Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

RO waste water what do you do with it?

Ok posted as public service... lol!

I use my rejection water for everything. I collect it in a 32 gallon brute bin and then use for flushing my toliets, doing my dishes, doing laundry everything. The way I look at it as free RO water for water I would have used anyway.

Anyone as nuts as I am?

Rhodesholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2020, 08:40 PM   #2
RBU1
Moving on Up

No. Your nutzzzzzz. Mine goes right down the drain. Too much work. Flushing toilets. Come on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2020, 08:42 PM   #3
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

So you can't carry a 5 gallon bucket?

Man get to the gym!

Unread 01/06/2020, 08:45 PM   #4
RBU1
Moving on Up

Not that I can’t. Too much work to take a **** and have to go get my bucket to flush. You must live in California.

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

In all serious if you let it go down the drain think of the waste.

Take care of mother earth.

Nope Wisconsin.

I put the waste water drain right in my washing machine. When filled I do a load of laundry. 60 gallons for wash and rinse that would have gone down the drain. See my point? Agreed the toliet thing is extreme but just saying.

Last edited by Rhodesholar; 01/06/2020 at 08:52 PM.
Unread 01/06/2020, 09:20 PM   #6
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesholar View Post
Ok posted as public service... lol!

I use my rejection water for everything. I collect it in a 32 gallon brute bin and then use for flushing my toliets, doing my dishes, doing laundry everything. The way I look at it as free RO water for water I would have used anyway.

Anyone as nuts as I am?
The waste water is not RO water. Its waste water that have high contaminates and heavy metals. Careful this water is not for human consumption.
Even taking this water to yard I stopped doing cause grass did not look good after couple of months living on the produced waste water...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ohashimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2020, 09:38 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Using it for toilet flushing puts you a bit into the "nuts" column in my book..
I use plastic straws and don't think the climate is going to be destroyed in 10 years :0

Unread 01/06/2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

To ohashimz comment.

How can there be more then was originaly there? I don't drink it.

Also I have a well. Coming in on my meter is .52 and going out is 0.

Flushing the toliet yea I get it. Again just saying.

No harm in doing your laundry in that case.

Unread 01/06/2020, 09:51 PM   #9
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
To ohashimz comment.

How can there be more then was originaly there? I don't drink it.

Also I have a well. Coming in on my meter is .52 and going out is 0.

Flushing the toliet yea I get it. Again just saying.
Its more of the contaminate per gallon ratio. Not that you will have more contaminate than the input line..
The waste output contaminate per gallon ratio will be higher than the input line contaminate per gallon ratio.. which means the contaminates more dilution on the input than what it would be on the waste line.

That's how the rodi filter work.
It seprate contaminats from the water and give u 2 outputs: one pure water, one water with contaminates...

The evidence is easy: what's the tds of your rodi output, and what's the tds of the waste?

Last edited by ohashimz; 01/06/2020 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 01/06/2020, 11:34 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

With a 4:1 waste ratio, the output will be about 25% higher in some ions than the input. On the other hand, it'll have fewer precipitates, and the activated carbon will remove some things. For low-TDS input water, the waste water probably is fine for a wide variety of uses.

Unread 01/06/2020, 11:41 PM   #11
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
Its more of the contaminate per gallon ratio. Not that you will have more contaminate than the input line..
The waste output contaminate per gallon ratio will be higher than the input line contaminate per gallon ratio.. which means the contaminates more dilution on the input than what it would be on the waste line.

That's how the rodi filter work.
It seprate contaminats from the water and give u 2 outputs: one pure water, one water with contaminates...

The evidence is easy: what's the tds of your rodi output, and what's the tds of the waste?

Complete PIA but you asked. I had switch my connections around

.56 on input. Waste water out .48. RODI out 0

If you don't believe me I will post pictures of my meter.

Last edited by Rhodesholar; 01/06/2020 at 11:46 PM.
Unread 01/07/2020, 12:16 AM   #12
ohashimz
Registered Member

Quote:
Complete PIA but you asked. I had switch my connections around

.56 on input. Waste water out .48. RODI out 0

If you don't believe me I will post pictures of my meter.
Ha ha, no, of courses believe you. Maybe am complicating things.
I just thought the. Waste water is heavy water and should not be used for drinking. I remember reading something about that on a consumer report page regarding homes RO units but again maybe I am mistaken..
I stand correct)

Unread 01/07/2020, 05:37 AM   #13
alton
Registered Member

Works great on my wife's flowers with chloramines removed which is not the greatest for plants/algae. I just added 50' to the drain line and drag it around to her flower pots and beds.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 06:59 AM   #14
hegeh
Registered Member

Me.. i wash my pets with it.. do you think its ok? LoL. Also i wash my toilets too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 08:03 AM   #15
albano
SALTWATER since '73

My house plants grow much better with the waste water... been using it for ~20 years!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 03:35 PM   #16
bertoni
RC Mod

If the chloramine is broken down into ammonia, a bit of it would be fine as a plant fertilizer, at least for many situations. Higher concentrations might be an issue, though.

