Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2020, 01:18 PM   #76
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I finally won my battle 2 year battle with GHA. I had used Fluconazole before but this time I used the Blue life brand which is nice because you don’t have to spend 1/2 hr opening pills.

Anyways, saw little for the first week, 2nd week was dramatic. Ending the 3rd week and there are just a few stragglers but they are white and don’t look healthy at all.
Did you just use the standard recommended dose? After the 3 weeks, did you begin water changes to remove the fluconazole?

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2020, 02:44 PM   #77
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
Did you just use the standard recommended dose? After the 3 weeks, did you begin water changes to remove the fluconazole?

Yes, standard dosage, three weeks will be on Tuesday. So there’s no long-term evaluation for you however I can tell you this it is never been so clean from Algae in the previous two years regardless of how much plucking I did.

In my case, it seems that UV sterilizer and GAC were the magic bullets that took out Dino’s

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2020, 01:10 PM   #78
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

In the last two weeks, I've been scrubbed the rocks 2x and been blasting them with baster 3x per day. I dosed 10g of Spectracide stump remover two days ago to bring nitrates up from 0 to 10ppm.

I now believe it was GHA but turf algae with dinos on top that made it appear like GHA. The dinos are coolia and likely coolia tropicalis.

Here current are pictures. The algae and dinos are slowly receeding.

This has been a LONG process, and I haven't added much of a CUC to this tank because I was taking everything slowly and then this happened and my snails were dying. Presumably from the dinos.

In two weeks, I'm going to add a fairly large CUC of turbos and trochus. There is plenty of food for them.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2020, 10:02 AM   #79
mrtint
Registered Member

How is your tank doing? Did you win the battle?
I will say your story mirrored mine and thanks to the post that recommended Vibrant...... I won the battle time will tell if i will win the war. I have no idea how it works but after my second week there was a noticeable difference and after week 3 it was gone. I had a small spot of bubble algae between a mushroom colony that took the whole 3 weeks to disappear. I did zero manual removal other than my weekly water changes and filter socks. I basically only clean my glass once a week now. I have a 50/50 mix of SPS and LPS with no change other than everything has colored up like crazy. I really don’t know the long term impact but my tank has never looked better.
I will post some before and after pics for you when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 06:51 PM   #80
mrtint
Registered Member

My battle with GHA, my "parameters" and the future: a diary

Tank before Vibrant and tank 3 weeks after using vibrant. My tank is 225gal with 100gal sump. I only have 200gal of water after displacement. I used 20mil once a week. The pictures below posted backwards so the first group is AFTER treatment. The last 3 pictures are before is started
Looks at rock between corals

Tank after 3 week

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200220/c36152dd54eaabe24c05b41dfa034c9d.jpg[/

Tank when I started below

IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mrtint; 02/19/2020 at 06:59 PM.
mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2020, 12:10 AM   #81
bertoni
RC Mod

That's a very pretty tank!