming back undetectable. I know this is probably not the best place to ask, but I am considering switching back to coral pro and was wondering if this would help with my issue. Sorry if its inappropriate.
Alk is not a likely cause of algae, no. Some salts are closer to NSW levels, like the HW. Alk in the ocean is about 8, give or take. With the ultra-low nutrient systems a lot of people like and use, you don't want your alk any higher than about 9, which is why these salts are popular.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 09:19 AM   #111
WestTxReefer
Registered Member

ok, thanks for the input. Ive never had any issues with algae growth until I switched over. I'm starting to think I have a hot dog hiding in the live rock somewhere from one of my toddlers throwing stuff around in the house lol. ( I'm joking, we don't throw hotdogs) I still think I'm going to switch back, for more then a couple reasons, but mostly because of stability.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD Marineland, upcoming shallow reef tank
WestTxReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 01:38 PM   #112
Crawdads57
Registered Member.

In general, what affect would you all expect temperature to have on the basic 3 tests? For example, my mixing apparatus is at about 82.5* because of the heat from my pump and that I use one of those always-on type heaters like are sold for fishbowls. So I had never really taken temp into account when testing, but I imagine that I am a little north of 80* for most of my tests. According to my laser kitchen thermometer, most surfaces in my house are 73.5* so I could easily let my test sample come to that temp. If I did, do you think my tests for Ca / Alk / Mg would be higher or lower than at ~80*?

Crawdads57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 02:38 PM   #113
mattsreefadise
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark426 View Post
Average of 3 Salifert /Hanna for PO4

Brand: hw-Marine Mix Reefer
Temp: 78.6
Salinity: 1.026

Alkalinity: 8.6
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1380
PO4: 0
K: 390-400*

* Trition Labs

This is also what I've gotten twice on Triton tests and at-home testing.
Have you noticed that molybdenum is high on your Triton test?

Unread 08/24/2016, 06:57 PM   #114
bertoni
RC Mod

The temperature shouldn't affect calcium, alkalinity, or magnesium kits, within the range you specified.

Unread 08/25/2016, 07:07 AM   #115
Xxero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTxReefer View Post
I'm starting to think I have a hot dog hiding in the live rock somewhere from one of my toddlers throwing stuff around in the house lol.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 08:43 AM   #116
Crawdads57
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
The temperature shouldn't affect calcium, alkalinity, or magnesium kits, within the range you specified.
Good to know! Because I had a salt manufacturer tell me that when I was explaining the descrepancies I found with the stated parameters and my repeated tests. When I asked how temp might affect tests of Ca/Alk/Mg I was told that I would have to ask the individual test kit's manafucaturers.

Ok, I realize this is a little off topic for this thread, so I'll just follow along to see if anyone posts my salt and their test results. Thanks!

Crawdads57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 01:39 PM   #117
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome. Good luck!

Unread 08/27/2016, 03:56 PM   #118
jason2459
Registered Member

Aquaforest reached out to me and offered to test the salt via their ICP-OES equipment. I'm just waiting to hear back how much of the dry salt to send them. It will be to Polland.

Pretty cool they actively reached out to me which was nice. I'll send them both the probiotic and reef blend to see how their testing lines up with Triton's.

Unread 08/28/2016, 06:11 PM   #119
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
Aquaforest reached out to me and offered to test the salt via their ICP-OES equipment. I'm just waiting to hear back how much of the dry salt to send them. It will be to Polland.

Pretty cool they actively reached out to me which was nice. I'll send them both the probiotic and reef blend to see how their testing lines up with Triton's.
That is awesome of Aquaforest. On a youtube vid I posted test results and Tropic Marin left a comment recommending their Bioactif salt. I replied to the comment asking for a small sample if the Bioactif salt so that I could upload a vid of the test results. I have yet to hear back. Next time I think about switching salts ill consider Aquaforest. To me customer service is everything hence why I will never buy any instant ocean salt again.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 06:59 PM   #120
jason2459
Registered Member

I do have questions of their quality control. I'll send them the batches of salt and eventually swing back around and get another batch of the Reef salt to test and see what the S content is at. The sample of the probiotic from Tompot showed a lot of Al.

Unread 08/29/2016, 06:44 AM   #121
jason2459
Registered Member

So, I underestimated what AquaForest is offering to do for me. They are willing to test any saltmix I want to send them. That is a very generous offer and plan to take them up on that offer.

Of course its not exactly a 3rd party so will not post the mix I'm testing on here before getting results back.

Unread 08/29/2016, 08:38 PM   #122
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459, post: 3115166, member: 56516
Speaking of which...

Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt

Supposed to be QC'd to

Keep in mind those are at 33ppt.

Tried to match the salinity mark I had for the Reef blend to get as close of a comparison as I could between the two.

So, at a low 35ppt
Ca: 420
Alk: 7.04
Mg: 1485
And here's Triton's results.

Sulfur not nearly as low and matches tompot's triton results for probiotic mix but still lower then many of the other brands.

Salinity I tried to match to the reef mix and Triton's test results calculate higher at 33.97PSU. Could be the higher S content or just mixed higher even though I did try matching.

Barium is still high with this mix as well. I don't know if this is bad or not but good if you need to take your fish in for a GI scan I guess.

Al thankfully did not match tompot's triton results which were very high.

Li is pretty low for both aquaforest mixes and tropic marine pro. For anyone looking for a low Li salt for one reason or another.

Unread 08/30/2016, 09:57 AM   #123
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459, post: 3125460, member: 56516
RedSea Coral Pro

Did this last night but finally getting a chance to post the number.

What they say

Instructions I showed inaccurate

And what I get at 35ppt

Ca: 430
Alk: 12.16
Mg: 1425

And Triton's results

Elevated amounts of Mn and I but really pretty good numbers. Alk is on the high side but that could be good to help supplement that too in small water changes.

Salinity is estimated at just over 33PSU.

I'm fnding this interesting. Going to go back to my normal mark I use for 35ppt and also weigh back out a 35ppt standard but from Jim Randy's recipe is to PSU. So, I guess I should specify that and will line up with the calculated estimated values.

Next mix should reflect that.

I have a batch of 50 sterile 50ml vials on order and waiting to get those in to start sending sample over to Aquaforest.

Unread 08/30/2016, 02:53 PM   #124
bertoni
RC Mod

If you'd like to turn this data into a table, I think it'd make a nice sticky note...

Unread 08/30/2016, 06:43 PM   #125
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
If you'd like to turn this data into a table, I think it'd make a nice sticky note...
There's the images I posted above and need to update them with the latest results.

I can try and figure out how to convert to BB code tabs