Unread 01/07/2020, 03:54 PM   #17
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Higher efficiency dual membranes, a permeate pump and keeping the membranes flushed on a regular basis can get you to a 1:1 product to waste water ratio...

Less waste water is even better for the environment!

"Just get me to the airport put me on a plane" - The Ramones
Want2BS8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 05:10 PM   #18
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

i water my plants with it

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 06:08 PM   #19
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

Excellent.

My point was even though I may be a bit extreme is why let all that water go down the drain. I look at it as water I would have used anyway so free RO water.

I didn't realize until I started saving my rejection water just how much RO water I could make out of water I had to use anyway. Also I realized how much water I go through on an average day. One load of laundry is like 60 gallons of water. So I just put my rejection line in the washer, make RO water drain the rejection into the washer and then do a load of laundry.

My point is we take great care of our water filled boxes, so we should take care of the resources that enable us to care of those boxes.

Last edited by Rhodesholar; 01/07/2020 at 07:15 PM.
Unread 01/09/2020, 02:09 PM   #20
mrtint
Registered Member

In California they charge us to look at water. If we are in a drought that year then thinking about water can cost a pretty penny.
My point is...... they are going to charge me regardless of what I do with it so I take great satisfaction on watching it run down my driveway into the gutter and down the street
FYI....... that’s a joke!!!! I actually have my waste line run to my fountain to replace evaporated water. Might not be as good as watering plants but at least it’s a second use.

mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2020, 02:50 PM   #21
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
In all serious if you let it go down the drain think of the waste.

Take care of mother earth.

Nope Wisconsin.

I put the waste water drain right in my washing machine. When filled I do a load of laundry. 60 gallons for wash and rinse that would have gone down the drain. See my point? Agreed the toliet thing is extreme but just saying.
What waste? Water waste is the most idiotic of all the environmentalists claims of doom and destruction.

Down the drain, to a sewage treatment facility and back into the river or lake and once again available for use You can't deplete water, at least not by pouring it down the drain.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2020, 06:43 PM   #22
Rhodesholar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
What waste? Water waste is the most idiotic of all the environmentalists claims of doom and destruction.

Down the drain, to a sewage treatment facility and back into the river or lake and once again available for use You can't deplete water, at least not by pouring it down the drain.
You make a good point but I am coming at this from a totally different angle. I don't live in a city. I have my own well and septic. Every time I use water my pump has to run which uses electricity and costs me. All the water if it were to go down my drain has to get pumped out by my sump. All that water goes out to my septic and then out to my drain field where mother nature deals with it.

But you do make an excellent point for the water reclamation systems. Like I said a little different for me but your angle is well taken.

Unread 01/09/2020, 09:20 PM   #23
jfeva0049
Registered Member

Quote:
You make a good point but I am coming at this from a totally different angle. I don't live in a city. I have my own well and septic. Every time I use water my pump has to run which uses electricity and costs me. All the water if it were to go down my drain has to get pumped out by my sump. All that water goes out to my septic and then out to my drain field where mother nature deals with it.

But you do make an excellent point for the water reclamation systems. Like I said a little different for me but your angle is well taken.
i think you are doing a good thing. i would be willing to bet that way of thinking has served you well in many other aspects of life.

cheers

jfeva0049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2020, 12:05 AM   #24
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
]Down the drain, to a sewage treatment facility and back into the river or lake and once again available for use
Waste water flows in San Francisco Bay in my area. It takes a lot more to get fresh water back once it's mixed into the ocean.

Unread 01/10/2020, 05:44 AM   #25
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Waste water flows in San Francisco Bay in my area. It takes a lot more to get fresh water back once it's mixed into the ocean.

Actually it is a pretty simple process. Evaporation, westerly winds, and rain return it.
Otherwise with all those rivers rushing water from the heartland to the oceans would soon deplete all of our fresh water.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 01/10/2020 at 05:51 AM.
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote